Archinect
anchor

OFFTOPIC: ( Newest contender for DUMBASS Award )

Bad link. 

You couldn't find any worthy candidates here? Disappointed.

Jun 2, 15 8:17 am  · 
 · 

No one can compare to the dumbassery of Paul Rand. The Astoria guy is likely a genius next to him.

Jun 2, 15 8:20 am  · 
 · 

Miles, I'll provide an updated link in case the link changed because of the site processing.

Jun 2, 15 10:56 am  · 
 · 

http://www.dailyastorian.com/Local_News/20150601/man-arrested-after-disrupting-astoria-city-council-meeting

It'll be a top news today at Daily Astorian so you can go to the Daily Astorian homepage and go from there.

Jun 2, 15 10:58 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

ha...dirty hippy.

Jun 2, 15 11:14 am  · 
 · 

LOL... not even a real Hippy. Not even old enough to be a true hippy. You have to be in your 60s now because that generation would have to be old enough to be part of the free love, peace movement of the 1960s 70s and in general they are in their mid 60s to 70s. This person is younger than me. 

Hippy wannabe. More "Bohemian beatnick hobo" type to be honest in my personal opinion.

Jun 2, 15 11:34 am  · 
 · 

The local town board - a candy store for developers - now has armed police at every meeting.

Jun 2, 15 11:59 am  · 
 · 
anonitect

Yeah, that story doesn't convince me that he's a "dumbass." What agenda item was he trying to speak to? I get the impression that he might have mental health problems, but the article doesn't give us enough information to know whether or not his grievance was legitimate.

Jun 2, 15 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

Hehe.

Well..... here.... nope. We don't necessarily have armed security like that and probably don't and in this case, the person is more of a fluke vocal disruption but only policy change maybe that during meetings, police could have a routine patrol routing close by to the city hall and called upon if needed. 

The Police chief happens to be there because he serves actively in our community in more than just being a police officer/chief of police but also as an Assistant City Manager to the city manager.

In our community, it is something a person will often do.

Jun 2, 15 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

Mental Health issues... yeah.

Dumbass... yeah. You don't use citizen arrest unless you witness a crime (felony or certain misdemeanors like a public brawl) and there is no police officer in uniform or otherwise identified in the area not a civil dispute which would fall under civil law. Add to resisting arrest and technically could also face legal charge of battery (by grabbing the wrist of a police officer - police chief) so in turn, he made a series of mistakes that although mental issues maybe a factor playing into it is not an excuse for paying the consequences of actions.

I doubt the person will remain in jail for any real length of time. The person will be back on the streets again. He'll get community service and probation for certain charges and probably mandated to seek mental health therapy. 

I think people living this way has some mental issues of some sort. I'm not a psychologist so I can't say the severity of the person's issues but such beligerant behavior is signs that the person isn't working with a full deck... so to speak... mentally. 

I'll get back with you on how this transpired exactly but it seems like he was talking about an agenda item from an earlier meeting during a comment period of an agenda item in which comments are to be on the agenda item and the person failed to grasp that and escalated out of behavioral control and he went off on these bogus civilian arrest charges when there is no validity of those charges on civil disputes. 

Not all law violations are criminal. If there was any unlawfulness in meeting procedure... it would be a civil law matter. Civilian arrest when it is not authorized by law IS an unlawful arrest just as it would be for a police officer arresting when there is no legal basis and legal charge authorizing an arrest as valid.

The person needs to better understand the law like take some courses in law to get a better understanding of the law and use of these arrest powers (be it for a police officer or a civilian). Also,  a general rule is only a law enforcement officer is permitted to read the Miranda rights. A  civilian should not as that can be grounds for potentially representing oneself as a police officer or law enforcement officer when they are not duly authorized by law. 

How I see it, the person is definitely not conducting himself as he should be.

Jun 2, 15 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

Public meetings are not intended for public participation, they are simply to meet the bare minimum legal requirements for conducting "public" business. Everything is usually deciuded well before the meetings and time limits on public speakers - usually 2 minutes - all but precludes any meaningful commentary or discussion. Thus the need for police to keep order when citizens are all but shut out of the process.

Jun 2, 15 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

quite a few interesting characters in that little town for a population of 10k

Jun 2, 15 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

John Jacob Astor made numerous, lucrative land investments and became the richest man in the world and the first multi-millionaire in the United States.

So this is where it all began....

Jun 2, 15 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

Oh, I thought those guys were at all the city council meetings. I mean, they always are when I'm there. And at the zoning and planning meetings too. Last variance I got for a client, that guy got up and complained for a half hour about a resident's proposed garage rebuild. Rebuild the garage in exactly the same footprint as before. This guy pulled out all the stops about incremental zoning creep, but ended up being the creep himself. I spent the time googling the wack-a-doodle and found out he was a disbarred lawyer (yeah!) who'd done prison time for similar wingnut behavior. Cool. 

But no surprise, they are everywhere. 

Jun 2, 15 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

JLC-1

We get these transients because they get evicted out of Portland. Can't Portland keep its garbage in its town. It has big enough sq.ft. 

LOL!

However, we do have a few colorful characters as well that grew up and lived here as well as those that moved in from California which has a huge population of eccentric characters which makes sense given its huge population.

Jun 2, 15 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

oh...the irony.

Jun 2, 15 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

Oh....?

Comedy though. I thought it was worth sharing as an off topic discussion tangent.

Jun 2, 15 10:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: