Archinect
anchor

religious architecture by non-religious architects

curtkram

that's a baptismal?  they literally put a golden cow in a christian church, after that whole ordeal on the mountain with moses and the cow and the stone tablets and whatnot?

i feel like maybe this suggests we should not be letting religious people design religious buildings.  the iconography just seems under-researched.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus+32

Jul 15, 14 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I did not know people baptized cows... makes sense given how little sense this bullshit  (ha!... a pun) makes.

Jul 15, 14 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

curt, comes from the description of the Temple of Solomon. 1 Kings 7.

The Sea stood on twelve bulls, three facing north, three facing west, three facing south and three facing east. The Sea rested on top of them, and their hindquarters were toward the center. 26 It was a handbreadth in thickness, and its rim was like the rim of a cup, like a lily blossom. It held two thousand baths.

Not for baptizing cows, but for baptizing the dead. Not sure how that goes down, I'd be curious to know. 

Jul 15, 14 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

depiction of Solomon's temple with "The Sea" out front. 

Jul 15, 14 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

"Hard to believe they adopted a strict classical style, seems they have their own style, are they abandoning it?"

The decision to have all new LDS temples be in the classical language is relatively recent.  They have made it very clear that this is the new standard for them.  The church has become a big proponent of education in classical architecture, and huge supporters of programs like those offered by the ICAA.

Jul 15, 14 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

tint, I am disappointed to learn that those were not for cows.

Jul 15, 14 1:37 pm  · 
 · 

Wow this one is truly inspiring:

...in that inspires loud laughter from me. So gaudy (not god-ey).

Jul 15, 14 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

NS, disappointing indeed. This would be the equivalent item for cows: 

Jul 15, 14 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

dang, no-where near as glorious. Perhaps we have discovered a niche... I bet there is good money in cow baptisms.

Jul 15, 14 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

tint's recent picture is by far the more pleasing cow.

so the mormons put golden cows in their temples because that's what solomon did?

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Kings%2011:9-13

Jul 15, 14 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

holy cow!

Jul 16, 14 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I just thought of a really funny way to make a Jacuzzi version...the section that I am imagining has the butts of the cows with built in jets....you get the jist...

Jul 16, 14 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

LOL jla-x.  I have the sense of humor or a 12yo boy so yes, I laughed.

Jul 16, 14 9:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: