“Plus or minus, give or take”

“Ur an architect, so u do blue prints”

“Cool cities”

Aug 5, 06 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
ET

how about

"who's ur favourite architect ?"
somehow that has become an interview criteria !!!

and politically :
"We will bring freedom.. we will fight terror"
;)

Aug 6, 06 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
jabber

War on Lebanon by bastard Zionists !

WAR ON ISRAEL BY BASTARD ISLAMIC TERRORISTS

War on human values by bloodthirsty bastards!

Aug 6, 06 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

At interview.

'So, how would you describe your roll within Practice?'

I'm always torn towards the sarcastic.

A1. Architect
A2. Trouble-shooter (aka Shit-shoveller)

Aug 6, 06 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

OK. So the above is not a phrase, it's a question.

The related follow up phases make me cringe. The right thing to say but so contrite.

'I've given a lot of thought to our interview and...'
'Something you mentioned got me thinking...'
'What you said about _______ really struck home...'

Aug 6, 06 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
comb
an observation

: if this thread keeps going much longer, there will be no language whatsoever that remains acceptable to the language police here at Archinect ....

Aug 6, 06 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
the silent observer

"inside/outside"

Aug 6, 06 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

language police

Aug 7, 06 1:51 am  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

I come back to this website after a year and a half and my thread is still going! Bitchin'

I can only hope that one day my immortal thread can rival 'Hey you Fancy Graphic Lovers'

Aug 7, 06 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

when someone says "literally" when they mean figuratively, such as spending too much money on something, "It's like literally throwing money away." if it's like it, it isn't literally it.

Aug 7, 06 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
cf

ACTUALLY

Actually, this has been going on for years and in all actuality I would venture a guess of 30 years, actually. Actually, I don't know where this is going, actually. In actuality, the the word actually sounds so certain, actually. Actually, in all actuality, it is actually actual, actually.

Aug 7, 06 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
cf

this is used by people who think they have THE design authority or some special design knowledge that you will never achieve in this or the next 10 lifetimes:

"Oh yes, I see what you are TRYING to do." <posture, look down nose, keep a distance from design in question, give a long stare into eyes of designer, quickly turn away, slight full body shake, execute a quick military stage left>

Aug 8, 06 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
24out1in

"it really makes the *insert feature here* POP"

sounds like an interior decorator on HGTV talking about the polka-dotted pig cut-out that's hanging above the fireplace.

but seriously can't we come up with a more descriptive and meaningful manner in which to describe any architectural feature.

Dec 7, 06 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
emilyrides

This is an absolutely hysterical thread. Brilliant.

'The Hermeneutic Circle' when people discuss there 'theories' of design. What the hell does that even really mean?

'Inspired by Intimacy' - Only if we're talking about dildo and condom design.

'Perched' - Oh, you mean just thrown on as an afterthought to spice up a bland design.

Dec 7, 06 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

"starchitect"

Dec 7, 06 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

a motha f*cking men myriam

sorry...

but hey you know what i really hate
when people use the term "architectural" as an adjective describing the enhancement of a given object/space/buildings aesthetic appeal

"you see, by adding this cornice, its more architectural"

god that pisses me off
i had a boss who constantly used the word, in every concievable way, everything he did made something 'more architectural'... i felt it cheapened the root of the word, that a man as dumb as that had a license to use it

Dec 7, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

oh man that would seriously burn my chops.

Dec 7, 06 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
HHNB

IT IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE! My former boss loved saying this.

Trust me! The car salesman.

Dec 7, 06 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

yes yes "at the end of the day" has to be one that makes me wanna say F**K OFF!!
haha

and it's not SUV (Sport Utility Vehicle) anymore, the latest trend is Sport Crossover Vehicle = SCV

And not so much a term but my boss does this thing with his head whenever he's talking, and then slams his fists onto the table; and he'll do this like 10 times in the course of a very short discussion; gets on my friken nerves

Dec 7, 06 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

weird... my boss does that too... while yelling and calling you an idiot

Dec 7, 06 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
binary

from clients
:can you add this and this, it's simple:

from me
:can you add this and this, it's only a few hundred more:

Dec 7, 06 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

haha
good one letdown

Dec 7, 06 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
guppy

Brass tax

Dec 7, 06 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

um

starchitect

um

organic

um

new urbanism (give it up, it's not urban it's suburban)

um

it is what it is

um

sustainable

[seriously, you do not always have to have a sound coming out of your mouth]

Dec 7, 06 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

This has nothing to do with architecture per se, but I hate the word "spaghettios" Something about that many hard consonants together...

And what does "a priori" mean?

Dec 7, 06 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
guppy

"a priori" refers to something that is known independent of experience. "2+2=4", "triangles are 3-sided figures," and "all bachelors are unmarried" are typical examples philosophers give to describe this sort of truth. As opposed to "a posteriori": "Joe is wearing a blue shirt"...to know that I have to look at Joe and see if he is actually wearing a blue shirt...2+2=4 is true without the need to empirically verify it.

Dec 8, 06 12:37 am  · 
 · 
geimanj

so it could also be called "a given," yes?

Dec 8, 06 12:47 am  · 
 · 
guppy

basically yes....if you are actually doing philosophy it can become technical, but if you just like throwing latin around in your daily speech you could just as well use "its a given"

Dec 8, 06 10:36 am  · 
 · 
if you just like throwing latin around in your daily speech you could just as well use "its a given"

it is what it is. [sorry, chaos.]

Dec 8, 06 10:44 am  · 
 · 
AP

overheard ad nauseum (heheheh) at a recent Emerging Architect's conference:

"in this day and age"

"these days"

"nowadays"

"in the here and now"

"before too long"

Dec 8, 06 10:52 am  · 
 · 
AP

just overheard this very minute by one of the partners:

"if push comes to shove"

Dec 8, 06 10:54 am  · 
 · 

one that really pisses me off.

"are you busy?"

Dec 8, 06 10:56 am  · 
 · 

no way!!!! 5 minutes after my previous post, one of the partners came up to me and said "are you busy?"

Dec 8, 06 11:00 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

p2an...maybe your partner reads your posts?

Dec 8, 06 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

"Do you have anything for me to do?"

Makes me fell usless. I'd rather call in sick than ask this again.

Dec 8, 06 11:13 am  · 
 · 
ThriftyAcres

"Lets add a little architecture here..."

Listen guy, I have no clue what you are drawing or how you "add architecture" but that just sucks. Perhaps you should have stayed in engineering.

Dec 8, 06 11:41 am  · 
 · 
ThriftyAcres

Or from our engineer....

"We took it upon ourselves to draw up a few options that would cut down on cost's..."

Referring to last remaining element that hasn't been value engineered...yet...

Dec 8, 06 11:41 am  · 
 · 
ThriftyAcres

Or from everyone I'm scheduled to work with...

Monday Morning...

Me- "Do you have anything for me to do"

Them- "Come back on Thursday"
"Thursday"
"Check back with me on Thursday"
"Perhaps on Thursday we can dive into that"

Dec 8, 06 11:46 am  · 
 · 

damson, thats what i thought, oh flip - he's also on archinect!

Dec 8, 06 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

i'll get over it steven, i used to have a brilliant come back for that annoying phrase but somewhere along the way it disappeared from my little brain, and about that time the stupid thing actually popped up a couple of times in my speech and i nearly strangled myself...

Dec 8, 06 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

"i'll get over it steven, i used to have a brilliant come back for that annoying phrase but somewhere along the way it disappeared from my little brain, and about that time the stupid thing actually popped up a couple of times in my speech and i nearly strangled myself..."

Dec 8, 06 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

are you making fun of me dammson or are you saying my speech makes you cringe?

Dec 8, 06 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
dillup.

I haven't read this whole post, i just saw it, so this might be a repeat, but i cannot stand to hear the following:

"Architecture is like frozen music."

Dec 8, 06 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

"It's a working weekend. Thats why we got the labtops!" (he said this to me at 11:00AM when he called to inform me he wouldn't be in today (friday) and that he was going up to Michigan with his family)

"THATS ALL YOU GOT DONE IN 3 DAYS!!!" (What he yelled to me the following Monday)

Forgive me archinect for I have sinned.
I am also guilty of creating a phrase that now makes me cringe.

"It is what it is." I started saying this to try to stop my boss from wasting my whole day with his compliaining. But now he says it after every conversation.

Dec 9, 06 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

"I could care less!"

arrrrgh...

Dec 9, 06 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

"I mean it's not like you're not invited to the party..."

It's been a rough night. I may have a lengthy post on the "own your own firm?" thread tomorrow.

Dec 9, 06 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
some person

"the more, the merrier"

to which I think, "Is this your way of telling me that you really don't want me there, but you don't have the guts to say so?"

Dec 9, 06 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
Lookout Kid

"Freedom isn't free".

We all know that sacrifices have been made in the past to preserve democracy, but that doesn't justify the current unprovoiked war in Iraq.

"Sustainable" used to descirbe anything and everything that is sensitive to nature.

"Affordable Housing" used to describe subisidized housing for the poorest of the poor.

Dec 12, 06 1:44 am  · 
 · 
bregnier

Notes on drawings that make me itch:

1. p-lam (or other idiotic abbreviations like conc.)

2. furr-out

3. Vinyl wall base.

4. Chair rails.

5. Side Lite

6. Spandrel glass.

Dec 12, 06 2:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: