Archinect
anchor

product design

RValu100

Has anyone here with an arch degree gotten into product design? If so, did you need additional coursework?

Jan 18, 11 9:15 am

Michael Graves seemed to do it, not sure if he took any additional classes...

I work on the fringe of product design in architecture, I don't believe that there are any hard pre-requisites to industrial design (such as licensure) that would make an additional degree necessary, but it may be hard to break into the industry (especially at this point) without formal credentials. All in all, the tools used by product designers are similar (Rhino is common for modeling) and heavy use of rapid-prototyping/3D print tools, so heavy experience with these tools might help get you in the door for an interview.

Jan 18, 11 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

RV - my wife has been attempting to make that jump and it's not quite as easy as one might think. There's a different set of tools (as Michael notes) but there's a different workflow, set of criteria, codes, regulations etc. Also, a lot depends on what you mean by 'product' - simpler items are not going to require as intensive background than say designing the next iphone or airbus jetliner will. So, it really depends.

If you're young and this is where your passion lies, make the move now. Take coursework (if you can) on materials and production processes and, as noted, learn some of the tools (Rhino's there, but Solidworks is more of a standard industry wide). And be persistent as the NY bedbug...

Jan 18, 11 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Design something. Let your design talk.

If you can't design something absolutely stunning with no formal education, education will not help you become a better designer.

It also depends on where you want to go.

Luxury products are usually solid body, machined or spun cast.
Cheap products are usually mold-injected, punched metal or sheet fabricated.

If you're making a bunch of plastic chairs, an industrial design degree will only teach you how to do the underbracing so it doesn't collapse.

Jan 18, 11 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

i've kinda fallen into some custom furniture design and i designed a specialized medical cart -- these are bespoke, very simple things, as Greg Walker notes, so there is not knowledge barrier in this instance, and otherwise I generally agree with MS Bergin's comment

Jan 18, 11 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

its way past posters and toasters...

Jan 18, 11 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

if images pop up here then sorry about that....i was using the preview tab to test for another created post...

Jan 18, 11 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Darth Spacer

I have a few furniture concepts, how would I about submitting to manufactures and also how do I know they will stay honest?
Does anyone have any connections in this field?

Feb 1, 11 5:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: