Archinect
anchor

Interior Desecration/ I mean Design

wannab

I have an undergrad in Interior Design. And eventually would like a masters in Arch.

Anyway, does anyone out there think Interior Design should be a major. Personally, I think it should be banned.

Feb 16, 05 1:04 pm
trace™

Huh? You posted this a little while ago, why again?

Anyway, no, interior design is a great degree, if you go to the right school. There is some great designers out there and I think if you look at the mags, you'll find more great interiors than you will great architecture.
Personally, I love interior design and almost went down that path, but stuck to architecture instead. Still love it, though, and read up on it regularly.

I guess you are hating your situation? A tad bitter, eh? Well, hate to say it, but architecture sure ain't gonna cure that!

Feb 16, 05 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

THE ANSWER IS STILL NO!

choose a color called NO

hang some drapes from the NO NO line

lay carpet from NO

place coffee table doodads courtesy of NO

light it with uplight from NO

place a fruitbowl filled with NO

light some cnadles from NO

Feb 16, 05 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
e

suture, are you david spade?

Feb 16, 05 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

i dont NO!

Feb 16, 05 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
wannab

no, i never posted this before, first time....i think architects
are losing their real job, you know the interior of the bldg.
ask Frank Lloyd Wright what he thinks, wait he did the interiors
of his bldgs.

Feb 16, 05 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

I WOULD RATHER DO A SHELL AND HAVE THE qeftsgS DECORATE THE INSIDES FOR ME.

Feb 16, 05 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

actually interior designers - i know 2 of them who did their masters from RISD get paid better than most architects

both my friends started with 52,000 starting salary

QED

Feb 16, 05 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

This morning on TV I heard something about boys seeing motion better than girls, who better differentiate texture and color. I wonder if gay guys have the texture and color gene as well ? That would explain a lot.

Feb 16, 05 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Interior design is a more profitable profession, so they will always get paid more (one more reason to like it). No headaches to deal with, the proejcts move fast (meaning less risk), less consultants, AND you get to mark up the furniture 20-70%.

Some architect's design interiors, and vice versa, but it's silly to think that architects are losing their 'real job'.
Architects design architecture, interior designers design interiors.

Feb 17, 05 9:41 am  · 
 · 
greengoblin

Is there actual proof that interior designers get paid more? I worked in couple big offices where there are interior departments... and it seems like the interior designers aren't getting paid that much better. I've been running some searches on the internet about interior designer salary vs architects salary but haven't been able to find anything yet, any help?

Feb 21, 05 6:42 am  · 
 · 
e

the id'ers i've met have been paid more than me. i can't offer any hard facts of the entire profession though.

i agree with trace. i don't think architects are losing any "real" jobs to id'ers.

Feb 21, 05 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

I don't think we are losing any jobs - but the "id'ers" have an increasing dislike to the homemade decorators brought on by shows on HGTV and TLC.

The real question debate in the professional world - is should ID'ers have the equivalent of a professional license.

The architects say no - the id'ers want it to elevate their status to that of a professional one.

Feb 21, 05 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
e

a professional license? i don't think so. why do you need a license for taste? i know i am over simplifing it but really. if id'ers get a professional license, there are a lot of other ppl out there that will request the same and then what is the value of having a license?

i'd like to hear an argument for a license for id'ers.

Feb 21, 05 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
wannab

an id'er as was spoken and taught to me by a FIDER accredited university for Interior Design is that once I take and pass the NCIDQ test. I can supposedly stamp/seal drawings that have no load bearing in them...since buildings have load bearing walls, it is limited to the design/floor plan layout and finishes of something like a strip mall or high-rise office building-----AS LONG AS THERE ARE NO FIREWALLS OR BEARING WALLS....thus begins architecture....
i don't believe they are making more unless they are on trading spaces or extreme home makeover....i know quite a few and they mostly start in the high twenties if they've had experience in the real world...I made more as a CAD drafter/designer....$46,000.....but that was then this is now...

Feb 21, 05 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
design geek-girl

IDers want to be licensed, because in the state of NY at least, they are proposing legislation that would give us stamp and seal privileges for our projects. The only designers who would be eligible are the ones with licenses. Do you need a license for taste? No. Which is why there is no decorating professional license. Why do you think IDers have to take structures classes at FIDER accredited institutions in order to be licensed? Just to pick out throw pillows?

Side note to Wannab - The whole "desecrator" thing is lame and outdated. Interiors is all in your approach. This generalization is only putting yourself down. Really, it just seems that you're a little insecure about the choice you made, maybe you're afraid that people will think you weren't smart enough to be an architect. I'm sure you're very bright, you just need to be a little more confident. I'm just saying, if it's not for you, you don't have to put it down. I intend to get my MArch. But not because ID is crime against nature, just because I believe I'm better suited to architecture.

Also, I'm not sure what state you're in, but, any job that is filed with the building dept in any given municipality (as pretty much all jobs have to be) must be stamped by an architect or engineer who supervised the preparation of the CD's being filed. Which is why, one of my professors, who is a registered architect, is fighting for designers in the state of NY to have stamp and seal privileges within reason. Should I be able to move structural elements or walls? No. Should I be able to move fire rated non-load bearing partitions? Umm, yeah. If I've detailed and spec'ed them a thousand times over and if I can take a test that proves I know what I'm doing, then why should I have to pay an architect a hefty percentage of my fee for his stamp? Another reason why I want my MArch.

Sorry this got a little long winded. I usually only get on my soapbox for a boost in height.

Feb 21, 05 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
A

I continually see posts about how Interior Designers earn more than architects. What? Where? Sure, there may be some instances here and there but on average they earn less. Go to salary.com or any other web resource - it's always less in any market.

The degree isn't a bad one but it's not superior to an architecture degree. With a BArch or MArch you can easily obtain a CID. With an ID degree you cannot become an architect.

I don't feel they are hurting architect's work per se. I've always worked in offices with an ID department and they are always a helpful asset.

Feb 22, 05 8:43 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Our interior designer just left to be a stay at home mom and I know that the firm kept upping her salary to intice her to stay. I have no idea how high it got, but I imagine in the 40's for a few years experience. She still works for us as a consultant. We had a prospective replacement that was hesitant to move here to work. They upped and upped her salary to get this chick to come. She still didn't come. Finally we hired a recent graduate. She participates in management and gets more leeway and independence than our interns with 3+ years experience. She gets a good chunk of the office floor space for herself with the resource library that has huge tables, an office with a drafting table and layout table and then her cubicle too like the rest of us. She gets treated like a designer - whereas our architects are more like business people. She is a good designer so far and I am glad we have her - more of an interior architect than a decorator. I would assume she makes at least what I do while I have more experience. I do not think that interior design is a step down from architects at all. I have thought many times that I should be an interior designer and may still head that direction.

Feb 22, 05 9:10 am  · 
 · 
wannab

design geek-girl, thank you for your, um, psychoanalysis, you know i think you may just by correct...i also appreciate A's and Strawbeary's input...
I have always heard from older architects who seem to dislike interior designers with a vengeance. I do appreciate all inputs.
This helps with my future decision.
Thanks

Feb 23, 05 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: