Archinect
anchor

nyc hotel recommendation

mnesikles

so we're spending xmas in new york this year.....
can anyone recommend some nice and/or interesting hotels that will make the experience cheery and bright?
keep in mind, we want something nice, but we still live on architects' salaries.
thanks for the help

Dec 1, 04 2:58 pm
mdler

DONT STAY AT HOTEL HABITAT ON 57th.

Dec 1, 04 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
fakeid

one of ian schrager's hotels ... eye pleasing, but form doesn't follow function ...

http://www.morganshotelgroup.com/

Dec 1, 04 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Marc Pittsley

Yeah, I believe there used to be a bargain rate room at the Hudson. Something like $99/night, but i might be wrong.

Dec 1, 04 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

a few weeks back I stayed at the Hilton, it's on 5th avenue between 53rd and 54th. The location is great - you're in the middle of everything, and right around the corner from the folk art museum, MOMA, lever house, etc, and David Child's new creation at columbus circle - oh, and central park.

If you stay in one of the top floors (I stayed on 42) you have access to the concierge level, and there's hours desvoures (spelling?), breakfast, and refreshments throughout the day. The building is decent, not great, but I'm speaking from the perspective of location.

It'll cost you though, it was around 300/night... I would imagine lower floors are less though.

Dec 1, 04 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
o+

the paramount is a quirky-cool modern place... 100-170$ when i was there

.the regency on park is a nice 'mature' joint, close to central park,
with a great hotel bar that draws an ecletic mix ...a bit pricier though, 200's if i remember...

Dec 1, 04 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Marc Pittsley

There's always the much-maligned Surf--er, THOR down on Rivington.

Dec 1, 04 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
marion

what things are you coming to NYC to see or do...because if you are coming for your first visit and you want to see all the "tourist" sites, I would recommend Midtown...or if you are familiar with the city, pick a neighborhood that you do not know very well...a great way to learn more about any city. Most friends that come here and stay near their "destinations" always talk about how much it added to their trip to have their hotel so convenient. hope you have a great time...NY at Christmas time is really beautiful.

Dec 1, 04 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

my ex-roommate stays at a place in chelsea that i believe
is somewhat cheapish...and it's full of art and all kinds of
quirky..it's on 27th i believe between 5th and 6th?...sorry
i can't remember the name..but it's really noticeable cause
it's red and has these hornlike projection light fixtures on
the outside..

Dec 1, 04 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

ok the name is the Gershwin and I guess it's more of a hostel/hotel..
but i think it's far more intersting than your typical choice in nyc

http://www.hostels.com/en/availability.php/HostelNumber.804

Dec 1, 04 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
johnson

larslarson - I think the one you're thinking of is the Carlton Arms (now "Ye Olde Carlton Arms"). It's kind of a fire trap, but relatively cheap and definitely worth the experience:

www.carltonarms.com

(click on the rooms button to see the art)

Dec 1, 04 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
johnson

oops...sorry, didn't see your second post about the Gershwin. Carlton Arms is in the same area though - E 25th St.

Dec 1, 04 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
mnesikles

marion,
no this is not our first trip....we have seen all the tourist stuff many times over......we're looking for a hotel that when we wake up on xmas morning, we don't feel like tourists in some bland hotel room.

Dec 1, 04 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
dlj

mnesikles : for a nice four star hotel that is definately interesting, check out the maritime on west 16th. i stayed there during a job interview and i was most impressed. the rooms are cozy and enjoyable and there is a great lounge/bar downstairs. http://www.themaritimehotel.com/

Dec 4, 04 10:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: