Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

archiwutm8

Has anyone worked at any of multiplex offices around the world? Any experiences? 

I'm unsure if I want to swap my flipflops and shorts for the suit again.

Jul 14, 17 5:34 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Back on to the tilt wall.  I've been doing a bit of research after a strategy was handed down from above...  The bigger structure of the two they want to utilize a Thermomass (tm) sandwich panel, while on the smaller building they want to use just a tilt up panel with insulation on the interior.  Frankly, I'm worried about the performance of the smaller building with the insulation furred in on the inside.  The tilt up panels are only supposed to be 6" thick at R.08 per inch I'm looking at a R.48 for the outer wall.  It's a hot & humid area, I can almost guarantee they'll be dealing with condensation problems from the get go.  Any advise from those here that've worked with tilt up?  I just feel that if we're going to do it, we need to do it the right way, it frustrates me to no end when the CMAR throws these ideas out there but never considers any implications of those decisions outside of construction cost.

Jul 14, 17 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
It's like a thousand degrees in Phoenix. I'm getting dummer by the minute.
Jul 15, 17 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

Jul 17, 17 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I wonder which lobby is putting out this bullshit....

https://www.theguardian.com/uk...

Jul 17, 17 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

Clearly not sprinkler manufacturers.

Jul 19, 17 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Holy shit, you mean life isn't guaranteed to be safe? Fires can spread? People's actions have consequences and karma isn't real? STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES.

Jul 19, 17 8:20 pm  · 
 · 

I just used the Forever Alone meme to respond to a question about bringing significant others to the office summer party. 

Jul 19, 17 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

I suppose - although I'm not sure you can call memes crafty?

Jul 19, 17 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Don't be that guy....

Jul 19, 17 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

office summer party? is it something like the xmas party without all the extra clothes?

Jul 19, 17 6:43 pm  · 
 · 

Archiwutm8 - too late. JLC-1 - pretty much. DC - she won't return my emails.

Jul 20, 17 10:27 am  · 
 · 

Just had a 15 minute chair massage at work thanks to our employee wellness program. Love my job.

Jul 20, 17 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

That's so much better than the 3-minute frottage at my job. Cheap bastards. =o/

Jul 20, 17 4:27 pm  · 
 · 

LOL! You're self-employed, citizen, right? Is this the lawn guy again? or was that David?

Jul 20, 17 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I have a multi-phase renovation project less than 2km from my house and I time my meetings so that I just go home afterwards instead of fighting traffic back downtown. Early thursday for me!

Jul 20, 17 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I've never had a massage in my life. Not sure I want to.

Jul 20, 17 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Am I losing my mind?  Or did the News post on the MAD-designed alien spacecraft auto dealership disappear? 

And if so...why did it disappear?

Jul 20, 17 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Erik, that item's migrated to the right in the News row, off the page.  You need to find the so-subtle-it's-nearly-invisible slide bar under that row to get to it.

Jul 20, 17 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

As to whether or not you're losing your mind... ;o]

Jul 20, 17 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

omg there's a slide bar. How have I never noticed this?

Jul 20, 17 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Sometimes that minimalist impulse can make things all but disappear.

Jul 20, 17 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

:)

Jul 20, 17 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

The real question is why anyone would want to find it again.

Jul 20, 17 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

I still don't see the post, and I don't see a scroll bar.

I'm using a Mac, and Firefox.  I have looked at the home page, and the Features and News pages. 

Jul 20, 17 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Thanks!   weird...

Jul 20, 17 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

I’m a bit disappointed by the lack of discussion about paint.

Jul 20, 17 10:39 pm  · 
 · 

re: paint

Maquette for a new sculpture. At full size the tray would be about 7' long.

Jul 21, 17 8:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I think you need new paint brushes.

Jul 21, 17 8:49 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

The paint brushes should be 9mm with bristles coming out the barrel... Ok maybe yours is more subtle

Jul 21, 17 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

Here's one you might like: http://www.milesjaffe.com/gunmetal-grey/

Jul 21, 17 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Yes... very nice.. did you use gun metal grey to paint it?

Jul 21, 17 10:15 pm  · 
 · 

One of the Rusto metallics, can't remember which one, there are quite a few.

Jul 21, 17 10:50 pm  · 
 · 

Don't care much for Serra. 

Jul 22, 17 8:28 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Im thinking of transitioning back into a design based role and moving out of construction BIM management.

I risk losing 30% of my pay, moving out of a enjoyable and relaxing office, 40hrs a week with no expectation of working extra and flexibility.

Is it worth it?

Jul 21, 17 8:46 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Why the apparent downgrade? Is see good CM roles as the most solid job security or career advancement path. Plenty of fresh grads can do design roles. Why regress if you can't carry over your past CM expertise?

Jul 21, 17 8:59 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Of course. Why would anyone want to stay in a job that paid more, required less work, and was an enjoyable environment?

Jul 26, 17 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

paint is labor intensive and easy to fuck up. Benjamin Moore sucks despite what all interior designers say and Sherwin Williams is great. New construction is significantly harder to cover than existing and while most interior paint is fairly easy to remove from nearby surfaces, I have yet to find a way to get it off my clothes....

Jul 21, 17 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Sherwin is the shit. I hate Benjamin Moore too but always thought I was alone in that regard.

Jul 21, 17 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

BM's website has sucked for a while now. I took them out of all of our specs as a result. If I can't find what I want on the site, you're not getting in my specs.

Jul 26, 17 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

You don't write too many papers in Arch school compared to other areas of study, but I wrote a 13 page paper on paint for some awful reason. 

Jul 21, 17 8:20 pm  · 
 · 

There is an absolutely wonderful book on painting by Baxandal titled 'Painting and Experience in 15th Century Italy'. 

Jul 21, 17 8:54 pm  · 
 · 

I just posted my new car on the Architects Drive? thread....

And David has wedding pics in another thread!

Jul 24, 17 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Does anyone here have a youtube channel where you provide information or showcase your work? I've noticed a lot of interior designers do this, they give their top five design mistakes or show you how to size your area rug or something. Could be fun. Have been thinking about it...

Jul 26, 17 10:30 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I should have known. Thanks.

Jul 26, 17 12:39 pm  · 
 · 

No one would watch my channel, unless they were trying to fall asleep.

Jul 26, 17 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I would watch it.

Jul 26, 17 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

Because of my blog/rants against NCARB? Not much value added to the profession there, even if there is an audience. Maybe I'm incorrectly assuming I'd need to add value to make it worthwhile.

Jul 26, 17 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

and the post naming names is gone, good.

Jul 26, 17 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The one about a certain firm who'se name sounds like a certain city in Colorado?

Jul 26, 17 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

right, it was too weird, especially if you looked at her past comments, very easy to identify.

Jul 26, 17 4:02 pm  · 
 · 

Damn, I always miss the good stuff.

Jul 26, 17 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I wonder if the poster asked it to be pulled, or if the Archinect gods made it so on their own.

Jul 26, 17 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

don't you all think that post was very close to libel?

Jul 26, 17 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Yes, and other must have, too.

Jul 26, 17 6:11 pm  · 
 · 

I missed it too!

Jul 26, 17 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It's more like something could have escalated but it was aborted before it got exciting.

Jul 26, 17 10:25 pm  · 
 · 

I look at things like the Furniture Design Company thread and wonder WTF is wrong with people that they go searching for life advice on the internet. 

It was all I could do not to comment there. 

Jul 27, 17 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Miles, important question for you because you see, I'm finished my beer, so what's the next one I should pour myself tonight to keep banging out these IFC docs?

Jul 27, 17 10:14 pm  · 
 · 

Tequila.

Jul 27, 17 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ha! I have a bottle of Patron Anejo in my bar... but this does not feel like a night I want to whip it out like that.

Jul 27, 17 10:31 pm  · 
 · 

tintt, I came across this youtube playlist from CSI yesterday. Made me think of your earlier question re: providing information via youtube channel. Probably not exactly what you were asking about, but nevertheless related.

If I had anything valuable to add to the profession via youtube channel it might eventually be something like this (probably not this early in my career though). I'd want to make it less 'powerpoint-y,' 'webinar-y,' and boring though (hence my earlier comment about falling asleep).

Jul 28, 17 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

That's great. Something to fall asleep to...

Jul 28, 17 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Listening to one now. Planning up front saves money later somethings something. I know this... if only other people actually believed this... 

That's what I'm getting at though. Doing a non-boring version of this.

Jul 28, 17 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

They have other playlists as well. This one is specific to specifying where the other is specific to contract administration. Still boring, though the titles are a little more creative (eg. "O, the Dreadful Wind and Rain")

Jul 28, 17 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

compare that one to "Meetings: Part 2" ... where do I sign up!?

Jul 28, 17 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

WHEW, I've been trying to post for months and I just finally got my password to be properly reset!  Thank goodness.  I'm sure you've all missed my incredibly memorable commentary.  And now I've been gone so long I don't recognize many of you (although I'm so glad to see TC appears to have recovered from its rock-and-hill/Rick-induced doldrums!)  I date from the days before Donna changed her screenname, in the time of the garwondler, if that rings a bell to anyone.  

Anyhow -- hope everyone is happy and well. I'm currently trying desperately to keep my head above water... anyone else swamped?  I worry that we're ramping up another bubble.... not sure if that's just my built-in pessimism protector engendered by living through 2 previous recessions, though.

Jul 31, 17 8:59 am  · 
 · 
mantaray
FYI Josh Mings: I sent you a PM. Thx-
Jul 31, 17 10:59 am  · 
 · 

Just got it! Went to my junk folder for some reason. Since I'm out sick today (side note: this was a bad weekend to be stuck inside) expect a response soon-ish.

Jul 31, 17 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray
Thanks Josh! (I don't know how to thread responses on my phone.)
Jul 31, 17 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray
Also, I hope you feel better! Summer sickness is the worst sickness.
Jul 31, 17 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

Hi mantaray. How's the babe?!

I got home from work and my baby (14yo) had just turned on Samantha Bee. So I sat down with him and joined him in eating a bag of chips with salsa and queso - his "afternoon snack" turned into my dinner. I swear the thought of dinner now, two hours later, makes me queazy. So I'm drinking a bourbon while he eats a real dinner. 

It's like at some point the parent can start to be a teenager again, too.  Well, a teenager plus bourbon.

Jul 31, 17 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

OMG he's 14 now?!?! ahhhhhh! Mine is nearly 3 and doing wonderfully, thank you :-) Part of me can't WAIT for the day when I can share Samantha Bee with her (not to mention Ramona, Narnia, Enid Blyton, etc etc) and part of me wants her to never ever ever change from how she is exactly TODAY! She is hilarious. She does show a worrisome tendency toward patterns, puzzles, and legos however. Is yours seemingly heading toward a career in art/arch?

Jul 31, 17 10:45 pm  · 
 · 

A couple of years you'll be having Bourbon together. 

Jul 31, 17 9:31 pm  · 
 · 

I'm really looking forward to that! But my husband doesn't drink, and I'd say there's a 50% chance that Angus will take after him.

Jul 31, 17 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

http://www.freep.com/story/new...

Nice story about our pediatrician above.  He's a super interesting guy.  when we first met he saw the baby name "carrigan" and immediately starting telling us about Wrong Way Corrigan, a pre-ww2 pilot.

Aug 1, 17 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

I just posted my first forum post under this username and archinect staff is reviewing it since it is my first post. Anyone know if they are actually checking post content (and maybe suggesting a search), or if it is just to prevent spam?

Aug 1, 17 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

14679 my post total. still the leader.

Aug 7, 17 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

That's your comment total, your post total is only 106. Ironically, I had already posted on my archinect blog, so the review is only for first posts to the forums.

Aug 8, 17 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

It's August, Non must be on holiday.

Aug 2, 17 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

checkin in on work emails. Whats going on here?

Aug 3, 17 11:40 am  · 
 · 

Some asshole broke the star ornament off my old Mercedes. WTF

Aug 3, 17 11:59 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

the kind you pull off?

Aug 3, 17 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

Three-pointed star on top of grill. Looks like a gunsight. On a swivel but firmly attached. Or was, snapped it right off.

Aug 3, 17 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

where's rick?

Aug 4, 17 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

just responded to an ad on craigslist for someone who wants to add a bathroom to their business.  It's the usual craigslist type job, the drafting is supposedly complete, they just need someone to stamp the set for the building dept.  After sending the email I noticed the compensation, $200! 

Had a pretty good laugh at the desk here

Aug 4, 17 12:56 pm  · 
 · 

Hell that doesn't even cover liability insurance.

Aug 4, 17 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Likely as not, you'll be pulling teeth to get paid even that amount. "Gee, you want me to pay you $200 for 15 seconds of work?"

Aug 4, 17 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

Get a bunch of friends to flood their inbox with proposals allocating time to site visits, reviewing the current design for code compliance and construct-ability, meeting with code officials, inevitable redesign based on those meetings, full CA scope of work, etc. all based on $200 hourly rate. Maybe then they'll start to get the picture?

Aug 4, 17 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Stay off of craigslist. nothing but trouble there.

Aug 4, 17 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

you're probably right

I've never actually gotten any work this way, the drafter never does more than half the job and no one wants to pay me to finish it.  I also have never asked for less than $1,000. 

Since its all "extra" i'm not really inclined to stay up late or work through the weekend for a super low fee.

Aug 4, 17 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Like I said, Friday.

Aug 4, 17 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

that's great! i'll say this for the kid, his aim is fucking dead on.

Aug 4, 17 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I like the dude with the beer at :33

Aug 4, 17 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

The last clip (9:10-ish) with the power trowel floors me everytime I watch it. The commentary from the guys filming is everything.

Aug 4, 17 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

I liked the bit at 5:05 with the genius pulling a nail. Brilliant.

Aug 4, 17 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Just stamp it! These architects so stingy with their stamps!

The ignorance is kind of incredible, but I suppose that's part of job, to educate them in that there's more involved than a stamp?

I had to explain this to a freshly graduated soul. His mind was blown when I mentioned liability...what do they teach these kids...
Aug 6, 17 11:00 am  · 
 · 
archinine
I never I understood why professional practice isn't taught first semester. It always seems to be situated at the tail end as an afterthought. As if money and legality are side notes while one operates under capitalism. But here I am, practicing, with no interest in academia whatsoever.
Aug 6, 17 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I can't figure why this is an either/or issue.

Aug 6, 17 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Who the fuck is Rick? He sounds important. And has been mentioned across the board.

Also, how do I get banned from this place? I used to terrorize this place like 6 years ago. If not for occasional inquiries for spec work, I would have completely forgotten this place even exists. But then out of the blue I started receiving emails about new comments on Thread Central.

Aug 6, 17 10:53 pm  · 
 · 

Should take care of both your questions

Aug 7, 17 12:17 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

did something happen to the Astoria theater thread? that had me checking architect several times a day

Aug 7, 17 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

Isn't this the same one? About 4 or 5 pages in it becomes all about the theater.

Aug 7, 17 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

my mistake, best thread ever

Aug 7, 17 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

Oh that Astoria theater thread. Such great times.

Aug 7, 17 2:20 pm  · 
 · 

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do Rick.

Aug 7, 17 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

Rusty! gave a shit ... that's why Rusty! asked who you are. Anyway, Rusty! meet Rick. Rick meet Rusty! Rick, you might consider filling Rusty! in on how it was that you got banned (really more of a suspension because here you are).

Aug 8, 17 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
I meant because the people that know this from practicing rarely get into academia thus do not change pedagogy to prepare students for practice. And the people in academia have their heads up their a**es/have usually never practiced so they focus solely on the fluffy design-is-above-all-else stuff. They can't explain licensure - either how to achieve it or why it matters etc - because they've never tried or accomplished it. That isn't unilaterally true but majorly it seems to be the case.
Aug 6, 17 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Hahaha, sounds like your PhD proposal was rejected.

Aug 7, 17 2:21 am  · 
 · 

just going to put this here...

Aug 8, 17 10:14 am  · 
 · 

U.G.L.Y. It ain't got no alibi.

Aug 8, 17 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

The new Orange County Government Building, the earlier Paul Rudolph project is to the right in the 1st picture.

Aug 8, 17 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Is the blue the final product... not just a shit-tonne of blueskin?

Aug 9, 17 8:43 am  · 
 · 

I think the grey is the finished product.

Aug 9, 17 10:10 am  · 
 · 
mantaray
I am now at a point in my career where I am getting passed up for promotions by younger folks while management dangles a series of carrots in front of me to keep me minimally satisfied enough to stay in my seat and keep my head down. Carrots have unsurprisingly failed to materialize and now I am left trying to figure out whether to leave a job I almost totally enjoy or to stay and accept that I'm just never going to be in upper-middle management (am already in middle-middle management. There is no upper-upper management as that position is taken by owners who will never promote to their equal.) le sigh. And to head off the inevitable doubters let me assure you I am fully qualified and have already been praised by said bosses for being a natural leader in the firm. All reviews are glowing and assure me over and over that there is nothing I need to improve on, and that the promotions going on around me are just fake in-name-only promotions and I shouldn't worry about them, I'm doing a great job and they're very happy with me. Then I asked for a 3rd wk of vacation (6 months ahead of schedule) and was told, to my face, that I was being "off-putting" to ask and that there was no way I would get this. I have ~15 yrs exp. btw and would this already at any other decent firm in my city. Ugh. I have apparently failed at the office politics game and I'm not sure what to do about it. Anyway... just thought I'd share, I guess. Any advice from other old-timers?
Aug 8, 17 11:49 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Leave, you're being exploited. I don't know about others but if I asked for a three week holiday, I would get it.

Aug 8, 17 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

how about advice from newbies instead? I wouldn't get too upset about the week of vacation if you will have it shortly anyway.  To me the real test would be if these other promotions materialize into something or if they really are only a change in title with no change in responsibility.

Aug 8, 17 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

This is one of the things I'm afraid of a bit further down the road. Also - if they think it is "off-putting" to ask, then they know they aren't giving you what you deserve. To me that is far worse than ever being "off-putting". You already know some of my other thoughts on the subject, so I won't mention them here.

Aug 8, 17 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

I agree - leave. The market is too good right now for you to work for people who find your desire to be appreciated "off-putting". Jesus.

Aug 8, 17 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

Advice from another newbie ... generally, I agree with the others. In this market, if you aren't happy, and the firm isn't trying to make you happy, you're probably better off somewhere else. It's easier to negotiate what you want at the beginning than it is to negotiate it later. 

Related discussion though, are you happy being middle-middle management? Do you need to be upper-middle management to be happy? You say you almost totally enjoy the job so weigh your options and see if the things you don't enjoy will be better somewhere else, or if they are things you can live with. I see a lot of people leave to find another job and then realize it isn't that much better somewhere else. Some have boomeranged their way back and negotiated better compensation/benefits so there is always that if you want to take that chance.

Aug 8, 17 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I think you hit it on the head, Everyday Architect... I WAS happy, UNTIL the firm re-organization which came out of the blue and left me feeling very side-lined in an organization in which I previously had held a very central part. In a weird way it feels a little like being dumped: you find out that what you THOUGHT you had, basically was a lie, and from one day to the next you're suddenly unhappy and there doesn't seem to be anything you can do about it.

Aug 9, 17 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Whoops didn't realize "enter" = submit now. How do you make spaces between paragraphs?!! Anyway -- you're absolutely right in that ultimately I need to decide if I'm ok with just keeping on at my same level, letting others take leadership roles (and the corrollary: I now have to submit to more leadership roles OVER me, which is probably the hardest part for me personally), and having little say in the running of the firm (scratch that: THIS is the hardest part for me). Versus: jumping to something else and potentially giving up the things I do enjoy here (design control, basically zero oversight/micromanagement, total client contact, excellent colleagues who are, to a person, friendly, funny and good workers, and 40-45 hour consistent work-weeks with zero pressure to exceed that. Argh. I think the answer is to start cautiously interviewing and see if the grass appears any greener elsewhere. It's just a bummer that I feel like I need to leave a firm I hadn't intended to... blargh.

Aug 9, 17 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Thanks Josh -- "Also - if they think it is "off-putting" to ask, then they know they aren't giving you what you deserve. " 

I didn't even think of that.  Excellent point!  It's a defensive posture, isn't it?  Interestingly, they DID negotiate with another person during their review on salary, and were perfectly fine to do so.  As it turns out, several other folks in the firm have gotten their 3rd week of vacation 1yr in advance (!).  I think you're probably right: for whatever reason, they have no intention of increasing my pay/benefits package in any way whatsoever, and essentially insulted me as a deflective measure.  Great.  Not a wonderful feeling to have.  They repeated the "off-putting" comment twice in the review, btw.  In case I thought I had mis-heard the first time...

Aug 9, 17 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

They are telling you that you shouldn't worry because they are bullshitting the other folks with bogus "promotions", which brings up the question of how much you can trust them when they tell you they like your work. Nice folks.

Aug 13, 17 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

One line from A Prayer For Owen Meany that always stuck with me is when Owen writes a letter home from Phoenix and says "Do you know what coyotes' favorite snack is? Housecats!" 

I never lost my cat to a coyote, but I lost three pet bunnies, all from an outdoor hutch.

Aug 8, 17 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Great book!

Aug 8, 17 11:01 pm  · 
 · 

Here in the great Pacific Northwest, I occasionally hear about cats and small dogs being snatched up by bald eagles. Something to keep in mind before I let Louie out onto the balcony.

Aug 8, 17 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

How are those fires going? Smoke got all the way down here to the high rockies

Aug 8, 17 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

we got a nest of bald eagles just down the street. impressive as hell.

Aug 9, 17 8:15 pm  · 
 · 

Still smoky as hell here. We've inhaled so much of British Columbia that we should be eligible for Canadian healthcare coverage. It's supposed to clear out by Friday or so.

Aug 10, 17 1:29 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Glad to know there is an environmentally friendly way to solve the problem of cats.

Aug 11, 17 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

glen campell's music was familiar in a distant dreamlike way for me. Not a huge fan, but when I learned about his battle with alzheimer's and his insistence to continue touring all the while forgetting lyrics and chords, I found it truly inspiring. Amazing guitar player...

Aug 9, 17 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Not Gonna Miss You, gets me everytime

Aug 9, 17 6:13 pm  · 
 · 

I think if you say "Wichita Lineman" three times here vado retro will show up...

Aug 9, 17 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Wichita Lineman IS the best song ever written.

Aug 10, 17 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

vado someone online recently suggested to Ike Reilly that he should cover The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald which is a terrible, sappy, maudlin, and lethargically murderous song but if Ike covered it I would prolly love.

Aug 10, 17 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Well Paul Weller covered Early Mornin' Rain.

Aug 10, 17 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

you think this civil/criminal lawsuit will involve the very much licensed architect of the parking garage?

wow, just wow....

https://www.apnews.com/e133ffa...

Aug 11, 17 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

watch the video lz-boy

Aug 11, 17 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"Last September, a sport utility vehicle plunged from the ninth floor of the same parking garage." ...sounds like a potential design flaw.

Aug 11, 17 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Rick, the article mentions cable barriers, I've seen them attached to the side walls, no need for speed if you press a 2000 lbs car against.

Aug 12, 17 11:15 am  · 
 · 

Edited b/c I'm mad. And need to just breathe deep.   Grrrrrrr.

Aug 13, 17 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

Hi.

I want to scream at a precaster right now.

Bye.

Aug 14, 17 4:04 pm  · 
 · 

"You have to cast the words *backwards* so that when you take it out of the form the words read *FORWARDS*!!!! Argh!!!"

Aug 14, 17 5:05 pm  · 
 · 

I actually kind of wish it was that, since that would be a simple reject and redo the work.

Aug 14, 17 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

How do you do fellow kids? I'm pounding my head on a ceiling and can't break through.

Aug 16, 17 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

what's a fellow kid?

Aug 16, 17 4:36 pm  · 
 · 

No clue.

Aug 16, 17 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

Aug 16, 17 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
Alt+F4

this

Oct 13, 17 8:18 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

AltF4, why the resurrection?

Oct 13, 17 8:27 am  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier
I am the G.O.A.T. But seriously, kind of realized today that I'm a bit stuck where I'm at, like a mountain goat stuck on a rock ledge.
Aug 16, 17 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

G'd afternoon (probably) to all.

I had the opportunity to quite literally crucify a junior project coordinator today and decided to hold off and inform this individual privately in order not to embarrass them. This person then retracted a particular damning life-safety statement without the need for a lengthy, but correct, counter point. Now no-one's weekend is ruined and I get to keep working on design stuff instead of CA bullshit.

Fuzzy feelings to everyone!

Aug 18, 17 1:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: