Archinect
anchor

creative city

I am student of urban design (M.Arch) studying in The School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi, India. My graduating thesis project enquires into the creative city model. for this purpose in am enquiring into the coonctions between spatial design and placemaking. how certain spaces attract people and what makes spaces responsive? can spatial design trigger the creative process in a human being? can spaces invite participation? if anyone has been thinking on the same terms or knows of sources related to these fields of enquiry, then please let me know of those sources.
thanking you
arunava sarkar
dept. of urban design
School of Planning and Architecture,
New Delhi, India
email: [email protected]

Feb 6, 05 5:45 am
MMatt

I'm sure you're already familiar with it, but there is a text and short documentary by William Whyte dating to the mid-70s (I think). The text and film both deal with the idea of how the shape of public spaces impacts the movement patterns and behaviors of the users. This deals very specifically with the questions of whether spaces can invite participation, how spaces attract people, and so on.

They're called "City: Rediscovering the Center" and the text was originally published by Doubleday. Author is William Whyte. Hope that helps you. Best of luck.

.mm

Feb 6, 05 10:09 am  · 
 · 
e

today's your lucky day >> michael heizer's "City."

Feb 6, 05 11:45 am  · 
 · 
rayray

see mark wigely on Constant's "New Babylon" - amazing models and drawings
done over numerous years - great show at drawing center not too long ago.

best

ps. lucky day for sure - heizer article is incredible!

Feb 6, 05 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

Good Book:

Michel de Certeau, The Proctice of Everyday Life (Part III Spatial Practices)

OK book for context:

Simon Sadler, The Situationsit City

Feb 6, 05 10:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: