Archinect
anchor

Tokyo Visit

atmos

my studio is heading to tokyo in 2 weeks for a site visit to odaiba. its my first time there so i wanted to know of recommendations of spots to visit or things to see.

Oct 6, 07 8:31 pm

Check the Tokyo tour by Ludwig here.

Oct 6, 07 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
crishen

By any chance, are you a student at the University of Hawai'i?

Oct 8, 07 1:38 am  · 
 · 
mkokimoto

If you can get to Osaka, visit the Osaka sewer museum. It's six floors dedicated to the treatment of raw sewage. Besides the food, thats the reason I really want to go to Osaka. Yes, I want to see sewage.

If you appreciate art/culture such as anime, be sure to visit the Ghibli Museum. It is dedicated to work of Studio Ghibli, a well known and very famous studio in Japan. You might be familiar with some of their work.

How about Tokyo Tower? Thats sort of interesting.

some folks have been telling me to visit this place called a 'maid cafe'. Apparently its a cafe where the waitresses dress like cute maids and serve you fruit parfait. It doesn't sound all too bad, that fruit parfait thing. What do you guys think it tastes like? Cheesecake?

Man I want some cheesecake now.

But how about taking a list of Ando's work with you and visiting the Tokyo sites you believe to be of interest? Have you guys ever had cheesecake with blueberries on top?

It's weird how cheesecake is made from a dairy product but I love eating it with milk! It's like eating mashed potatoes with a side of white rice.

Oct 8, 07 2:52 am  · 
 · 

nani?

ghibli is slightly ok, but is like disneyland in enough ways to be a turnoff if not expecting it.

my office is a few blocks from tokyo tower and i couldn't recommend it. it has a column in its center and a building at its base. makes no sense that it is otherwise a copy of the eiffel tower...

you might enjoy going to shinonome. google shinonome canal court for pics and architects. it is an updated version of modernist housing estate by ots of famous people. also has quite good landscape architecture, in a peter walker-ish sort of style.

omotesando is cool enough for the architecture. marunouchi side of tokyo station has recent project my michael hopkins that i kinda like. cool exterior deck on 7th floor or so that is very nice.

lots of areas in the city that are nice for ambience. maybe area around inokashira park for example...

of course also roppongi hills is cool to see. not great but different, and with a panoramic view (1500 yen ticket to access along with gallery) of city.

since you are in odaiba you might also think about visiting kurokawa's capsule hotel...it is literally across the street, kitty corner, from the backside of jean nouvel's tower in shiodome. the train to odaiba stops almost right in front of the area as you scoot back onto the mainland.

i could probably think of a few other places but mostly it depends on what you are interested in. best thing to do is find an archi-tour book for tokyo. it is bound to have all the good stuff. for the rest i think (general ambience etc) anywhere in tokyo is cool.

Oct 8, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

serch, this topic has gotta be up there with 'grad school?' on # of times covered.

Oct 8, 07 8:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: