anchor

Thread Central

dia

That Ken.....

Here is something a little less anonymous: http://www.analogstructures.com/

Apr 2, 15 2:20 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Sarah, Your kitchen lights and appliances are almost certainly protected by more than one circuit breaker or fuse. Verify which breaker or fuse powers what by tripping the breaker or unscrewing the fuse and seeing what goes out in the kitchen or elsewhere. The fix may be as simple as plugging the blender into another outlet and possibly blanking off the wall outlet(s) connected to the fuse or breaker that is trying to service too much. An electrician will be able to tell you what is safe and what is not. The roof is a different story. You really need a serviceable roof. Replacing the shingles is a one or two day job, and the seller should pony up.

Apr 2, 15 8:24 am  · 
 · 

Wait, doesn't everyone always use a buyer's agent when they buy real estate?!

Apr 2, 15 9:29 am  · 
 · 

Trevor I doubt that thread would get much traction, but I think everyone here knows how I feel about Libeskind, and about Brad Pitt.

Apr 2, 15 9:34 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

donna, let's start a gay friendly pizza joint in walkerton.

Apr 2, 15 9:35 am  · 
 · 

Big Gay Pizza! Where Everything Is Well-Designed.

I had never heard of Walkerton previous to that news broadcast. If you saw the same one I did, my friend Billy Hannan, who runs Broad Ripple Brew Pub in our neighborhood, was the opposing voice saying "We do not discriminate, period."  They have actually gotten emails from beer aficionados across the country saying 'We will not ever try your beer until the legislation is changed." It's really, really rough here in liberal Naptown right now. I understand the boycott, and support it in many ways, but I also see how it negatively affects everyone who is ALSO vehemently opposed to the legislation but happens to live in the state and is now being punished economically for the gerrymandered legislation's politically self-serving motives. The answer isn't to leave the state - it's easy to be progressive in Oregon - it just means those of us who are here fighting the good fight every goddam day now have to fight all the harder.

Ugh, sorry for swearing. We discuss this on the podcast this week. It's so emotional for me here right now.

Apr 2, 15 9:41 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

We've asked the seller to have a licensed electrician install/fix all the GFCI outlets, a licensed roofer to repair/reflash the roof vents, but not replace the roof (we hope to do standing seem in a year) and our agent asked a licensed HVAC guy to clean/service the unit.  All that after having our own guy go out and verify the inspection report.  Oh, and they're being asked to replace the cracked window pane with like and kind.

Now I just have to get drawings done for our new, detached garage, and save up the 30,000 grand that's gonna cost us.  Think I can do a 20'x24' garage, with 12' plate height, and standing seem roof for less than that?  Maybe if we only finish the outside?  Do it in stages?  So many thoughts to think about.  Maybe I should hire an architect.....  What's that website, again? 

Apr 2, 15 9:59 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Sarah,

About the shingles - contact a roofer, or several roofers, and find out which shingles will last and which won't. Don't let the seller use a cheap roofer who installs crap shingles with an inexperienced crew.

Apr 2, 15 10:03 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

30k? For a garage? You better get a mother-in-law apartment for that kind of bread.

Apr 2, 15 10:04 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Don't worry Donna, I curse plenty for both of us.

Apr 2, 15 10:05 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Sara,

Our posts crossed. Sounds like you have a good handle on it. As an aside I would can the microwave altogether, especially if you have kids around, because of the radiation leakage as they age.

Apr 2, 15 10:10 am  · 
 · 

b3ta that's $62/sf. About right for a garage these days, I think. Sarah, I'd do the interior insulation (I assume it's going to be climate controlled for your husband's cars, yes?) and wall sheathing myself if I was building a new garage. That saves a decent amount.

Apr 2, 15 10:28 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

That's what I was thinking, Donna.  It might not be truly climate controlled, but something to knock the chill off with a kerosene heater, or keep things from melting, but no true HVAC.  Still, we have one of those foam spraying machines, so we can use that for the walls, and at some point in the future, put the drywall up.  And Beta, that's with the metal roof for both the garage and house.  Figured I should do those at the same time so that they match.  Say, now that I'm thinking about it, what kind of ventilation do you use with a metal roof.  Whirly birds would look ridiculous.  I can't seem to remember seeing anything in pictures.  Surely they must use something.

And, I'm hoping I can carve a bit of storage/me space out of Husband's garage, anyway.

Apr 2, 15 10:46 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
For that kind of bread, I'm beginning to think my idea of 3 shipping containers on my property is a genius idea. I can do a garage/gallery space, with a loft studio for half that.
Apr 2, 15 10:48 am  · 
 · 
rationalist

Donna, actually my husband almost had us use a dual-agent. This is when the buyer doesn't bring their own agent to the table but signs a contract with the seller's agent saying that he'll represent both interests. 
Fortunately the first time he tried to put this into action, the seller's agent wouldn't return his call and I got my opening to advocate for the usual process that I would be more comfortable with. His view was that in a competitive market, an agent has an interest in becoming a dual agent because that means twice the commission for them, thus giving us a leg up in the bidding. My view is that this effectively leaves us without an agent because he just wants to make the sale no matter what, and I want someone who is willing to say "no, don't buy this house" if they see something wrong.

Apr 2, 15 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

Donna, open Big Gay Pizza and deny service to heterosexuals. 

Apr 2, 15 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

rationalist: one time my wife and I sold a house where the buyers came to the table without their own agent - meaning our listing agent handled both sides of the transaction. It was a nightmare because the buyer would not listen to anything our agent had to say during the negotiations and that rugged dynamic dragged out the transaction for an exceedingly long period of time.

The only positive part -- since our agent did not need to split the commission with another agent, when we got down to the final hair-splitting over price, our agent kicked in a considerable portion of her commission to make the deal happen. 

Apr 2, 15 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

And why would they listen to anything your agent told them to do? Your agent was your agent first and has a vested interest in getting the deal done. Sounds like they didn't realize the implications of this until they'd already committed to doing the deal that way. Definitely not the direction I want to go in.

Apr 2, 15 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Realtors have their own interests in mind at all times. My story: I wanted to bid less than the asking price and my realtor advised me not to, she said she didn't want to insult the seller and that bidding $20k less like I wanted to wasn't worth it because I should think about how little $$ that is over 30 years, she said it is "only 20 grand". I was like, I know, pocket change! I did it anyways and it was fine, we won the bid over the other buyers, with no help from her. It is in the realtor's best interest to close the deal fast and with minimal effort or conflict so that is what they try to do. 

Apr 2, 15 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

rationalist  - exactly. If we could have forced to buyer to obtain their own agent, then we would have done so (even our agent wanted that to happen). But, they refused to even consider the idea and - frankly - didn't see any value to themselves in doing so. I think they planned all along to create conditions where our listing agent felt compelled to kick in part of her commission to make the deal happen. 

tintt - exactly. Regardless who they represent, agents have to be managed.

I'm not really fond of real estate agents in general. But, I have met a few over the years who worked hard and actually earned their commission. However, those are few and far between.

Apr 2, 15 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
I had dinner and (several) drinks last night with my best friend from undergraduate school. We've been friends for almost 30 years, along with four others from the same time. I feel like we know each other so well even across drastically different life trajectories because we because we basically grew into being adults together. Those studio friendships are so important!
Apr 3, 15 9:42 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

jla-x, Heizer is so ahead of his time, there is a campaign now to save the city!

Apr 3, 15 9:53 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Donna, I talk to my best friend from architecture studio once or twice a week!

Apr 3, 15 10:50 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I started BJJ this week, anyone have experience with that art form? Tough as hell, plus, I'm going to the YWCA, before I go to class. Ugh, but man, is it fun.

Apr 4, 15 2:09 pm  · 
 · 

Hi all!

Ken, I remember watching early UFC videos (on video) and the impact the Gracies had when they first arrived, on scene... That marathon fight with Shamrock blew my mind.

Right around that time a bunch of us did an after-school class. Been a long time.

Apr 4, 15 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

I just watched The History of Future Folk. Pure delight, absolutely lovely, silly and funny. Highly recommend.

Apr 4, 15 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

@Sarah - if you're leaving foam insulation exposed, make sure you spray the insulation with intumescent paint.

Apr 5, 15 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Toast, why?

Apr 5, 15 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Since I'm a random internet person, you really need to check with your local building code official, but typically you aren't allowed to leave that stuff exposed.

http://www.icc-es.org/News/Articles/AY126ThermalBarriersSPF2011-51811.pdf

I've heard that they make spray foam that doesn't need an ignition barrier, but even that stuff is really nasty if any of it is exposed to open flame.  usually you can get away with intumescent paint, but covering it with something is ideal.

Apr 5, 15 10:00 pm  · 
 · 

Tumescent paint is more fun.

Apr 5, 15 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
-------

This thread has potential.

I'm sorry to see that the Hotel Okura is being torn down.

Apr 6, 15 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

^What a sight, if they were to save any building in Tokyo the Hotel Okura has to be it.  Hope they tear down the newer annex instead, because the mid-century wing is a treasure.

Apr 6, 15 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
-------

I bet no one here has ever been asked to draft a cocktail.

Apr 7, 15 10:09 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

That's actually in the national archive, and was reviewed by IP Freeley.  there's got to be a story there.  hopefully someone will research the person who originally drafted this, and who at the dept. of ag. had it done.

Apr 7, 15 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

^ Had a copy of that years ago, was in blueprint which made it better....also still have coasters with individual images on each in blueline.

Apr 7, 15 10:25 am  · 
 · 
-------

I just did some Googling. Esquire has an article that explains its origin.

Apr 7, 15 10:27 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

"too neat to throw away"

lol.  because it doesn't need ice?

that is awesome.  thanks jw

Apr 7, 15 10:50 am  · 
 · 

In the comments, a guy claims to have bought the originals back in the 70's, and is selling reprints.  Looks like it was a 2 sheeter.  (missed opportunity-it should have been 3 sheets).

Apr 7, 15 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

downloadable color version, not vintage but equally helpful http://slyoyster.com/foodanddrink/2013/helpful-guide-to-mixed-drinks/

Apr 7, 15 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

<rant>
You know what I miss about doing custom residential for wealthy clients? They knew the value of paying for responsibility and convenience. Example: buying furniture and always getting "white glove delivery" which means the supplier delivers, assembles, places, cleans up, and takes away all the refuse. During this process the supplier also takes responsibility for any damage that might occur.

So when a company tries to save a buck by assembling it themselves, what happens?  It gets delivered, but not all the pieces are together so people in the mail room have to spend time tracking all the pieces, then someone has to find a hand truck to get it to the right office, then someone has to spend an hour looking for their drill that someone borrowed yesterday, then someone has to open all the boxes and break them all down and deliver them to the recycling dumpster, then someone realizes there are no assembly instructions so the dumpstered cardboard has to be hauled back out and checked again, then the instructions still aren't found so someone has to spend 20 minutes searching the manufacturer's website only to get a bunch of 404 errors for every pdf, then someone from another department has to swoop in and feel like a hero for helping drive some screws, then the tabletop gets a huge scratch across it that no one who has been involved will admit was their fault, then the department with the new table is unhappy about the scratch and finance has to be contacted to see if they can send the top back for replacement but the company says sorry, if you'd taken white glove delivery we would have but since you decided to save a few bucks by installing it yourself....

Yep. Wealthy people understand that they're paying not for the labor but for the convenience of not having to deal with all those headaches themselves. also, when you pay someone who knows what they're doing you're less likely to end up with two mystery unused assembly pieces at the end, just sitting there looking misunderstood.

Apr 7, 15 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Donna, that’s true, but realize this too – that’s the same reason they hire bigger, well established firms and builders, and the reason the small guys never get a chance to do the good stuff.

Apr 7, 15 1:56 pm  · 
 · 

Depends what you consider "good stuff".

Apr 7, 15 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
So I'm "designing" my new garagmahal, and I've come to a weird condition, that I'm sure has a simple design solution, but I can't see it.

Problem: I've got a 20' long, 3' tall shed dormer (that's the visible wall space from the exterior). Because husband will have a lift on one side, the attic/loft space only covers about half. I want a long horizontal window for the dormer, but the wall from the loft messes it all up. What am I missing.
Apr 9, 15 10:59 am  · 
 · 

Post a section, Sarah!

Apr 9, 15 11:00 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

show us your sketchup model....

in other news, this is what an 'architecture' themed bar looks like

http://www.sanjose.com/2015/04/08/the-fountainhead-opens-inside-sofa-market/

Apr 9, 15 11:26 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
I don't have any models. Just a front elevation and a side section. And they're just rough ideas.

And are you ready to hear how lame I am? I can only use my phone to comment. I can't remember my password/username combo for Archinect. I suck at life most of the time.
Apr 9, 15 11:47 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

could be worse sarah.  you could have designed a bar called 'the fountainhead' and referred to it as 'architecture themed.'  all things considered, you're doing quite well at life!

nobody remembers all their passwords anyway.

Apr 9, 15 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
-------

There's a Fountainhead bar in Chicago, too. How can that article only have one photo? I wanted to see the rest of it.

I've never been able to make myself read that book.

Apr 9, 15 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

curt, that is a lovely response to Sarah!

I don't want to hate on the bar too much, but ugh I'm sick to death of the Fountainhead being held up as some kind of ideal version of who we are supposed to be. Fuck Howard Roark, that whiny self-centered egotistical jerk.

I will claim a little superiority over the whole mixed drink trend, though. For heaven's sake, if you're *really* such a purist as Roark was you'd drink your bourbon straight, not mixed up with green tea and cherry fizz!

Edited to add: I do like that Chicago Fountainhead's logo. jw468! And the interior of the new Fountainhead, from the one image at least, looks lovely.

Apr 9, 15 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I have not read the fountain head. Heard plenty of it from other, never cared to look into it further.

Apr 9, 15 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: