Archinect
anchor

Custom development, how to find/choose

VonHaus

How would one go about finding a company that would develop land? (I don't mean in the middle of nowhere but in an area that is generally developed but not your patch of land)

• My plan is to find and buy a land.
  • Develop-connect closest city utilities like sewage, water electricity.
  • Buy a nice design blueprints and get that home built.

Seems simple, but problem I have now is all the houses I see (in Ontario around Toronto) are all pre-built, half-finished (poor basements) lined up like sardines with barely any space in between with tiny backyards.

google search doesn't return much, just some developing companies that deal on corporate level, like if I wanted to build a town..

Where would I start researching? 

Thanks in advance.

Feb 22, 16 5:29 pm
JonathanLivingston

I don't think this is as easy as you think. And it is very often prohibitively expensive to run utilities like this for a single residence. Which is why developers "pack them in like sardines". You would probably be best served by hiring an architect to conduct a feasibiliyt study for the land you have purchased or are looking at. That along with get a construction general contractor on board early will help you put some hard numbers to your ideas and figure out if they are worth pursuing. 

Here's the catch: You have to spend money and Spend money now. No one will give you these types of answers without in depth thought and no one has time to give away that type of work these days. Prepare to pay. also prepare for snarky comments from this forum thinking you are trying to get something for free. Pay more now, pay less later. I'm also willing to bet just purchasing some blueprints is not want you want either. The majority of your expense is in land and utilities by the time you stomach those expenses you might as well get exactly what you want. 

Call up your local architect. Hire them to help you. 

Feb 22, 16 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Call up a good residential architect and pay them for a few hours of their time to have a sit-down meeting. It'll be worth the $300 to $500 investment.

Once you've found someone who you think is an appropriate designer, get a realtor involved and purchase a piece of land suitable for residential development. Have you chosen architect review if the site is appropriate for your needs (for a fee) and if so, drop the cash and buy it.

Sign a contract with the architect who will then design and oversee the construction of the house. Be prepared to shell out real dollars.

You clearly have not done enough research and/or are not serious about this project.

Feb 22, 16 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: