Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

No unfortunately that isn't enough. People want to work with people they like and get along with. They don't want to avoid someone constantly.

I've been working on this lately too. I ignored the social parts of architecture for so long and it's been biting me on the ass lately as far as my management of staff goes.
Sep 29, 16 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

Being able to get along with your co-workers reasonably well should be a given, but too often I've seen people get dismissed by management for being too "negative" for merely voicing some concern about their job or suggesting a way for the company to improve. It's a fine line, I guess, but the best workplaces I've experienced are those where constructive criticism is taken seriously, rather than everybody being forced to put on a veneer of phony cheerfulness and not rock the boat.

Sep 29, 16 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

I think the social aspect of office drinks as it swells out of the pub culture here has been my favourite part of living in Britain. Any weekday the pubs in central London will literally spill out into the streets all around, without any ridiculous/aggressive shenanigans. I've found it to be the best way to get to know my coworkers, particularly the senior principles/etc. Its practically encouraged by many of the managers to head over to the pub for a pint and a chat; I think we single-handedly keep the joint around the corner alive. Hard on the wallet though (and the belly...)

Edit: and what-ho - just found out I'll be going to my first NFL game this weekend at Wembley!

Sep 29, 16 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

what's a good reason you would use ul466 over ul420?  466 has an extra layer of sheet rock.  does that have significantly better acoustic performance or something?

Sep 29, 16 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

who is in the London NFL game this weekend?

Sep 29, 16 8:13 pm  · 
 · 

Two recent job postings from Beame Architectural Partnership; one for an "Architectural Intern," the other for a "Project Architect." Let's hope this is just an oversight, and both positions are paid, but take a guess at which one includes the statement, "Beame Architectural Partnership offers an extensive benefit package.  Salary is commensurate with qualifications."

The other makes no mention of salary, or benefits, or compensation except for "This is an excellent opportunity for advancement."

Sep 30, 16 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

are these wankers known for not paying interns?

Sep 30, 16 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Found this somewhere, thought it wuold be interesting for the naysayers

https://youtu.be/rYwI6wHcRVc

Sep 30, 16 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

Not that I know of Non. I just noticed the different postings. Never heard of the firm before.

I like looking at these things every once in a while just to see what the job postings are like. I can almost always find a mistake somewhere (I'm not necessarily saying the lack of information on compensation is, or is not, a mistake). I like to point out the mistakes though because we've all heard (and probably believe) that if an employer can find any mistakes in your portfolio or cover letter, your application is sure to be rejected. Maybe some of us have rejected people based on mistakes in their application materials. Yet the same standard does not seem to apply to employers when crafting their job postings.

Note that the Intern job posting also contains the following (emphasis mine): "We are seeking a talented and motivated architect to participate in creating great places, and growing with us." I would classify this as a mistake. Obviously, intern architect does not equal architect.

Sep 30, 16 6:26 pm  · 
 · 

Another example from Bespoke: Project Architect - CA. I don't think this one is a mistake per se, but it is misleading. Based on the title, you'd expect that they are looking for a Project Architect either licensed in California (CA), or perhaps for a California office (from what I can tell Bespoke isn't an architectural firm, but rather a recruitment agency so either of these options makes sense). But reading the post, I suspect they are looking for a Project Architect with experience in contract administration (CA). Note that the last statement in the posting is looking for an architect licensed in New York (but it says nothing of where the job is located).

Sep 30, 16 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Fuckin Amazing...

Sep 30, 16 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Great video JLC-1

Sep 30, 16 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

@Olaf

Pick it up and run with it.

Sep 30, 16 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

haha Sam...the perverted version of Rugby

Sep 30, 16 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

i feel like trafffic is slow here.......archinect drop your richard balkins...you kids try...but what is it when it ain't shit?????

Oct 1, 16 1:26 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

hey paul, we have any real fans?

Oct 1, 16 2:16 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

get a job - olaf

Oct 1, 16 10:08 am  · 
 · 

I've spent the last 56 hours completely immersed in Exhibit Columbus' inaugural symposium Foundations and Futures 2016. I live-tweeted it for Archinect. So I've been too busy to be posting here, but you all should check out the twitter feed and other press coverage. It was an incredible event.

Ten young-ish architecture firms are competing to do an installation on five sites in Columbus next summer for the inaugural Miller Prize. All of those firms were there, as well as Deborah Berke and Robert AM Stern (who I have some things to say about), and giants of future manufacturing including Bill Zahner and Bill Kreysler (Kreysler blew me away and has me suddenly believing in composites as the future...).

It was freaking awesome and I have so much to say about it.

Oct 2, 16 11:29 am  · 
 · 
Kreysler is doing some really cool stuff.
Oct 2, 16 11:58 am  · 
 · 
situationist

FRP on high rise - exciting stuff.

Oct 2, 16 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

A few pics from my hike in the North Cascades on Saturday. I need much more of this in my life.

Full photo album here.

Oct 2, 16 9:40 pm  · 
 · 

You guys know I'm a big fan of AIA but dammit. Every single time I try to use their online interface for anything at all I end up in a feedback loop of clicking something that takes me to a place that tells me to click to get more info that takes me back to the same damn page I was just on. We have the WORST technological interface I've ever seen and it's consistently awful across every single online platform related to AIA. GRRRR.

Oct 3, 16 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Donna-agree. It's horrid. I have the same problem.
Oct 3, 16 7:29 pm  · 
 · 

Perhaps it's my own technological illiteracy, gruen, but I doubt it.

That said, is there a way to stop following someone on twitter without them knowing it? I have a non-architecture friend I follow and during this campaign season I don't want to see their posts. But I don't want them to know I stopped following them, because it seems rude and I don't want to hurt their feelings.

Oct 3, 16 8:02 pm  · 
 · 

Depending on the client you use, you can mute somebody for a certain period of time or indefinitely. I use Tweetbot on both my Mac and iPhone, and it gives me the option of muting people for 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, or forever. I don't think Twitter's web interface offers any kind of muting option, though.

The AIA website is dated as hell, but the new pilot version looks promising, at least visually. I'm not sure if the improvements will extend to the CEU tracking system, though, which is the part I usually interface with the most.

Oct 3, 16 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

OMG the stereotype is true: code official/plan reviewers are amongst the dumbest humans on the planet. I'm having to go through 14 points the code official found and explain why only two of them even apply to my project AT ALL. This is costing my client a lot of money!

Oct 3, 16 10:04 pm  · 
 · 

I'm having a bad night.

Oct 3, 16 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

I just had to apply for a permit to get a permit to get a permit... That's genius!

Oct 3, 16 11:07 pm  · 
 · 

David, those pictures look awesome.

I just got back from my vacation and had way too many emails.

Oct 4, 16 11:02 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

little story I've been wanting to tell for awhile...

About a month ago I decided that i needed to replace the falling apart duct tape that wraps my ducts with the metal stuff.  So I go to the first run, notice that is sags quite a bit at one point, push it up and start tearing off the old stuff.

as soon as my face is nearby, sparks shoot everywhere, i jump/fall off the ladder and start yelling for a fire extinguisher as I see flames from behind the duct.

By the time I found an extinguisher the fire had gone out, turns out there was a junction box right above the duct for our electric dryer, 220 v, with no cover on it.  all the wires were taped like crazy except for the hot incoming one.  So i when shorted it out with the galv. mtl. duct, it burned a hole through the duct, and the burning was the wad of electrical tape inside the box.  

Rest of the project went smoothly, but fixing that took most of the morning.  

A great example of idiot homeowners and why we have building inspectors.

Oct 4, 16 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Except building inspectors take no liability for that if they miss it. I pay for a third party inspection on critical items during construction and those inspections are way less than the building permit. They are typically way more exhaustive and the companies I hire carry insurance to put their money were their mouth is. Municipal building inspectors provide very little value in my opinion. Maybe on jobs were homeowners are the GC but once you hit a certain dollar value, most are clueless.

Oct 4, 16 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i usually just wrap everything in duct tape at home, and hope it doesn't become a problem until i move out.  just like the people who lived in my house before me, and the people before them....

(p.s., that's only mostly true)

Oct 4, 16 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

That website thread got deleted before I could use this...

Oct 4, 16 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

T'is too bad.

I found most of the comments about MyDream's site to be constructive.

Oct 4, 16 4:36 pm  · 
 · 

Tonight I will drink and draft, and drink and draft, and drink and draft.

Oct 4, 16 7:43 pm  · 
 · 

Damn, did I miss another dumpster fire?

Oct 4, 16 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Why was it deleted? Writing was rough but ive seen far worse renderings

Oct 4, 16 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Not sure why.
The site had very bad layout and used stock images instead of real work in many places, but I am sure the op could have salvaged it by trimming all the fat and glitter.
Oct 4, 16 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I admire the young person, ambitious, entrepreneurial spirit, but this is a process, a long slog. If you don't have the work, any work really, then no one is going to give you work, because you post a website. If it were only that easy.

Do the work, go after the clients, don't pay a finders fee, and when you get the client, then pay someone skilled in web-design to make you a web-site that resembles something from this century, and not AOL, circa 1991.

Oct 4, 16 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I read this on dezeen and find it humorous. "The real problem with the housing crisis is that architects still don't understand how people live. I would even argue that they don't WANT to understand because then they wouldn't be able to make their wavy-baby-pointy architecture."

Oct 5, 16 2:17 am  · 
 · 

I'm on vacation with my family in Arizona. Holy hell did I need this break, even just for four days.  I'm facing some cataclysmic upheaval in my life so these four days are a reset button. When I get back things will be different! (I wonder if my boss reads Archinect?!)

Oct 6, 16 10:34 am  · 
 · 

Cataclysmic upheaval here (this is only a placeholder page for the moment): Ignition Arts

Oct 6, 16 10:38 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Interesting, Donna! I suspect I can guess who that website might link you together with?

(Also, did you get my email?)

Oct 7, 16 9:06 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I like how that 3-line button changes the page colours from blue to gray.

Oct 7, 16 9:43 am  · 
 · 

Sorry, manta, yes I did get your email but have been charetting! Will respond when I get back from break.

Oct 7, 16 10:12 am  · 
 · 

Also, today I'm headed to tour Biosphere 2. It's surprising to me - and embarrassing - that Ive never been before.

Oct 7, 16 10:13 am  · 
 · 

Donna, call Pauly Shore and recreate Biodome!

Oct 7, 16 10:52 am  · 
 · 

Is TC dying without Balkins here?

So this morning on my way to work some drunk guy was casually strolling down California here in Chicago ignoring all the cars going by. I honk, give the "what the hell are you thinking shrug" and he starts going off on me (my windows are down). I casually mention he's walking in the street in front of cars and he proceeds to call me a f*****g fat ass. Thanks for ruining my day, drunk guy.

Why is it that this society puts so much onto the way we look and a number on the scale instead of our abilities and the content of our characters? I'm assuming this answer goes hand in hand with the rise of Trump.

Oct 12, 16 11:26 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

You could also try to analyze why you put so much importance on the ramblings of a drunkard trotting about in the middle of the street that it ruined your day.  Long ago I subscribed to the IDGAF method and it changed my life...  I guess if your life goal is to be like that man his put-down may hold some wait, otherwise, forget him...

Oct 12, 16 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Uber is finally legal in my area so I'm using it for the first time to head to a site visit. Round trip cost less than parking my car at the office.
Oct 12, 16 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: