Archinect
anchor

How to describe our home?

asherman

My husband and I are looking to update the exterior of our home and have been looking online for inspiration.  The most difficult thing I have run into is not being able to find much of anything that looks like our home.  I also have no idea how to describe it.  Please help!

Jan 9, 18 12:14 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 18 Comments

Featured Comment
Non Sequitur

then don't.  Too many people incorrectly focus on style names instead of actually what looks good. God I hate fashion, makes people dumb.

Hire a local architect, they will be able to answer your questions.  

Jan 9, 18 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

this is cruelty. 

Jan 9, 18 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Have you tried burning it? Charred wood is really on-trend :)

Jan 9, 18 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

What they are trying to say is design is about identifying problems and solving them, not about applying stylistic touches. This forum isn't a good place for homeowners to solicit ideas for their homes. Try Houzz or pinterest for ideas or look for a local architect, there is a good chance they will do an initial consult for no charge. 

Jan 9, 18 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
asherman

I was specifically looking for the "type" of house it would be classified as.  There are a lot of homes in our city that have this general aesthetic, but it doesn't seem to fit into a category that I can find.  We are just looking to do some work ourselves for the time being (paint, landscaping, trim, etc)

Jan 9, 18 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

it's because there are no types or categories when it comes to mundane suburban houses. Architectural periods are reserved for significant structures with historical importance. Yours is just one of millions of easily forgettable mass produced homes scattered across the US. Don't look for something that does not exist.

Jan 9, 18 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Ah, you're the realtor trying to find out how to market it ;)

Jan 9, 18 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

NonS is right.  Stop fixating on a stylistic label (that probably doesn't exist anyway), and instead search for images of stuff you like.  Then, hire a local architect.

Jan 9, 18 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Unless randomised is right and you're a realtor trying to get free information. Then, by all means, spend countless hours online until you find the perfect descriptor. Otherwise, see NonS's first comment.

Jan 9, 18 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

sometimes I just give away the golden ticket without trying.

Jan 9, 18 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Looks like a ranch house to me. Is there a basement or some sort of camouflaged 2nd floor we aren't seeing?

Jan 9, 18 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Post-War Hipped Ranch, with 1980s Alpine Gnome Influences.

Jan 9, 18 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I'd substitute "phony-colonial" for "hipped," but otherwise you nailed it.

Jan 9, 18 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

You got yourself a genuine mid-century assembly line right there.

Jan 9, 18 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

It looks like someone started a house, then said screw it and attached two double wides to each end.. Then at a later date, someone else bought the house and said what a horrid little home.  I know, I'll put a porch on it with some columns and that'll fix it.

Jan 9, 18 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Hey, you don't have money to do a proper column?  Just use a 4x4.  If you paint it white, it'll match the gutters.

Jan 9, 18 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey, I'm a featured comment on this post.  Hurrah for me, everyone to the bar.

Jan 9, 18 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

That means you're buying! ;o]

Jan 9, 18 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

hey, if you know where I live, come'on over!

Jan 9, 18 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Montreal

Jan 9, 18 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Not Montreal. Although it is a damn cool place to grab a few pints, it’s still unfortunately part of Quebec. Outside of beer, I try to distance myself from that place.

Jan 9, 18 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Here is a start for your entryway. Yours has a 90 degree included angle which is much to sharp for the length of the home. You also seem to have a very nice lot and the garage is at the rear?

Jan 9, 18 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Don't listen to these haters.... stylistically speaking it would be somewhere between the god awful movement started by the rankhaus in the late 60s and the I-wanna-be-a-slope-side-A-Frame as designed by Warren Miller. An old ski chair lift as a front porch swing and some used skis for a picket fence would be a great start. Good luck!

Jan 9, 18 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Who cares

Jan 9, 18 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

And we wonder why the general public doesn't hold architects in very high esteem ....

Jan 9, 18 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

They started it.

Jan 9, 18 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

single story, hip roof with gable entry.  2,000sf.  a bit on the yellow side.

Jan 9, 18 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Still call bullshit! Who uses google street view when wanting to find out more about their own home? Don't you just walk outside and take a snapshot, maybe add some picture of a funny detail to it while you're at it?

Jan 11, 18 3:32 am  · 
 · 
randomised

It's way more complicated to go to google street view, find your home, take a screenshot, save that screenshot on your computer, crop it nicely and upload it here than to walk outside and take a picture. Unless these people don't even live there, and want to purchase it and need some info or if they are a realtor sitting behind a desk somewhere and need that info to come up with a sales pitch. The fact they didn't respond yet speaks volumes...but what do I care. Sorry for bumping the thread, was bored I guess.

Jan 11, 18 6:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: