Archinect
anchor

Belize?

Uncle Special

I'm planning a vacation to Belize - specifically Placencia peninsula and San Ignacio jungle.

Has anyone here been and have any advice to offer?

Feb 17, 05 6:36 pm
beatmeofficer

yes.
in san ignacio, you MUST do the caving tour of actun tunich mikal (cave of the holy sepulchre). this cave was explored by national geo a while back. it cost us 70.00 US for the day...a big splurge as we were on a budget but it was one of the highlights of a three month mexico/central america trip. our guide was one of the first to explore the cave and a mayan scholar; i believe his name was raol. ask around for him.
we enjoyed:
- a two hour 4x4 approach after heavy rains in a 1970 range rover with a cresent wrench for a gas pedal and a 14 year old driver. we were the only truck to get stuck and had to be pulled out by a newer 4-runner.
- a great jungle trek approach with several river-crossings, clutching vines and watching a few of the less co-ordinated members of our group get thoroughly terrified.
- the unique experience of plunging into a freezing pool of water and SWIMMING into the cave mouth for a feww hundred feet, in darkness.
- a kilometer or so of underground river tunnel with all the usual amazing cave features.
- a huge amphitheatre with thousands of ancient mayan pottery vessels calcified in dripping limestone.
- a small tomb with something i will not describe because it simply must be experienced first-hand.

Feb 18, 05 1:23 am  · 
 · 
Uncle Special

thanks for the great advice!

Feb 18, 05 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: