Archinect
anchor

Barbecue Season Is Almost Here!

Manteno_Montenegro

Summer is on it's way sooner or later, so that means time to clean the grill off and get cookin'. Since the membership base of Archinect is comprised of so many unique people, I wanted to see where everyone stood on cuts of beef when it's time to fire that grill up.

Here is a list of virtually every cut of beef available. A photograph of each cut has been painstakingly provided for visual reference.

So let us know your grilling tips, tricks, and recipes for an outstanding meal. Bon Appetit!

Beef Chuck

Blade Chuck Roast

Chuck Eye Steak

Cross Rib Roast

Pot Roast

Beef Rib Cuts

Rib Eye Steak

Rib Roast

Beef Loin Cuts

Filet Mignon

Porterhouse Steak

Sirloin Steak

T-Bone Steak

Top Sirloin Steak

Tri-Tip Roast

Beef Round Cuts

Top Round Steak (London Broil)

Top Round Steak

Rump Roast

Breast & Flank Cuts

Hanger Steak

Flank Steak

Short Ribs

Skirt Steak

Misc. Cuts

Beef Bones

Beef Shank

Cube Steak

Ground Beef (Hamburger)

Oxtail

Beef Stew Meat

Feb 22, 05 3:52 pm
e

for the most tender chicken you've ever had >> beer can chicken >>

Feb 22, 05 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

You are right about that e. I have one and should probably cook one tonight. I also got a gas stovetop type of grill contraption that is not much unlike an outdoor grill. Great for fish.

Feb 22, 05 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

I'd prefer to BBQ this bad boy

Feb 22, 05 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
Alaninabox

what is going on with that chicken? how is that being cooked...and where can I get the parts to do it?

Feb 22, 05 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

Alan, there is no better way to make juicy, tender chicken than with beer and an S-Load of spices. You don't even need that stand, I got one for Christmas but until then just stuck the beer can up it's tailpipe and get it cooking.

I forget the timing, maybe e knows. The more spices the better! Just make sure you only use about 1/4 of the beer, it can make a real mess otherwise.

Feb 22, 05 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
VanWinkle

Alan, there is no better way to make juicy, tender chicken than with beer and an S-Load of spices. You don't even need that stand, I got one for Christmas but until then just stuck the beer can up it's tailpipe and get it cooking.

I forget the timing, maybe e knows. The more spices the better! Just make sure you only use about 1/4 of the beer, it can make a real mess otherwise.

Feb 22, 05 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

WTF?

Feb 22, 05 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

i like the rib eye or straight ribs (with bone). i usually make a dry rub marinade letting it sit over night. the best time is making it when camping or hiking. eating good on the trail is hard to do and makes any good meal taste just that much better.

Feb 22, 05 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
e

alan, manteno is right. no stand required. i prefer doing an oil can chicken. that's using a foster's oil can.

preheat grill. indirect medium heat is the best. rub with vegetable oil. rub desired spices over chicken inside and out. open beer. drink half of it. set half can of beer on flat surface and slide can into cavity of chicken. place chicken on grill balancing the bird on it's 2 legs and the can. shut lid of grill. cook untill juices run clear and internal temp is 170 in breast and 180 in thickest part of thigh. about 1.25 to 1.5 hours. let chicken rest 10 minutes before removing it from can. pure heaven.

Feb 22, 05 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

What's the preferred method for an oven? I seem to have forgotten how long I do it.

Feb 22, 05 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.
Feb 22, 05 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
e

i have not done a beer can chicken in the oven. if you do it that way, i would have a drip pan below. julia childs method is a slower cooking which i think is better. 425 for the first 15 minutes. then lower to 350 for about 1.5 hours. when skin begins to brown, baste with juices. again, make sure juices are clear and same internal temps are achieved.

Feb 22, 05 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.
Feb 22, 05 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
stainB

it's just started snowing in London... BBQ have to wait.

Feb 22, 05 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

If you have the issue of GQ from January, they have a great article on making a roast chicken in the oven.
Not done it yet, though.

Feb 22, 05 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
noguy

hey, do you guys and gals know the rules involving roof top grilling in nyc specifically the east village area? Can it be done legally? What kind of grills would every recommend?

Feb 22, 05 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

snowing here too guess i ll order a pizza

Feb 22, 05 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

I AM SO HUNGRY!!!!!

THIS TOPIC IS SO UNFAIR!!!!!!!!!!!

But that is one hot lookin chick. That way of cooking is truly the best. but to further elaborate on the "on-the-can chicken," just about any liquid in a can will do. i prefer to drink the beer (why waste good brew) and refill the can with something more fragrant. Its better to have 2 cans- one for holding the chicken upright and another on the grill over the top of the indirect coals so that it really gets the steam going. you may have to refill with some liquid halfway through.

try the juice of 3 lemons/throw in the peels/ water and a few sprigs of rosemary and a small stick of cinnamon

or some Pernod and thyme

basically any liquid that will give off a flavored steam will work well.

and my choice of red meat is elk. you cant beat a tasty freshly bagged elk steak!

Feb 22, 05 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
e

very true suture. i like your idea. i like the taste of beer with mine though, and a half a fosters won't set you back that much. you might want to smoke some wood chips too. ha, let me clarify. you shouldn't smoke the wood chip, but use the wood chips to smoke the chicken. unless you like smoking wood chips.

Feb 22, 05 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

aaah, i'll second the elk stake.

Feb 22, 05 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
db

barbeque "season"? barbeque season is any time I'm willing to venture outside and fire up the grill. mostly, this ranges from 40-100+ degrees outside, but I've been known to put a coat on when it's below freezing just to go throw some steaks on and do em right! there's no such thing as barbeque season, only wusses who think it's a summer-only thing!

Feb 22, 05 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

god i want some bbq'd anything

Feb 22, 05 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

[drool] porterhouse [/drool]

Feb 23, 05 9:07 am  · 
 · 
higgsARCH

thats a lot of meat

Feb 23, 05 9:40 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

looking at those steaks is like looking at PLAYBOY

damn - usually prefer steaks with trim on the exterior allows the meat to retain juicy as the fat singes or burnes off falling into the flame and further ignition. Nice a tell you nice

jus' gimme some jerk!

Feb 23, 05 9:54 am  · 
 · 
Suture

im going to BBQ some SPAM for you jerkies who mangle precious beef.

Feb 23, 05 10:34 am  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

Well, I made a chicken on a Fosters can this weekend, it was great. A tight squeeze compared to a normal can, but it stood up alot better.

Made a mixture of olive oil, Italian spices, butter and a few other things, made some slices here and there and poured it beneath the skin. If anyone ever tells you to make a chicken like this without skin, they're wrong. It may be bad for you but it's just a part of the taste that can't be denied.

Put it in the oven on 400 for 30 minutes, then at about 325 for 60 minutes. It was excellent.

Found an interesting recipe here that I might try:

4 whole chicken
4 can of beer
8 tablespoons chopped onion
8 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
12 cloves garlic minced

Wash and trim chickens. While the brisket and the ribs are cooking, open 4 beers one at a time and drink half and only half. With a can opener, cut the top of the beer can off. Add onion, vinegar and garlic to beer. When it's time to cook the chickens place the beer in the middle of the rack. Carefully place the chicken over the beer standing up, careful it might be a little tough after two beers and whatever else you've decided to partake in. You might need to get a little creative to make it stand up properly. Make sure the beer can is completely covered by the chicken. Smoke for about 4 hours or until the skin is a dark tan, the meat is pink and juices run clear.

Mar 2, 05 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
e

good deal manteno. yeah, i would never roast a chicken without the skin. it will only dry it out. with regards to that recipe, not sure you need to cut the top of the can off. sounds like a lot of work for not. i've never done. did it say why?

Mar 2, 05 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
Charles Ellinwood

rock salt...

try marinating a piece of meat just in rock salt. be sure to press the salt into the meat so that it gets cooked in.

thicker cuts work better.

Mar 2, 05 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
cvankle

Any of you grillers heard of The Big Green Egg? It is an amazing grill, it gets much hotter than a regular charcoal grill and as a result it sears in the juices in the meat, leaving a much more tender and juicy result. It is great for pretty much anything, kinda pricey but they are worth it, not sure how well known these things are so just thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Mar 2, 05 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
e

gotta a picture. never heard of it.

Mar 2, 05 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

they had it in everybody's fave mag dwell a few months back.

Mar 2, 05 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Wow, hot topic. I guess it's no secret how we architects all feel about bbq-ing.

Mar 3, 05 12:04 am  · 
 · 
linton

Great topic. Now here's a bbq technique that you might want to try. It works with any type of meat. Everyone loves this and everytime I've tried it there's just no end to the compliments!

Do this: Get just some regular twine (thread might also work) and weave it through the grill. Don't cut it yet!

Next, dip one end of the twine into olive oil and tie a slip knot.

Get the meat ready by standing it up vertical on whatever apparatus you have for making that happen.

Take the natural "glaze" of the meat and mix it with a tsp. of vinegar.

Now, get that twine ready because things are starting to heat up, fast.

Quickly scrape that woven twine on the grill with an unfurled paper clip. Poke the meat, once, twice, and a thrid time before attaching the clip to the slipknot end of the twine. Get some more oil and heat up some sauce that you would like with your meat.

Remember to keep dipping the knot into the oil as you work quickly to force the meat DOWN and OVER the twine. Keep the meat vertical! Here comes the tricky part: poke the meat with the clip rapidly until it starts to slant, then, with the other hand, slip the slip knot over the bbq knob. Now you can cut the twine. Decrease the heat and close the lid.

Enjoy with your favorite sauce!

Mar 3, 05 3:00 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

i grilled up two of these bad boys on tuesday night... i had to brush the snow off of the grill but it was soooo worth it.

Mar 3, 05 8:47 am  · 
 · 
linton

That's great for you 3ifs! I thought that "bad boys" part was really funny, very original. Or maybe BOTS already referred to some meat as "bad boy". In any case, that's just very hilarious. Now, it seems like you're ready for an advanced bbq tip. And since you are in the snow, this will be especially useful. Here it is:

First, get a few more of those "bad boys" you grilled up on tuesday night.

Next, stand them up vertical. (A wire coat-hanger works well for this purpose)

Now, do you have a belt? Good. Put one end of the hanger through the second or third hole in the belt. Now is the time to get some olive oil.

Fire up the grill. Shove a little of that meat into a pvc pipe. Dab your belt with the olive oil. Put some garlic into a balloon. Get ready for the best bbq you've ever had, friend!

This next part is crucial, though. Just when the flame touches the grill, quickly push remainder of meat into the pipe and pull tight on the belt. When your meat has hit its max. z-axis coordinate, rapidly inflate the garlic baloon and release.

Season to taste.

Now those are some bad boys that are really worth it. Happy grillin'!

Mar 4, 05 1:20 am  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

i'm partial to charcoal now...
but i dont like to use lighter fluid.

so i use this:

it gets the coals red firey hot so i can do my best bbq.

Mar 4, 05 1:35 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

where on earth did you learn to cook with a belt, a baloon and a pvc pipe?
this thread gets more and more interesting

Mar 4, 05 1:37 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

yeah linton i don't follow your "recipe" either... maybe some pictures or diagrams would help. it sounds like a very strange way to cook, in all honesty.

Mar 4, 05 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
fairchildmj

Bar-be-que season in the summer? Used to be the time to 'barbeque' was when it was cold enough that you could leave your hog a'hangin for a spell before it started to turn--now we're stuffing beer cans up a chickens ass to celebrate the spring thaw. Go figure.

But seriously; this thread begs the age old question(s):

1)Is barbeque a noun, verb, both?

2)Is it exclusively shredded pork as some may claim (the orthodoxy of a certain population of culinary fundamentalists) or do the limbs of the bbq family tree extend to beef and chicken (ass-can optional).

3)What is the definitive spelling of the word 'barbeque'

I've heard these issues argued from all sides and the differences appear to be regional. Let the debate rage on!

Mar 4, 05 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

it isn't almost that time though. is 35 out and there's a foot of snow on the ground

Mar 4, 05 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
e

depends on where you are bossman. i think it was 60 in seattle yesterday. flowers blooming. days getting longer. i smell pork in the air.

Mar 4, 05 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
fairchildmj

or spring. its in the 60's here.

Mar 4, 05 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
linton

These are just some old passed down techniques, ckl. My people have cooked this way for many generations. Of course, the pvc pipe was not available in those olden days. They used bamboo tubes. Those bamboo, however, imparted a "wild" taste to the meat that some found off-putting. Thus the transition to that durable old PVC.

Well, okay 3ifs! Might sound strange but why not give it a try! Tell you what, these bad boys will not let you down in the flavor department. And so then here's another advanced recipe for ya':

*TENNIS BALL SHRIMP*

This is just a real crowd pleaser and so easy to prepare. Read on:

1. Chalk the bbq knobs. This will help later on when things get crazy.

2. Get NEW tennis balls (Wilson or Penn work just fine) Don't use some ratty old faded out ball that the dog hath chewed. You need the new ones and save the cans (you'll need them later).

3. Get the big shrimp, such as prawns and just insert those prawns (3 per ball) through an inch long incision that you previously cut.

Okay, don't go and put other spices into that ball...that's what the balloons are for. Yes, you'll need some balloons.

4. Pin a balloon to each ball. Slip a coin into the balloon to weigh it down a little. And some sauce that you really like. Then put a little olive oil in with that stuff. These puppies are almost ready to go, baby!

Now's not the time to get nervous and fiddle with the knobs. They're chalked, remember? So just lay off those things for the moment.

Here's where the cans come in. Use a couple cans to prop open the lid. Now, hit the knobs, hard. Real high flame! Wipe off that chalk, friend! (it'll catch!) Slowly...slowly... NOW! INFLATE THOSE BALLOONS!

Tasty, huh? Well, that's called *tennis ball shrimp* and it's just real good and flavorful. They'll thank you, 3ifs, they really will.

Mar 4, 05 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
proto

bbq season is ALMOST here?!?

wake up! bbq is a year round sport
i don't care where you live
snow, rain, whatever...fire it up!

Mar 5, 05 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

so, linton, the baloon is used to release the garlic/flavors?
why?
anyway, I enjoy the narative of your way of cooking

Mar 6, 05 1:18 am  · 
 · 
Suture

you forgot step 3.a: hop on one foot, rub your tummy ccw and turn your body cw on a straw mat.

my recipe is better: salt and pepper a piece of dead animal and place on fire. uug! grunt! me have fire!

Mar 6, 05 10:42 am  · 
 · 
linton

Right, ckl! The balloons work GREAT for spices, I find. Something about the material, I'm guessin'. And, glad you like the method! Why not try *tennis ball shrimp* or maybe give this real good one a try. It's called:

*ENGINE CHICKEN*

Here's the thing, see, your car engine gets real hot. Like an oven, friend. So how 'bout cooking some chicken in there? For instance, under the hood all tucked in next to those hot engine parts? Well okay! This is just a great recipe, goes like this:

1. Get a whole chicken.

2. Wrap that baby in foil. Leave two little exhaust valves in the foil such as you see on clamshells and abalone shells and so on. Just these little spouts, like.

3. Then, pop the hood of your car and stuff that whole foil wrapped chicken in just any cavity big enough to fit it in there snug.

4. I like to do this, then: make a little tube of foil. Make it real long and attach one end to a valve. Weave the rest through the hood and somehow hook it onto the antenna.

5. The idea here is: let's use some of that wind power to spice the meat! You know, you'll need a balloon for this. Put a clove of garlic into that balloon and attach balloon to the other end of the foil tube, baby.

6. Close hood and get ready for a great ride.

That's all the prep it takes and now you're on your way to a classic meal. Now, let's get cooking.

You'll need a straight stretch of road, such as you'll find in the desert or just some real desolate and god-forsaken place. Here's the trick: where as an oven chicken might require, say, 1hr. at 350 degrees F to cook, ENGINE CHICKEN requires 1hr at 125 mph to cook it real nice and tender. No stopping, either.

*CAUTION: This recipe is really worth it except, for me, just this one time. That time was this first date kind of thing. I still don't really know why it even went wrong. But it did, for some damn reason:

I thought it would be real romantic to make ENGINE CHICKEN instead of just going out to some old restaurant or something like everybody else does. It was going to be this big surprise. Damn it if my date didn't keep asking me about the spice tube! "Why's that foil coming out of your hood?" and "what's that balloon up there for?" I just kept real quiet and kept driving.

Eventually we get out to the straight stretch way out in the desert. Then my date asks me, "where're we going, anyway, way out here in the middle of nowhere?" I didn't even answer because it was going to be this big surprise. I just hit the gas and sped out toward a classic meal. "Slow down, slow down!" the date tells me. But I HAD to keep driving, in order to cook the chicken properly.

After an hour at a steady 125 mph my date was just kind of quiet. But then the chicken was ready so I pulled over. I had packed plastic plates and utensils and stuff so I got those out and popped the hood open. Then I used some oven mitts and dislodged that tasty bugger from the engine. It was steaming and everything and just looked delicious! I held it up high like a trophy so my date could see it from the passenger seat. "SURPRISE", I yelled, "ENGINE CHICKEN!" For some reason, my date just sat there real quiet and wouldn't even join me for the feast. Vegetarian, maybe? Dunno. I just sat there on that hot car hood, under the desert stars, and ate that whole tasty chicken myself. Boy, was that stuff good.

Mar 7, 05 1:26 am  · 
 · 
LaTorpilleRose

Linton, your posts are priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

"I just hit the gas and sped out toward a classic meal."
"After an hour at a steady 125 mph my date was just kind of quiet."

That is the funniest shit I've ever read on this site. All of it. Thank God for you.

Mar 7, 05 1:46 am  · 
 · 
linton

Thank you, LaTorpilleRose. I'm glad you enjoy these recipes. You know, I'm always trying to post some good new recipes and also just some great old classics. New recipes to enjoy are on the way!

Mar 8, 05 12:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: