Archinect
anchor

Need Advice: International architect in Canada

ketankaul
Hi Everyone,

I'm an international architect with 7years of experience from India recently moved to Canada, seeking advice on how to move forward for a successful career in architecture.
I'm currently looking for a job to start my internship as directed by CACB. I have applied to various firms (last 2months) for different jobs, but no response are coming through.

I'm trying to figure out what is going wrong! Do I need to acquire some certain skills, like 3D software skills or else. I'm totally confused!
Any kind of advice might be helpful. Thanks.

Apr 4, 15 8:18 pm
Benjamin0801

Your best bet is to network network network!

Apr 28, 15 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Network is not as big a thing in Canada.  There is loads of work available in many cities. The issue for foreign trained architects is their familiarity with the local codes and construction/professional practices. You can "network" all you want but at the end of the day, if you cant confidently put together a set of CDs, then what use are you?

Apr 28, 15 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Benjamin0801

I don't agree. That's a very negative response Non Sequitur. Sending out resumes blindly is useless. I tried this - it doesn't work. I'm not sure why Canada is so different.

I am a UK educated designer working in the USA. Not knowing local codes did not harm me. I now work for a very large International company. I got my current job through joining the AIA and networking to find the opportunities. Networking does work and I'm pretty sure it works in Canada too.

Guess what, I can also put together a set of CDs.

Apr 29, 15 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Sure, networking can work but given the smaller population and distances between larger urban centers, there is less mixing opp in Canada.

I still however stick to my point about knowing codes and local practices esp for foreign trained individual. There is plenty of competition from low-end tech schools pumping out grunts. It's hard for an office to justify further educating an applicant.
Apr 29, 15 6:38 pm  · 
 · 

Cold calls only work if your portfolio is amazing.

Networking only works if you're good at schmoozing and have the existing friends who tell you where/when the good arch. parties will be. While at said parties, I've found that most architects clique up with their coworkers and former classmates. 

Who goes to CACB/OAA events? Not me. I'd rather go get my drink on at the Drake with Blackwell Engineering.

Ketan: we can't tell you what you're doing wrong if you don't post your portfolio...

Apr 29, 15 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

There's no magic trick - you'll want to both cold-call AND go to events, make friends, etc.  You're competing with locally-trained architects with knowledge of local trades, firms, codes, standards, etc. Not an easy task.

If your 7 years of experience were good, you should be beyond software knowledge and should be concentrating on your management experience. It'll be assumed you know local codes, or at least are adaptable enough to learn them quickly.

Apr 29, 15 11:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: