Archinect
anchor

Everything you wanted to know about masonry anchors

shellarchitect

http://www.masonrymagazine.com/masonry-anchors-and-ties-by-the-code/

For those who are afraid to ask....

Jun 23, 15 1:39 pm
kickrocks

People afraid to ask would Google it first. If not, I'd probably Google what to think about them.

Jun 23, 15 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Are sky hooks no longer available?

Jun 23, 15 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

@shuellmi

What about stone wall anchors?

I have some old wall on land and want to use its stones into a wall. Do you have any suggestions?

Jun 23, 15 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i don't think skyhooks work for masonry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyhook_%28structure%29

Jun 23, 15 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I guess its really for everyone's consumption, I learned a bit reading through this and thought others might enjoy after the snob thread

Jun 23, 15 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

LOL shuellmi at the background discussion behind you posting this, but on a serious note:

Those trade publications like Masonry Magazine and Fine Homebuilding and Journal of Light Construction and whatnot are SO valuable when it comes to learning how buildings go together!  I encourage young architecture grads to look at the pictures in the glossy mags abut then *read* the articles in these magazines. Super helpful.

Also the material-specific forums like the famous John Bridge forum are pretty incredible but! require a bit more skepticism and knowledge to wade through. Everyone on John Bridge has *passionate* opinions about things like which backer board is best and when to use sanded vs. unsanded grout. Without some basic understanding of your goals they go into far more detail than most architects are ready to engage. I mean, if I were to innocently ask "What style of tile is this?" on John Bridge, as we often get people asking here, I woudl likely be flamed so hard I wouldn't survive. Contractors can throw a slam far more painful than we designers are able! (Well, most of us, anyway.)

Jun 23, 15 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I have an old stone institute book which I refer to for all "stone stuff," you may be able to sweet talk a rep into giving you one

Dad got me a fine homebuilding subscription one year - great mag, even if it is all residential.  I'll have to check out light construction

Jun 23, 15 2:34 pm  · 
 · 

tHE smacna CATALOGUE RULES WHEN IT COMES TO FLASHING OR METAL ROOFS.

Oops, CADding, sorry.

Jun 23, 15 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

ALSO FUN TO SAY SMACNA

Jun 23, 15 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
I love saying SMACNA. Also scupper and BamPlank.
Jun 23, 15 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
cajunarch

SMACNA and BIA are the best for finding those essential details for metal and masonry

Jun 23, 15 11:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: