Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

JLC-1

how tall are the horses they are giving to fresh graduates these days?

Nov 15, 17 11:20 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I hadn't looked into the jobs page in a while, and the first job offering is for Fapman and associates...

Nov 15, 17 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The thought of having only one job is strange. I have 4. Down from 5 earlier this year. My resume needs footnotes, still doesn't make sense. So, Why do new grads get tall horses? What that mean?

Nov 15, 17 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

High horse. Duh me.

Nov 16, 17 8:41 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

yep.

Nov 16, 17 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I just emailed a client, and let them know the changes they were making - "flipping the plan" - after nearly 80% CD completion, would necessitate an additional service, at $125.00 hr, for 40 hours. Given the "pro-bono" fee for the project, this makes it likely that I will "fire" the client. Shame. Good.

Nov 15, 17 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

there's a lot of ""!

Nov 15, 17 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

You could provide a mirror to whoever has to read the plans. $8. Just kidding.

Nov 15, 17 11:38 pm  · 
 · 

Print the CDs backwards.

Nov 16, 17 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Print the CDs backwards.

Nov 16, 17 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I got a contrite voicemail, hoping to discuss, and that the re-laying out of the plan are minor, and shouldn't take much time. OKA, I spent $8 on a mirror.

Nov 16, 17 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Why do you even need plans, just wave your arms around.

Nov 17, 17 1:50 pm  · 
 · 

That's exactly what my old man did.

Nov 17, 17 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Old men can do things others can't do. You have to earn it?

Nov 17, 17 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I wrote a poem. I hope people like it.

Nov 16, 17 11:20 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

yes, sadly.

Nov 16, 17 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Nice job.

Nov 17, 17 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray
Awesome, Josh! Which school? I love critting. Isn't it fun?! And makes you feel great to realize, "oh, I actually have something of value to contribute!"
Nov 16, 17 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

It was SAIC

Nov 20, 17 11:54 am  · 
 · 
I'm not a robot

the harassment thread seems to be bringing the creeps out of the woodwork.

Nov 16, 17 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

example?

Nov 17, 17 3:39 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Who'd have guessed that a thread titled "Sexual Harassment" would get creepy and unpleasant?

Nov 17, 17 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

It doesn't need to be a dirty subject.

Nov 17, 17 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

it's friday!

Nov 17, 17 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jUtYVm3MzA

Nov 17, 17 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

..give it a chance it's actually really beautiful.

Nov 17, 17 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
Schoon

You're not wrong! I put this on in the background for 15 minutes or so and kind of enjoyed it.

Nov 17, 17 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I like that Chris, I just got the latest laurie anderson soundtrack for her film, a lot of tibetan sounds

Nov 18, 17 10:27 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

sorry for the delay, Yes, I like Glass, especially after koyanitqatsi

Nov 21, 17 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

What's the difference between a nitch and niche?

A nitch is on a contract job, a niche is on a T&M job.

Nov 17, 17 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

One is French, the other Uhmericun.

Nov 17, 17 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Question for you all. If one of your employees was subcontracting their work out, would you want to know? Or would you not care as long as the work got done? It used to be that whistle blowing was  a nono and you should just keep your mouth shut. However, In the spirit of all the whistle blowing going on now, you know... Some of the work would require government clearance to perform which the subcontractor doesn't have. (Asking for a friend.)

Nov 19, 17 9:10 am  · 
 · 

Cause for immediate termination for a multitude of reasons.

Nov 19, 17 9:38 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Terminate, with extreme prejudice. The firm liability, and jail time, whoo-hoo. No second chances, no warning, nada. Change network password, have security at the door when they arrive.

Nov 19, 17 10:38 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Aw shit.

Nov 19, 17 10:58 am  · 
 · 

To be fully responsible the contractor would report the situation to the client with the knowledge that this could result in termination of the contract and other penalties. Better up front than bitten hard on the ass later.

Nov 19, 17 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

What Miles said.

Nov 19, 17 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

It isn't happening anymore. No current activity.

Nov 19, 17 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

And I refused to do it. It cost me other jobs. Thats ok. Is that coersion though? 

Nov 19, 17 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Making other work contingent on doing that work. I don't know if that is illegal or not. Prob not, but unethical for sure.

Nov 20, 17 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

It is so silly.

Nov 20, 17 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

...I got fired from 2 other jobs for not doing the one, the one that is a security breach, and now refusal to pay for work already done on the two because of it too. Does that make sense? Of course not.

Nov 20, 17 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

BTW, not been fired again, same story, new chapter as this summer.

Nov 20, 17 5:25 pm  · 
 · 

Don't forget that you have some leverage to collect: ratting them out. There's also small claims court. I'd use ratting them out to get paid then rat them out anyway.

Nov 20, 17 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

^and of course this crossed my mind, but somebody going to jail is kinda a big deal. Fodder for our pro practice classes perhaps, or not because it's pretty out there. Only my luck!

Nov 20, 17 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

They should have thought about that up front. Aside from that, letting assholes get away with this shit just enables them. I'm far more concerned about the way you've been treated than I am about "security issues".

Nov 20, 17 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Thanks everyone. I couldn't function very well without the support I get here. Made some positive headway in this thorn. My skills: arguing 10/10, software 6/10. I should have been a lawyer myself with those stats. Again thanks everyone, the power of the mob works.

Nov 21, 17 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

When you can, I know we'd all love to hear some juicy details, especially where just deserts are served and you come out on top.

Nov 21, 17 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I will come out "on top" if I want to. But I think everyone involved lost. There are no winners here.

Nov 22, 17 8:31 am  · 
 · 

The only way there aren't any "winners" is if they don't get over on you. Level the playing field.

Nov 22, 17 9:46 am  · 
 · 

That didn't come out like I intended. It's not about winning, it's about eliminating destructive, abusive behavior. We don't need any more of that, there's already a vast surplus.

Nov 22, 17 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Miles, if I ever run into you at an AIA conference or something (ha) I'll tell you all the details.

Nov 23, 17 10:36 am  · 
 · 

You will NEVER run into me at an AIA conference. Art Week in Miami, yes.

Nov 23, 17 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Yeah, me neither. Ha!

Nov 23, 17 11:14 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I feel like I need a law degree just to practice architecture. 

Nov 19, 17 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

One of the downfalls not just of this profession but of society in general. Even worse is the selective application. If you've got enough dough the rules don't apply.

Nov 19, 17 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Feels more like everybody needs to chill, amazed at the 1000 word responses to some posts on a weekend, get a life, nerds.

Nov 19, 17 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Just seen too many get destroyed with law suits. Witnessing it yet again. Don't want it to be my fate. It destroys lives, families. The ARE was easy compared to practice, are you kidding?

Nov 20, 17 5:31 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Sorry, that came out wrong, wasn't commenting on the lawsuit side of things, just on how up the wire we all are

Nov 20, 17 9:25 am  · 
 · 

Here in Paradise lawsuits are used as a means to an end, typically avoiding fees, gleeful expression of malicious behavior, getting zoning or approvals one is not entitled to, etc.

Nov 20, 17 9:28 am  · 
 · 

Thus Jaffe's Second Law.

Nov 20, 17 9:35 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Yes Miles, I know all that very well - had a client wanting to pay us to review all of the recently approved homes to contest the definition of "garage" against the building dept.

Nov 20, 17 10:16 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'm taking two online classes, one for paralegals and one that is law for non-lawyers and reading a book called Law for Architects. Good stuff.

Nov 23, 17 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

My motivation to work the rest of the week just left.

Nov 21, 17 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I'm taking the rest of the week off

Nov 21, 17 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

What's her name?

Nov 21, 17 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Arg...damn Pilgrams!

Don't get me talking about the Law and Lawyers.  I had a client for all practical purposes wins a lawsuit this week and they have never paid me after ten years....Now tell me how that grabs you.

I have another client who is an out and out thief. He owes me a ton of money and  my state legislators are standing behind his family in an ice deportation  case.  They look at these things on the surface and never dig deep enough to uncover all the below the bar things that  are going on.

Nov 23, 17 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

After being screwed by a lawyer I filed a complaint with the state bar association only to find that his partner was president of the bar and that the asshole lawyer was in charge of reviewing complaints against lawyers. No shit.

Nov 23, 17 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

"Every serious multi-family housing studio leader should have a deep passion and portfolio in award-winning mixed-use, market rate, and affordable housing along with superior communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively.

However,

You are more than an architect; you are the builder of communities, the voice of the people, and the redliner of the AIA Housing Awards. You not only can sell ice cubes to an Eskimo, you know the secret to setting up those ice cubes juuuuuust so in order to lower heating costs and improve marketability.

You want to lead, and reap the profits of your efforts, and work with some of the most creative, fun and progressive people in our industry, and eat chocolate-covered potato chips.

Guess what? We have the job for you.

JLG Architects is seeking a Practice Leader for our Multi-Family Housing studio. Not just any Practice Leader, mind you. The JLGdwell Practice Leader:"

Yes, people still think this acceptable.

Nov 25, 17 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

well, that's impressive...

Nov 25, 17 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This ad just reeks of "whites only".

Nov 25, 17 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

I'm sure there are others who would be applicable... Uncle Ruckus from the Boondocks for example...

Nov 25, 17 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

More of the kind of high falutin bullshit that makes architects insufferable

Nov 25, 17 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

http://jlgarchitects.com/about/jlgers

Nov 27, 17 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

http://jlgarchitects.com/article/112117/new-digs-for-jail-inmates

See or stay

Tours and an overnight stay are among opportunities for county residents to see the inside of the new Ward County Detention Center.

Public tours are scheduled for next Monday from 3 to 6 p.m. Entrance to the jail is on the north side.

The Ward County Sheriff's Office also is taking applications from residents interested in becoming the first to try out the new jail's accommodations while raising money for the Domestic Violence Crisis Center. Participants will undergo mock arrest and booking on Dec. 1. Officers will transport them to the jail, where they don orange jumpsuits to spend the night. They will be served an evening meal and breakfast before release.

The $50 cost paid by each participant will be matched by the St. Joseph's Community Health Foundation to provide a $100 donation to the crisis center.

As of Monday, 22 people had signed up. There is a limit of 50 participants.

Nov 27, 17 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
"Ask him how he moved so far right, and he declares that public discourse has become “so toxic that there’s no way to effectively lobby for interests that involve white people.” He name-drops Murray Rothbard and Hans-Hermann Hoppe, architects of “anarcho-capitalism,” with its idea that free markets serve as better societal regulators than the state. And he refers to the 2013 science-fiction movie “Pacific Rim,” in which society is attacked by massive monsters that emerge from beneath the Pacific Ocean."

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/25/us/ohio-hovater-white-nationalist.html?referer=https://t.co/KkEE2rmhTv

Makes you think about Schumacher.
Nov 25, 17 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

So DMX just released a cover of Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer that is sadly disappointing. It just isn't a DMX song without the f word and references to genitalia. 

Nov 29, 17 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Really missed an opportunity there to dress up like Santa and throw presents at kids screaming 'X GON GIVE IT TO YA'

Nov 29, 17 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

Hi TC! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I spent my mine skiing, since the missus was back East.

Also, wanted to share this re: what $550,000 will get you in New Mexico... What a view!

"Designed by Michael Reynolds, a longtime practitioner of sustainable architecture, the house is built with earth-filled tires that retain and release heat. Despite the region’s extreme weather conditions, the temperature inside is consistently about 70 degrees. The house produces its own electricity, collects and filters water from rain and snowmelt, and treats sewage on site. Gray water is recycled for plants in a greenhouse that runs the length of the building and includes a fishpond. Natural ventilation is provided through buried cooling tubes and operable vent boxes."

Nov 30, 17 1:02 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

seems pricey for an earthship in the middle of NM. Does it include land?

Dec 6, 17 9:48 am  · 
 · 
kjdt

I'd recommend not mentioning in your portfolio or future interviews how long that charrette took. I was just on a jury for a 6-hour 1-day charrette where almost all of the 2-person teams of students had more developed end products, even though no computers were allowed. Also you should just say "Landscape Student from [School X]" - not "2 landscape students whose names I forgot"!

Dec 16, 17 10:31 am  · 
 · 
kjdt

That seems fine. You should probably get somebody to do a once-over of the whole site for grammar and such, if you're planning to leave it up. Things like "I have took" tend to jump out. I only skimmed 2 pages and saw at least 20 of them.

Dec 16, 17 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Love me some Earthships.

Nov 30, 17 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

*Legal* edible cannabis. Thanks Oregon!

Dec 1, 17 4:36 pm  · 
 · 

I wonder how well it actually performs. And how far it is to the grocery store.

Nov 30, 17 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Green house

Dec 1, 17 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

With exceptions, they perform fairly well but require some engagement. I think a lot of the complaints people have about discomfort in Earthships stem from our idea - made commonplace by generations of active HVAC - that systems of comfort are "set and forget" mechanisms. 

re "Grocery store", one of my biggest hangups about Earthships so far is that they only seem to be built in remote rural areas. I can't help but wonder how much of the energy saved by the house itself is offset by the fact that its inhabitants regularly need to drive 50+ miles per day to go about their lives. Ideally the house provides food for its inhabitants, but even in the best case scenario I don't think that's realistic, and without some kind of disaster or societal collapse that would necessitate the Earthships' inhabitants to subsist solely on the products of their land, people simply aren't that disciplined.

Full disclosure I worked on a build crew in 2010. I learned a lot about sustainable building techniques, and a lot about the very human failings of people who are held up as idols.

Dec 1, 17 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

They are situated in remote areas because that's where it's relatively affordable to buy the required land needed to be somewhat self-sufficient. My problem with Earthships is, that it only works because of other people's waste, doesn't work on a larger scale, and it's not an alternative for the problems we are facing at large, it's a cop out for a lucky few. Only look at the amount of land required to partly sustain one single house, if everybody would live like that, there's simply not enough land, old tires, empty bottles or used car batteries around.

Dec 2, 17 3:50 am  · 
 · 

It's always a mind twister the first time you find out that your adored mentor is a frail human being who is just as screwed up as everyone else, if not more so.

What I've found is that people who truly excel at one thing are absolutely awful at something else. It's a matter of balance. 

Dec 1, 17 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
KozZ

Make an adult size diaper and shit in it Curtis

Dec 2, 17 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Dear lord, hope the drama in the other thread won't drive away one of our most prominent forumite (DC) all because of some petty squabbling over a minute issue.

Dec 3, 17 2:47 am  · 
 · 

Funny, due to blocks I was missing the self-immolation thread. Had to lift them to find DC channeling RB, but without the grace. 

Too much forum posting is a sign that one's reality is not working.

Dec 3, 17 9:41 am  · 
 · 

Trump is irrelevant when the entire system is fraud. Stop being duped by the obvious Weapon of Mass Distraction.

Dec 3, 17 11:29 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

wtf? 

Dec 4, 17 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

not interested in becoming a member of that, thanks

Dec 4, 17 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

italy, but if you google the number, it's been all over for a while, it took him a while to get here.

Dec 4, 17 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I would imagine a cult secretly running the world would not need to advertise. But what do I know? I'm not running the world.

Dec 4, 17 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Maybe you are, and this post is meant to turn our attention away from your evil plot. Well... I'm on to you. Confess!!

Dec 4, 17 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

he is not of the cult, just here to help you become a member, call him

Dec 4, 17 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I heard they're very licentious.

Dec 6, 17 10:01 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

The "wright place".  I see what you did there antoniocaso.  

Dec 4, 17 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I finally got paid for work I did in August. Didn't have to take anybody to court at least. I'm celebrating by getting an eggnog latte from Starbucks. I ordered a medium. They said "Tall?" I said no, medium. Speaking of cults. I don't get their ordering rules. 

Dec 6, 17 9:44 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Distracted. The latte was worth it.

Dec 6, 17 11:56 am  · 
 · 

Congrats. Sucks to have to say that for something that should have happened as a matter of course. I'll bet you never thought you'd be running collection agency when you signed up for architecture.

Dec 6, 17 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Are you laughing all the way to the bank? Or just relieved? :)

Dec 6, 17 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Ever notice Starbucks's names for sizes are all some version of 'large' ?

Dec 7, 17 3:19 am  · 
 · 
randomised

No, hadn't noticed since I only drink real coffee.

Dec 7, 17 4:08 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Coffee is for depressed people says the red bull drinker. I literally go to Starbucks twice a year just to see if they still think tall means medium. I did not go to the bank, money is electronic. I went shopping.

Dec 7, 17 9:29 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The eggnog thing was really really good tho.

Dec 7, 17 9:29 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Bench, exactly. They always give deep eye contact too. And act like we're great friends that have known each other for years. So elegantly casual, kind, helpful, and friendly. A cult.

Dec 7, 17 9:48 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I can just about predict how much David Curtis has had to drink based on the frequency & solipsism of his posts here.

Dec 6, 17 11:55 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I never said it was a bad thing.

Dec 6, 17 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i just fired my client.

Dec 6, 17 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Did you give them a severance discount?

Dec 7, 17 8:23 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Congrats.

Dec 7, 17 10:09 am  · 
 · 

Just saying, these are current teaching job listings. I hope you can use if interested..

Dec 7, 17 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

the list is from ACSA.

Dec 7, 17 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

That's quite a list

Dec 8, 17 3:29 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

I wonder how many of these jobs already are "filled" and these ads are just to collect resumes so they can say that the anointed candidate was chosen in a competitive process.

Dec 8, 17 7:05 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Well, I had several interviews for different academic positions and am definitely not an inside connection, would they bother setting up bogus interviews with multiple candidates if they know from the start who's going to get it? That seems like such a waste of everyone's time. I didn't get those jobs in the end but hope because someone else was more qualified. Better luck next time, perhaps...

Dec 10, 17 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Randomised, that dog-and-pony show is sometimes done because a formal search process is mandated (by the institution, and/or state gov't in the case of state schools), in all its glorious steps-- despite having a candidate in house or in mind.

Of course, some searches don't have forgone conclusions and are legit.  But you can never know for sure as an applicant. At the very least, it's good practice, but frustrating nonetheless.

Dec 10, 17 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I spot checked 5 randomly to see if any required any actual experience in the field. None did. Why the heck is experience not something academia values? What a circus.

Dec 11, 17 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Agreed, though the specific assignment would impact this, since faculties tend to be fairly compartmentalized. History, theory, computation, etc. would not be seen as needing practical/ office experience. It's usually the small army of part-time adjunct-practitioners who are used to fill that need, one studio at a time.

Dec 11, 17 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

Tinbeary, yes, however, the real world experience of architecture potentially could become a plus factor during the interview and the final evaluation.

Dec 11, 17 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
NJ, where dreams go to get shot, and put on life support.
Dec 11, 17 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

In NJ, that would be too
humane.

Dec 11, 17 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The rent, is too damn high.

Dec 11, 17 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Do tell.

Dec 11, 17 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I just bought a faux fur coat. My little present for getting licensed this year. 

Dec 12, 17 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Beware the rascal throwing faux paint...

And kudos on licensure!

Dec 12, 17 3:11 pm  · 
 · 

Yay! I still haven't bought a licensure present for myself. I have a couple of ideas, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Also, too busy adulting and being responsible with my money ... or something like that.

Dec 12, 17 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I would recommend the fur coat but I don't know if men can do those... Anything that makes you feel like a million bucks. What are your ideas?

Dec 13, 17 9:03 am  · 
 · 

I might be able to pull off a faux fur coat ... probably depends on the context. I don't think I could pull it off as a fashion statement. I'm probably more of a let's hang out around a campfire fur coat kind of guy. Other ideas for a licensure present are more focused on technology rather than fashion. New camera, new tablet, etc. Though I have thought about getting a new suit and some dress shirts tailored.

Dec 13, 17 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Buy a shearling coat. Real fur. Men can wear it. Warm as hell.

Dec 13, 17 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Now I want a fur sleeping bag.

Dec 13, 17 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I have a shearling coat. Used to be my favorite. Good idea.

Dec 13, 17 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

I tried on a faux fur coat in a thrift store. It was blue. It made me look like Cookie Monster.

Dec 19, 17 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

mmm cookie.

Dec 20, 17 10:42 am  · 
 · 
I’m on a conference call and one of the people is being a TOTAL BABY and having a self righteous tantrum. S/he must be a Moore voter.
Dec 13, 17 11:37 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Fuuuuuck this company.

Dec 13, 17 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Georgia Pacific is owned by the Koch Brothers... I've been specifying USG as a sole-source for gypsum and cementitious products ever since I found out about this.

Dec 15, 17 11:03 am  · 
 · 

Thx for this archanonymous.

Dec 15, 17 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

NO! This type of thing should NOT be happening. We are architects, not advocates. Why are you advocating our own personal causes and politics with your clients' money when they are (probably*) not asking you to do it? 

*If a client gave specific instructions to boycott, that's fine ... it's their money if they want to boycott something, not yours.

Dec 15, 17 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
I'm not a robot

I don’t see a problem with not spec’ing certain products. If client wants to use them then they can sign off on it. They can’t force us to put our stamp on products we don’t feel comfortable using.

Dec 15, 17 9:48 pm  · 
 · 

Not a robot, it's one thing to not spec certain products for architectural reasons. It's a completely different thing to do it for political reasons. Would your clients even know the reason you didn't spec it so they could sign off on it instead? Do you have a meeting to explain all the products you boycott? Do you give the client a list? Or are you just using your position of authority to further your political agenda without your clients' consent?

Dec 17, 17 11:01 am  · 
 · 

I saw The Last Jedi last night. My face during the movie:

Dec 15, 17 11:29 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Is that a good thing or not?

Dec 15, 17 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

Sooooo jealous!

Dec 15, 17 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

Oh it's a damn good thing. To me, it is on Empire's level. Maybe even surpasses it (will judge after watching a couple more times). I'm not going to say more since I don't want to spoil it.

Dec 15, 17 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

I think I'm going to go see it again tomorrow. I will say that I can see why some people hate it. It seems like a lot of people kind of just wanted the ESB remake, and that just is not this movie. I'm in the let Rian Johnson direct all Star Wars movies from now on camp.

Dec 16, 17 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

NHL Alumni game on the hill in front of the Canadian Parliament buildings tonight.  Try doing that in DC. Jealous? Of course you all are.

Drinking, has already begun while finishing up the week in preparation for the cold and snow.

Dec 15, 17 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

who said anything about pre? 8-)

Dec 15, 17 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

the FCC does not have jurisdiction here. We did not an orange doofus afterall.

Dec 15, 17 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

this forum needs some serious housekeeping, almost answered to a comment from 2010.

Dec 19, 17 11:28 am  · 
 · 
citizen

[to JLC's point, I found a couple of ancient Arquinecte post from the olde days]

"Dost anyone yonder know whence I might find a plan for the Parthenon by Master Phidias thither in Athens?  Might thou post it?"

"Hath anyone performed draughting in yon studio of Sr. Michelangelo?  Methinks his oeuvre beauteous, but I've heard rumblings he dost get a wee bit handsy around the atelier."

Dec 19, 17 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

you can tell it's xmas week! well done....

Dec 19, 17 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

used up all my vacation time, so now i'm at work with nothing to do.....

looks like there are about 5 people here out of the usual 50ish

bored......

Dec 26, 17 8:29 am  · 
 · 
I'm not a robot

twitter is a great place if you want to build yourself an echo chamber.

Dec 26, 17 10:55 pm  · 
 · 

I've found it a great place to get *out* of my echo chamber, but I had to consciously look for smart voices with whom I disagree to follow so I get that alternate perspective.

Dec 27, 17 9:43 am  · 
 · 

I provide my own alternate perspectives.

Dec 27, 17 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I have enough "alternate perspectives" inside my own head too. But I do get tweets everyday in my email and I never read a single one.

Dec 27, 17 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

My parents gave me a talk about not getting wrapped up in that Twitter stuff. The kind of way most parents would talk about staying away from sex or drugs. But with more yelling and spitting.

Dec 27, 17 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

what is an echo chamber and why is it bad?

Dec 27, 17 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

An echo chamber us when you surround yourself with messages and opinions that match your own so much so that you never hear anything but that.

Dec 27, 17 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

kind of growing up before the digital era? when you had only friends and family to talk to?

Dec 27, 17 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Right.

Dec 27, 17 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Maybe dad should help her launch her own channel.

Dec 27, 17 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

That's correct, but at least you could talk. Twitter is a constant dumpster fire.

Dec 27, 17 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

You are allowed to speak in your family? Interesting concept.

Dec 28, 17 10:15 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I swear, some people don't even know how to put pants on without asking for help. Never would have made it past age 3 in the house I grew up in doing that how do I do this crap. You'd get run over or locked out in the cold and that would be the end of it. Too bad, so sad.

Dec 27, 17 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I always help them, after a while I'm still here and they are not.

Dec 27, 17 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Do they get hit by a truck eventually?

Dec 27, 17 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I hope they know how to cross a road

Dec 27, 17 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

With step by step instructions.

Dec 27, 17 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Hahaha - my point is, If I do it for them or stand by and give them instructions they will never learn, hence I will always be needed.

Dec 27, 17 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

It just doesn't even occur to me to ask for help or to ask people to do things for me. Maybe I should be doing more of it.

Dec 27, 17 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

don't be needy, be helpy - looks better.

Dec 27, 17 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I try to help, it turns into I do everything and get overwhelmed.

Dec 27, 17 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I got the flu. :( Ug, can't eat, can't even hardly stand.

Dec 27, 17 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I guess I should think of it as kicking off the season of slimming down with a good start.

Dec 27, 17 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I willed it away.

Dec 28, 17 11:29 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

How's life today DC? big change in Caliland!

Jan 3, 18 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

the recreational one. you won't notice, you're a serious man.

Jan 3, 18 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

accessibility and prosecutability are different nouns.

Jan 3, 18 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Does anybody know how close a tree can be planted to hardscape? I can't find it in any of my resources. Maybe it differs per species?

Jan 5, 18 10:44 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Although I don't have a specific source, I've always relied of the rough outline of the tree's expected foliage (drip edge) to determine distance from sidewalks.

Jan 5, 18 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Right, that is a rule of thumb I know too but it is broken all the time. There are trees everywhere with just a little 3 or 4 foot tree grate. Thanks!

Jan 5, 18 11:06 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I figured that would not be much help... we tend to have a landscape arch on most of our projects for this reason. I think my head is still frozen.

Jan 5, 18 11:08 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

it does differ per species, and the distance issue is more of a safety net for the hardscape than the tree, roots can lift houses.

https://www.greenblue.com/na/a...

Jan 5, 18 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

That is very helpful, thanks so much!!!

Jan 5, 18 11:21 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

it's good to be helpful. if only translated to pay.....

Jan 5, 18 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I can buy you lunch...

Jan 5, 18 11:28 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Thanks, I didn't mean here

Jan 5, 18 11:33 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

I'll take lunch... what do you need help with?

Jan 5, 18 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Nothing, but I'll have some lunch.

Jan 5, 18 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I came across this while looking for something else. Does studio still look like this? I was under the impression everyone does computer projects now. I think explains thread central though, and all the humor and banter we all like to do.

Jan 5, 18 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

This guy's work is stunning and beautiful and everything I wish I could have done with my Cranbrook degree. Positive Pete, we all wonder how we could have done better. Enjoy the good things, because there are many, and don't torture yourself with "might have beens". Also, your telling of that story was super enjoyable! 

Jan 7, 18 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Anyone else following the latest investigations into King Trump's mental condition? This hard working man doesn't go to work before 11 am either. Who can still defend this guy?

Jan 8, 18 10:42 am  · 
 · 
randomised

The less he "works" the better I would say :)

Jan 8, 18 11:59 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

True, true. Love that positivity!

Jan 8, 18 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Looks like I missed out on some TC fun this weekend.

Jan 8, 18 10:57 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Cheers!

Jan 9, 18 10:10 am  · 
 · 

I'm trying really hard NOT to describe the house in the How to describe our home? thread.

Jan 9, 18 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

you just need a little bit of peer pressure. Come'on... what's the worst that could happen?

Jan 9, 18 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

You can do it!

Jan 9, 18 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Is uglier-than-a-bag-of-smashed-assholes a style?

Jan 9, 18 6:13 pm  · 
 · 

Stupid is a style when worn with pride.

Jan 9, 18 6:41 pm  · 
 · 

It's like picking on an 8 year old. You're just going to make them feel bad.

Jan 9, 18 10:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: