Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Non Sequitur
Uber is finally legal in my area so I'm using it for the first time to head to a site visit. Round trip cost less than parking my car at the office.
Oct 12, 16 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

Maybe, just maybe it had a negative impact as I've heard it for a good 20+ years now. It's apparently a socially acceptable form of bullying as no one gives two shits if someone calls another person fat. Seriously, I get it. I'm a bigger guy. The people in my life see past it, but most of society doesn't. A date cancelled a second date because her friends thought she shouldn't date a fat guy. So it's one of those things that is constantly reinforced. The drunk guy? I don't give two shits about the guy. He's drunk at 8:30 in the morning and walking down the middle of the road. Clearly he has his life together. However, every time something like this occurs, all the times that it has come up for many years well up as well. It's deflating, especially after you regained 70 lbs that you worked so hard to lose.

End rant, need a drink.

Oct 12, 16 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"The drunk guy? I don't give two shits about the guy. He's drunk at 8:30 in the morning and walking down the middle of the road. Clearly he has his life together."

Josh, extra internet points for this savvy observation. 

Oct 12, 16 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

Josh, in some ways, it's a lot more boring around here now that the troll has been banished.  but overall, the quality is back up and the threads more civil and informative.  feel like i'm back to learning from members instead of suffering through dumpster fires.  although i would like to know more about what happened to the theater.  

Oct 12, 16 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Long ago I subscribed to the IDGAF method and it changed my life...  

I think this comes with age and perspective.  I'm much more IDGAF now than I was in my 30s.  It can be liberating once you put off all the mores and shackles, but it takes time some conventions are easier put reconcile than others.

Oct 12, 16 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

The dream is long dead in San Francisco...

Wealthy San Francisco tech investors bankroll bid to ban homeless camps

It's a discussion that within the framework of today's United States, and any other CAPITALIST country, will not lead to any outcome that's good for the homeless.  With the wealth generated in that area I cannot understand how they cannot "innovate" there in regards to this issue, especially with all those "disruptors" and whatnot.  This proposition only goes to show that wealth and success only lead to people bereft of empathy and compassion.  There are outliers of course, but there are far more Trump types and the Gates' and Buffett's of the world.

Oct 12, 16 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

sorry Josh I was having a rough morning. drunk guy at 830am. i have been called the devil before, white devil.........mr wiggin based on clientele the shittiest least respecting clients all supposed "disruptors" type (except a few) ruthless assholes.

Oct 12, 16 5:15 pm  · 
 · 

Haha. Olaf, why did you change your name?

Oct 12, 16 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

i feel like that drunk guy yelling - daily. need to win the lottery or become a librarian.

Oct 12, 16 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Spent a couple days in Seattle last week-first time since I lived there years ago. So many more homeless, and so many more shiny new apartment/condo buildings. Something needs to change.
Oct 12, 16 10:55 pm  · 
 · 

standard responses to these "feel good" moments-

-architecture can't solve social problems

-architecture requires capital

Oct 12, 16 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Capital you say?

LINK>  Has Vancouver found the solution to a super-heated housing market?

By no means a solution, but a start.  Never gonna happen in the US...

Oct 13, 16 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks Mr_Wiggin,

I never said I support these argument, I'm only trying to stir the nest up a little. And you are correct, that won't happen for some time in the US. 

Oct 13, 16 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

No worries, you always bring substance to any discussion here.

Another great article in The Guardian today, I feel it has some merit in regards to another thread here on archinect...

LINK>  Dangerous Idiots:  How the liberal media elite failed working-class Americans

Oct 13, 16 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

I just went to a lecture then an event dinner (40 people) with Reed Kroloff, organized by Shelley Selim, our new curator of design at the IMA. Oh my god. These two together are SO funny and smart and delightful; I want to be their besties and just walk around together looking at buildings and drinking wine!

I did ask Reed if he had any thoughts on the current housing situation and the reverse migration that is forcing lower income people out of the cities; he offered Toronto as a good example of a city dealing with that problem very well. I'm going to have to dig into it a little more.

Oct 13, 16 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Donna, how is Toronto dealing exactly? Houses are so unaffordable there for most working class that most had no choice but to commute 2hours or more via major highway twice a day because the only housing stock available for purchase are in other cities.
Oct 13, 16 11:13 pm  · 
 · 

Reed said that they have much higher - and unavoidable - requirements for a percentage of units built to be affordable, but the percentage is not a city-wide allotment; it varies depending what the existing makeup of the neighborhood is. So it's zoning on a much more customized, specific basis than many cities tend to do. We did not get into the issue of whether is rentable or owner-occupied units, but it sounds like it's mostly rentals.

Oct 13, 16 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
A combination of zoning, code, and architecture could solve some problems .
Oct 14, 16 12:03 am  · 
 · 

I am curious as NS.

This summer, I had a rather "excited" conversation with people in Hamilton who weren't to pleased with property values and had to move back home. At the other end of the room, their HS friends were ranting about how the proposed GO station would destroy their neighborhood and raise property values. And $25 flat rate parking on the water front near the dome isn't affordable. If it's not the rent that is too dam 

Mr_Wiggin, interesting article. I'd say that it's the mindsets that are the problem, "the media" is only an expression of the blinders on ether side of that fence (but I'm not discussing politics).

Oct 14, 16 12:04 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Donna, I can't say I've heard of Toronto or the GTA having such a strategy. But, I'll dig around, chances are your source is smarter than me anyways.

What I do know, and perhaps falls in line with the subject, is montreal's 2025 initiative. About 10 years ago, they surveyed all empty buildings within the urban core and set up rules and zones for development which included, but not limited to, a minimum low income housing stock. They also added a minimum % of existing fabric to remain, but that's seperate. I'm not sure how they are doing but every time I've been (1 or 2 per year), There is big change. Surely there are similar examples south of the (still wall-free) border.

Also, Internet points for me for actually finding a use for my graduate research.
Oct 14, 16 7:46 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

As a follow, Donna, below are some neat Toronto studies and initiatives. I was unaware of these but your comment got me wondering if there was something happening just outside my back yard that I was oblivious to.  I normally don't learn things on friday mornings.

Planning for Children in Vertical Communities

Healthy Neighbourhoods

Housing Policies - Official Plan Amendment

Oct 14, 16 8:22 am  · 
 · 

You guys!! Reed Kroloff is my new favorite person ever.  Listen to this wonderful TED talk from 13 years ago. First, he leads with a hilarious analogy. Second, he calls out crappy architecture VERY straightforwardly. Third, it's amazing to see HOW MUCH and how quickly technology and culture has changed in 13 years!

How are we supposed to keep up?! Goodness. I love architecture, I love pop culture.

Oct 14, 16 11:03 am  · 
 · 

I almost had Reed Kroloff as dean, but he bolted Tulane for Cranbrook before my first semester. 

Oct 14, 16 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

I guess this is the other side of the gentrification argument.  Much nuance...

Oct 14, 16 11:57 am  · 
 · 

You guys remember The Architect movie we all panned on here earlier this year? Apparently Lars Ulrich was the producer.

That's right - the drummer from Metallica.

Oct 14, 16 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

god damn Danes....he should of casted a fellow Dane - Bjarke

Oct 14, 16 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

Mr Wiggin, I'm really hoping the paper published that letter to let all Lindsay Miller's neighbors know publicly what a self-proclaimed piece of shit s/he is.

Oct 14, 16 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

If there is one thing about growing up poor that would be beneficial (actually there's been quite a bit even though it was pretty hard) - is that no matter how much money I make, I'll never be like Lindsay Miller.

Oct 14, 16 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

While Lindsay Miller may be an elitist snob and probably didn't say it in the nicest way- she is right.  If I own a property I will do with it what I damn well please.  If you don't like it, put your money where your mouth is.  Zoning, Planning and L&I is the system in place to deal with fairness.

In Philadelphia, there is a mini-controversy about the demolition of "Jeweler's Row" to make way for new development.  While this also includes preservation issues, I think the point is the same.  Change happens.  You can't cry that you want things to stay the same and ask someone else to foot the bill.

Oct 14, 16 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

If only there were more people like you Mings, but the utter lack of empathy, and inability to actually try on other folks' shoes (metaphorically) by most people is more the rule these days.  That goes for people on any side of an issue, folks just don't want to actually consider opinions that differ from their own, instead, writing them off as pinko commies, or nazi bigots rather than challenge themselves to analyze their own perspective.

Oct 14, 16 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

I definitely shouldn't be held up as a paragon of virtue - I'm totally guilty of it at times too. For example, I'm not necessarily the greatest with Trump supporters but I do understand where they come from. It would just be more understandable with Kasich or Cruz (I suppose).

Oct 14, 16 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
makingspace

while change is inevitable it's completely within our power as citizens to direct it, even if you're not a property owner.  while owner's certainly deserve a commanding voice given their investment in the place, they do not have carte blanche over what happens.  

Oct 14, 16 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Sure, and that's what I mean when I refer Planning & Zoning.

Changes to planning / zoning in response to planned development are ok too, as long as they don't become an illegal "taking"

Oct 14, 16 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

On a different note, Lars Ulrich...

The pretentious architect trope, how original.  He must've finally recovered from his Napster fight.

Oct 14, 16 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

JeromeS, do you think Jeweler's Row should be protected? IMO it's a pretty strong cultural history story and its loss would be the loss of an important piece of the city's history.  It's far from being just another generic block of street-level commercial/residential above rowhouses. There are many of those blocks in the city and IMO it isn't *that* big a deal if those - or many of them - are changed. But Jeweler's Row is special.

Oct 14, 16 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'm wearing a light colored shirt and there is a ton of glare on my screen, it's hard to draw this way. I'm thinking...is that why architects wear black all the time?

Oct 14, 16 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

Perhaps it's a bonus, but the black clothing came before the computer monitor. Maybe it all started as a way to maintain an appearance of cleanliness when the dust from the lead sharpener would spill over the architect's shirt. White shirt equaled shame for the rest of the day, black shirt equaled no big deal.

Oct 14, 16 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

JeromeS, do you think Jeweler's Row should be protected?

I'm not invested in it, financially or emotionally.  Maybe as an architect I should be, but I can only care about so much.  Perhaps it should be protected, but it hasn't been.  Philadelphia apparently has a problem with preservation.  Regardless, tons of significant buildings have been torn down across the country- it happens, we all move on.

As to Jewelers Row; this isn't Podunk, W Virginia, where something was approved under cover of darkness.   The approval process took several months at least.  Property was acquired, likely over years.  NOW, somebody is upset- when the bulldozer is at their door?  Why not change the rules so that we can do better next time.  Too often the Anti people want to change the rules retroactively.  I think that's wrong.

Oct 14, 16 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
I'm not *deeply* invested in Jewelers Row either, but it is a really interesting place and representative of a time when merchants of the same goods would congregate, which led to certain districts growing up around them. It's a wonderfully legible story of the city's history.

Now of course we know that wherever a Dicks Sporting Goods pops up the Applebee's, McDonald's, and BedBathBeyond will appear too, so it's practically the same thing I guess?
Oct 14, 16 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

the link still exists, some thesis project on jewelers row (I had potential client at the building on page 77)

A Proposal for Preserving and Restoring the Streetscape of Jewelers’ Row

By Hsin-Yi Ho (Upenn)

Oct 14, 16 11:00 pm  · 
 · 

Some news to share: I've made the decision to amicably part ways with my current employer at the end of the month to accept a position with a smaller, more design-oriented firm here in Seattle.

The new place has a particular focus on K-12, higher ed, healthcare, and cultural projects, which have always been close to my heart as an architect, and they've been the recipient of over fifty regional and national AIA awards over the past twenty years. Just as importantly, it sounds like a great place to work.

I'm saddened to be saying goodbye to my colleagues at the current gig, but I hope to stay in touch and I'm excited about this opportunity and what the future has in store.

Oct 14, 16 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

It's easy to grin When your ship comes in And you've got the stockmarket beat. But the man worthwhile, Is the man who can smile, When his shorts are too tight in the seat.

Oct 14, 16 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Good luck with the new digs David.
Oct 15, 16 12:16 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Hope that monster storm didn't eat D. Cole over the weekend.  My friend's in Seattle were in a panic last week.

Oct 17, 16 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

Still alive. I had a front-row seat to the whole thing, but it didn't turn out to be much worse than a typical severe storm back in the Midwest.

Oct 17, 16 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Hey, I know that pier!  Mithun has a pretty sweet setup on the pier to the south, great view you have regardless the weather!

Oct 17, 16 5:14 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, I have a friend at Mithun and I was able to tour their office last year. I think anybody would be hard-pressed to find a cooler office space in the city.

Fortunately, my new gig is just a few blocks away, so I'll have a short walk to work until my lease is up... I suspect at that point my landlord will raise my rent to the extent that I'll have to move out.

Oct 17, 16 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Haven't been on archinect for years - but  received an email from a user here so came back to check out whats happening. And what do you know, this thread still exists and there is talk about Jewelers' Row in Philadelphia.

I agree that the rules should be changed - or that the mechanism for preservation of historical buildings and districts should be stronger. I also agree is that change is not a negative thing, and will always happen. But I don't think that excludes the need for constant advocacy and voicing of opinion for preservation of significant buildings and districts, even if it has failed to gain official historical designation. Policy, rules, mechanisms, designations, etc etc can not always cover all situations - and with enough financial gain potential developers with lawyers will always find a way. There is little in the zoning language that talks about un-quantifiable things like architecturally and culturally significant buildings/spaces/streets. Oh, but wait, the developers will retain "the cornice line" so we're all good. 

Oct 17, 16 10:38 pm  · 
 · 

Heh... A good friend of mine from Cincinnati just landed an interview at a big architecture firm here in Seattle. One by one I'm working on relocating my entire social circle from Cincinnati to Seattle.

Oct 18, 16 6:22 pm  · 
 · 

So I worked a full day, had a late meeting, got home and did dinner and some housework, finally settled in with the computer to do some reading. Contemplated having a little nip of bourbon before bed, and was not feeling it strongly as I scrolled through twitterstorms about Trump, Angelina-Brad divorce rumors, appeals for funding for the local NPR, bad tax news....then I saw the headline Zumthor not happy with LACMA renderings and immediately went "Yep, need booze." Sigh.

Oct 18, 16 9:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: