Archinect
anchor

Architecture Vocabulary Pop Quiz!

Which is correct:

A. linear

or

B. lineal.

FFS. This should be easy, and if you disagree it might lead to fisticuffs.

Sep 2, 15 12:50 pm
curtkram

linear

Sep 2, 15 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Linear... but now I'm tempted to switch.

Sep 2, 15 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

OK I'm calling at at three votes for "linear" because OF COURSE it should be linear. Lineal is a bastardization of the word linear and only used by contractors.

It's like "masonary". Don't say it, ever.

Sep 2, 15 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

You don't have any linear ancestors.

Sep 2, 15 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

Exactly, Miles!!!

Sep 2, 15 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

how to you feel about oxford commas?  constantly getting the same redmark on my specs

Sep 2, 15 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ I actually prefer to use serial commas...

Sep 2, 15 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

Oxford comma forever!

Sep 2, 15 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

agreed, and love the image. 

Apparently someone here has spent too much time in england

Sep 2, 15 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

my wife and I argue about commas and the oxford comma all the time;  she is a Court Reporter and punctuation in a transcript is key.  I support the oxford comma, she does not.

Maybe the sketch will change her mind.

Sep 2, 15 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

That's funny, I was writing up a change order this morning when I came across this word from the contractor (lineal) and I was a little befuddled but not enough to double-check with a dictionary.  And I'm usually an incredible stickler for grammar and spelling.

Sep 2, 15 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

I had a construction technology professor in undergrad who used lineal, masonary, and footers. All three annoy me now.

Sep 2, 15 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

Straight from CSI's Construction Specifications Practice Guide

2.10 Punctuation
Because specifications are legal documents, the formal rules of punctuation must be observed. Sentences should be constructed so that the misplacement or elimination of a punctuation mark will not change the meaning. Commas should be used after each item in a series, including the item preceding a conjunction, and in other locations where the clarity of the statement will be improved
(emphasis mine)

Oxford comma FTW!

On a related inquiry ... is "asphalt" pronounced:

A) ass-fault

B) ash-fault

Sep 2, 15 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

footers?

Sep 2, 15 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Would you say footings?

Sep 2, 15 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
file

shuellmi: see below

Sep 2, 15 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

ironmongery - take a guess what is that in English?

Sep 2, 15 5:45 pm  · 
 · 

Gotta love that detail*.

Intern: ASS-fault.

* It's designed to fail miserably.

Sep 2, 15 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Soil on plywood?

NAILED IT.

Sep 2, 15 6:13 pm  · 
 · 

Lineal is in the IBC.

Sep 2, 15 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

^ in only one section (903) when referencing the "lineal distance between openings." Compared to 14 sections when you search for "linear" which is used to refer to things like "linear foot" and "linear feet." 

Sep 2, 15 7:02 pm  · 
 · 

Footers sounds like booties little children wear. Footings, or singular footing. 

Lineal in the IBC is a mistake because someone was accustomed to hearing contractors say it. 

And seriously WTF is that detail?!?! Plywood below grade?!?

Sep 2, 15 8:33 pm  · 
 · 

EI, 403 and 903 and a few others I can not remember.

Donna, I have had more arguments over openable vs operable than lineal vs linear.

I just always wrote it off as code speak.

Sep 2, 15 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Donna, a HS teacher down here is in hot water for using that exact image in class.

And I have heard footer for so long that I forgot it was footing. I have NEVER heard lineal. Weird.
Sep 2, 15 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
bmedi

Do you orient or orientate your building?

Sep 2, 15 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I've heard masons say "masonary"

And a company that sold metal building parts call them "purlings"

Wtf.
Sep 2, 15 10:34 pm  · 
 · 

It's a good idea to use spread footies in soft soil.

Sep 2, 15 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

30# ROOF FELT or

30# ROOF FELTS?

This has been an argument in my office.

Sep 3, 15 8:45 am  · 
 · 

Orient and felt. Orientate has always bugged me too. Felts sounds like an action, not a noun.

Sep 3, 15 9:14 am  · 
 · 

Openable vs. operable is a tough one - those words really are applied in totally different situations, no? Something can be operable without opening being the operation that occurs.

Sep 3, 15 9:15 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Worked with a contractor recently who pronounced 'column' as 'call-yoom.'  I still felt like laughing even after hearing it 500 times.

Sep 3, 15 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Zbig

Is submittal a real word (noun)? What about guestroom? Isn't square footage simply area?

Sep 3, 15 10:54 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I had a client that wanted "rod" iron...

Sep 3, 15 11:03 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

i like the contractors that call columns beams. foreign obviously, so makes me wonder if in their language beam and column are same thing

Sep 3, 15 11:10 am  · 
 · 

I have heard rod iron many times, from clients, also. Seen it written that way, too.

Sep 3, 15 11:25 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i'm sure rod iron can be wrought

wtf is with spelling window "lite" instead of "light?"

Sep 3, 15 11:44 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I run into people with mullion/muntin confusion quite a bit.

Installation instead of insulation. 

Chipboard and OSB are not the same thing.

and an old favorite:  CMU vs Cinderblock.

Sep 3, 15 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Missed the most misused term “cement” when referring to concrete, as in “cement pond”.

Sep 3, 15 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

When it comes to commas, it is correct to put comma before and when you have a list of items that are three or more items such as this example:

I need a hammer, nails, and a plank board to be nailed to the idiot contractor's forehead.

You don't use the comma if it is just two items like the example:

I like to use paper and pen when preparing construction documents.

Sep 3, 15 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

bmedi, I orienteer my buildings. Give that bastard a compass and a map and wait until it finds its location.

senjohnblutarsky, simple answer to that is to stop specifying 30# Felt. The word "membrane" could be used...

Sep 3, 15 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

LOL... Concrete continuous spread footing or simple continuous footing or grade beam. I would lean towards the continuous spread or simple continuous footing given the width is more the the depth. I don't usually call it a grade beam until the depth is more than the width and denotes a 'beam' profile. 

Then we are splitting hairs on that with exact discretion.

Sep 3, 15 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

Lineal is a proper english word. 

Here is an example of conjecture on this topic:

http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/81174-Lineal-vs-Linear

A quote from here:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080211075343AAGg8Ln

"In construction, lineal describes a quantity of material that has an implied width dimension, and linear describes a distance regardless of width. Consider the following example: "We need to replace a single metal panel, and the building's sidewall is 12 linear feet to the eave, so we will need to order 12 lineal feet of metal."

In construction, the term is valid and both words have subtle but distinct meanings. So careless interchanging is misuse of the word.

Lineal has two definitions. One definition refers to lineage and the other is used in application of line-based mathematics. Engineering has another application of the term lineal. 

We are talking nomenclature. This is dependent on the context. The code could be correctly applying it but I didn't check the code section to verify if it is being correctly applied in the context. 

Lineal is an alternative word long established in the English language. 

One is more like old/middle English and the other is contemporary modern English.

This depends on perspective. If you are measuring something with a known consistent width, in construction nomenclature you would use lineal feet like how many lineal feet of 3" steel pipe? Or lineal feet of a specific crown molding of known dimensions with width and depth but not length. If you are measuring a line of travel then linear feet. 

More often than not, it is more like a interchangeable word with evolving application. Lineal is more an archaic form of linear. In 1832, lineal was used to measurement of length. Over time, lineal vs linear debate is more about evolution of the English language usage. When you measure length, the term was called Lineal Measurement. This is supported chronologically in the Webster dictionary from 1832. I have a scanned PDF of that dictionary. Linear was used as a descriptive adjective of an objects shape like a 2x4 lumber is linear in shape. When we talked about measurement of its length, we talked lineal footage. However, in time, this application of terms evolved. 

In construction trade, this is matter of opinion than necessarily hard line facts because it isn't universal but lineal as in 'lineal foot' would be used when you are referring to an object with known widths and the measured length. While you wouldn't call something a linear foot,  linear foot maybe used to refer to measurement of distance between buildings for example. 

In contemporary parlance, a person may choose to ignore old traditions and call any measured length of lineal foot as linear foot and relegate lineal to reference of lineage.

It isn't so clear a right or wrong but choice, locality, etc.

To a degree, they are sort of interchangeable words. Lineal is more archaic, now.

Sep 3, 15 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe
@richard
a continuous footing bears 'continuously' across the soil. a grade beam is capable of spanning.
got nothing to do with sectional profiles as far as the definition is concerned.
Sep 3, 15 3:42 pm  · 
 · 

True... but grade beams are usually deeper than they are in width in cross section. It needs that along with the rebar configuration to support 'spanning'. 

It differs from "continuous spread footing" or "simple continuous footing" even though all three are types of continuous foundation or continuous footing foundation systems vs. isolated. Simple continuous footing simply is the common type found under say.... a C.M.U. wall foundation with like 3 or 4 horizontal rebar about 2" from the bottom of the footing. A continuous spread footing is usually a little wider and designed to spread load and has a different rebar configuration with rebar and 'temperature bars' (rebar in tranverse the normal rebar span along the wall length).

The grade beams require a very different and often more extensive rebar configuration. They all often is supported continously on soil or bedrock unless 'deep foundation' systems are employed. I agree with the term but there is also common visual characteristics of one from the other in case you don't have the plans or able to see the rebar configuration which also isn't always the same. Some architects in the past have been crazy with their extensiveness of rebar.

Sep 3, 15 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

pedant vs. hair-splitter

Sep 3, 15 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
In my experience it's the structural engineers who are crazy with the rebar, but it's only because the codes are forcing them to over design.
Sep 3, 15 7:10 pm  · 
 · 

Oh trust me, in some of these cases, it definitely was Architect because in those days, Engineers weren't ordinarily involved with buildings at all. In those days, the architect was the engineer because the role was just one of the responsibilities of the Architect.

Sep 3, 15 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Recently visited Fallingwater and the docent told a story about these porte-cochere elements at the entry. One had deteriorated and needed replacement so they checked the original plans and found that Wright specified 1 rebar. They proceed to take it apart and found 6. Then they replaced it with 12.

Sep 3, 15 8:51 pm  · 
 · 

One rebar? Well good thing it wasn't something that could compromise the health, safety or welfare of the public (said with a smirk, naturally).

Sep 3, 15 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Becky - His son-in-law, the late William Wesley “Wes” Peters (1912-1991) was an engineer and assisted in the structural engineering of Fallingwater, but whoever listens to their son-in-law:)

Sep 3, 15 9:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: