Archinect
anchor

Investigation of Arch. thru Film

ARCHITKD

Anyone have experience about architecture and film. For exampl, I am interested in using old Japanese films as a way of investigating concepts in architecture.

I have been watching some of Toshiro Mofune's films. Please contact me with any usefull information.

Thank you!

Jan 4, 05 1:40 pm
spaghetti

go watch tokyo story-- all ozu films.. will elaborate later when i have more time

Jan 4, 05 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHITKD

Thank you!

Jan 4, 05 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

We used David Lynch's Fire: Walk With Me (Twin Peaks) and Blue Velvet. Really great stuff.

The process:

1. Take a 3 minute or so part
2. Analyze camera angles, movements, characters, etc.
3. Diagram it all (mine was about 6-8' of mylar with several sheets collaged, overlapped, etc.)
4. Make model of diagram, brining it all into 3D (we hung our models from the ceiling to 'free' it up, and damn if it didn't work!)
5. Investigate shifting scales to form spatial relatinoships in the model

6. We then video taped (via borrowed cameras) our site using the things we learned in the previous diagram. This included drive bys, walking, aerial veiws, etc.
7. Analyze our footage, again using the techniques learned before
8. Build a series of spatial experiments using this information and diagrams
9. Finally incorporate it all into a 'real' building.

That's the best process I've yet to come across. Thanks to Mario Gooden, Design 4 (end of second year, undergrad).

Jan 5, 05 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Some of these will seem obvious, others less so, but these are all films I've used or seen used in discussing architectural issues.

Wim Wenders: almost anything, but esp. Alice in the Cities, Wings of Desire, Faraway So Close, Until the End of the World, Kings of the Road, American Friend....

Cronenberg: Stereo (if you can find it - really interesting)
Greenaway: The Cook The Thief, Belly of an Architect, Prospero's Books
Lynch: Lost Highway
Hitchcock: Rear Window, Spellbound, North by Northwest
Eisenstein: Battleship Potemkin
Lang: Metropolis
Scott: Blade Runner
Tati: Playtime, Mon Oncle (love this one!)

then there are Gattaca, Brazil, Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Un Chien Andalou, Total Recall, and Fountainhead

You might alsos check this out:film/architecture

Jan 5, 05 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
isnen

I have always been intrigued with film and architecture relationship. . Both are kindred spirits who share their delight in the artistic process of peoples lives, and the fact that they tear a work of art apart frequently makes it better. They tear fragments from our lives and play them back around us in different times. If you want you can check out some abstract movies in my website
www.knk-studios.com and then media button,
movies are facades and windows
some books about this topic are:

Francois Penz, and Maureen Thomas. Cinema & Architecture. ( London, England: British Film Institute. 1997).

Graham, Dan. Video-Architecture-Television (New York, New York: New York University Press, 1979).

Richer, Hans. New Living. Architecture. Film. Space, (Switzerland: Las Muller Publishers, 2001).

Architecture & Film ( London, England: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.1994).

Jan 5, 05 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
lennon

Zoomscape by mitchell schwarzer

Dec 19, 05 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Dec 19, 05 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

For architecture in Japanese Cinema: Pistol Opera
For more fantasy based: The City of Lost Children

Dec 19, 05 1:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: