Archinect
anchor

British Holidays

sewage

What are some of the holidays that the British celebrate? I need information on the public holidays that you get off and ones that you dont - St. Patty's, Father's Day, Mother's Day, Queen's birthday, etc...

Any help would be appreciated!

Jan 14, 05 9:45 pm
justavisual

bank holidays

Jan 15, 05 1:07 am  · 
 · 
sewage

Do you guys celebrate Father's Day, Valentine's, etc?

Jan 15, 05 2:18 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

On May 1 every year anti-globalization protestors smash up a McDonalds. Probably not what you mean.

Jan 15, 05 10:57 am  · 
 · 
MMatt

Sweage, why don't you just google it? Research skills are an important thing to have.,,,,, Google is far more efficient than waiting for a response from archinect members... particularly for a topic as extremely simple as this.

.mm

Jan 15, 05 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
sewage

Ah but I did. But it's a bit tough if one doesn't already know what the holiday name is to begin with. I basically have - Mother's Day, Queen's Birthday (not sure how it's celebrated), Father's Day, St Patty's, Easter, Xmas, Boxing Day, New Year's, and Halloween?

Jan 15, 05 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

Halloween is an american import, no official holiday.
Mothers / Fathers day is also an import - no holiday.

Easter, Christmas, May Day a sprinkling of bank holidays (less than in Europe). That's it.

Of course we (Wales) are trying to get March 1st as a holiday as this is St David's Day. My understanding is that this is celebrated with more gusto by Welsh Americans on the nearest weekend to the 1st (no offical holiday though).

Jan 16, 05 9:00 am  · 
 · 
sewage

So British people don't buy cards and whatnot on Mother's/Father's Day?

Jan 16, 05 10:40 am  · 
 · 
MMatt

Took me all of 4 seconds to gooogle "British holiday calendar" and click on the first link.

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/holidays.html

http://www.geocities.com/traditions_uk/calendar.html

.mm

Jan 16, 05 10:46 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

We buy the cards and presents, there’s even a grandparents day which I do not subscribe to.

We also carve pumpkins etc for Halloween on the 31 Oct. It’s just that I though that they are American imports. I don’t mind though, I like a party.

Jan 16, 05 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Ludwig

and what about St. George's day for the english, which the major is reluctant to celebrate.

Jan 17, 05 9:50 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

What about George? He allegedly slayed a dragon and is therefore no friend of mine!

Georges Day has never historically been celebrated to the extent of St David’s Day (Wales) or St Patrick’s Day (Ireland). But id it’s good for one Principality it may as well be good for the Kingdom.

Days off all over I say

Jan 17, 05 10:23 am  · 
 · 
sewage

Thank you all for your responses.

Jan 17, 05 10:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: