Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

shellarchitect

was about 10 when I read it, seems like there was some weird sex stuff

Apr 9, 15 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
I think I figured out a solution. I feel pretty dumb. I don't HAVE to have a full wall. I could do a 36" half wall. A sort of rail to look into the shop. I could drop things on Husband as he works. Shoot him with water guns. Of course, I'm sure he'll wait to use the impact when I'm meditating or doing yoga or something. Now what do I do about actual attic storage.....
Apr 10, 15 11:39 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Not directed at you Sarah, but isn’t it funny how proud people are of living in their attics and basements? Capturing “Free” space is a national obsession.

Apr 10, 15 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Carrera, it kinda makes sense. It's control. Not sure what would be wrong about living in the basement, but attics can get hot!

Husband actually wants the garage to be powered for future hvac, but I think that's silly. Just open the window, and suck it up. Besides, people pay for hotbox saunas. It's cleansing, right?
Apr 10, 15 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

our former neighbor had 220 power in his garage and talked about it endlessly when trying to sell, pretty sure the new guy couldn't care less about it

Apr 10, 15 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I have a loft space in my garage. It is too hot to use and is not a nice space for anything but storing things that aren't temperature sensitive. Mine doesn't have a stair, I use a ladder. Stairs take a lot of space.

Apr 10, 15 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

Sarah, dormers can be a bit tricky structurally. Just sayin. Think hard about load path while you do the structural design. 

Apr 10, 15 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
I realize that I don't know enough to do these drawing much past where a 3 year student could get. I'm hoping I can get design intent, and hand it off to a master builder of some sort. I didn't even know until yesterday that there are these wood ibeams you can use to span 20' and the floor not be spongy.

Husband needs 220, but we are doing it for us. I agree that if we ever sold, it wouldn't be up the price.

And I'm tired of thinking about future owners when it comes to making decisions in MY house. I'm going to take the stance that I will be here forever, and I will make it mine. It's not an investment; it's my home.
Apr 10, 15 1:35 pm  · 
 · 

....I'd suggest HVAC for the garage.....

Personally I'd love to have my garage heated, partly so my car isn't freezing on winter mornings (I know, so un-green of me!), but also because we store art there and the temperature swings are NOT good for it. Also if my husband is going to be working during summer he needs AC. I'm not saying it should be 70d. in there all year, but keeping it above freezing in winter and below 90 in summer woudl be nice.

Apr 10, 15 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

Why does my spell check not catch woudl?

Apr 10, 15 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Garages and shops can be heated with radiant heat. 

Could do a portable AC unit too. Sarah, check for height restrictions on this garage. Also think of the shadow a tall garage creates on your yard if it is a small lot. 

Apr 10, 15 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Using a split-ductless heat pump is a good choice (heat & cool), do-it-yourself for about $750., will do 600 SF, more the more you insulate....only part you can't do is charge-up with refrigerate, which is a simple service call. Then again a simple window banger could cool for $180. with a crude wood stove added....which is a nice touch in a workshop.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ramsond-9-500-BTU-3-4-Ton-Ductless-Duct-Free-Mini-Split-Air-Conditioner-and-Heat-Pump-110V-60Hz-27GW2/203013142?N=5yc1vZc4m1Z2bctxoZ1z10dqc

Apr 10, 15 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I just went out and measured... the TGI's that make up the floor of the loft in my garage are 16" deep and span 20'. I've never jumped up there to test it out or anything but I don't think it is spongy. I never go up there because I have fear of heights. 

Apr 10, 15 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Schoon

Sarah, what depth are you thinking you'd allow for the floor joists?  11 7/8" TJI 360s can handle 20' spans no problem, as long as you're not hosting parties up there or anything.

Apr 10, 15 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Design by committee via the internets.

LOL

Apr 10, 15 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

It isn't design by committee until you offer your input, Miles. 

Apr 10, 15 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

^bah!

Apr 10, 15 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

The least she could do is have a competiton. 

Apr 10, 15 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
See, I don't even know what TJIs are. I will have to look it up.

As for the competition, consider it open. Winner gets to see me struggle to build their design, on a budget, and a framed photo of the final result. Oh, and of course, an invitation to the opening party. Travel not included. Please design something that fits into the area, think Monroe Garden District, or Texas Hill Country (Lake Flato meets farm house meets cottage). Must be less than 500 sqft for permitting and setback purposes.

Please send full color renderings and complete CDs for consideration. Winner will be announced upon completion of built garage. On your marks, get set, GO!
Apr 11, 15 11:12 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Sarah, what is the program - cars, loft/office, shop?

Apr 11, 15 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Oh, sorry. Program: Car storage, with a lift on one side for automotive side-work. Loft space above wife-side for attic storage and painting, or reading, or hiding from family.
Apr 11, 15 11:55 am  · 
 · 
-------

What's the fee to participate?

Apr 11, 15 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

There you go Sarah, budget problem solved.

Apr 11, 15 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Oh, god, I get to charge YOU to compete?! Free drawing/design isn't enough?! Wow. OK. Let me see.... I'm feeling generous, how does a $250 registration fee sound? Is that a bargain? I hope it's a bargain. I realize that I'll never fund a garage-build with this low of a fee, but I want to be sure I'm leaving room for the smaller/younger firms to participate.
Apr 11, 15 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

Lower the entry fee to $95 and hawk this at all the architectural schools. If you get 300 applicants the garage is paid for (or you've just doubled your budget).

The Archinect forum will be the jury.

Apr 11, 15 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
No, only Thread Central will be the jury!
Apr 11, 15 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

sarah - the primary competition requirement is that it should utilize the 3dx fancy graphics structural system.

Apr 12, 15 9:53 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I think all regulars should get to submit designs for free. 

Apr 12, 15 10:27 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I'm Sure Per is in! 

Apr 12, 15 10:31 am  · 
 · 

I doubt Schumacher will enter.

Apr 12, 15 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Schumacher doesn't know what a TJI is, either.

Apr 12, 15 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

If you use TJIs to do 3d fancy honeycomb it's not the real 3d honeycomb. because per said. 

Apr 12, 15 7:58 pm  · 
 · 

Nice one, archanonymous.

So my birthday was yesterday, I'm 48! Archinect has been around for 18 years, so when I was liberty bell I guess I was 30 years old. I am loving getting older, I mean the physical decay isn't fun but oh man am I happier, wiser, cooler, and so much more appreciative of so much beauty and wonder in the world. Life is beautiful and I'm grateful for every day of it.

And hey I'm not even drunk! But last night when we had my birthday celebration I was. This morning was rough!

Apr 12, 15 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

good night TC!

Apr 12, 15 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Happy birthday Donna! !!!!

Apr 13, 15 7:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

[~]
birthday bourbon  shots!

Apr 13, 15 10:24 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Happy B-Day Donna from another one with that age of decay and warped mind that comes after decades of practiced corruption..  <<slaps on my roller skates and chooses you for that 'Xanadu' song for a few rounds around the ring because you look like a Betty in leg warmers>>.  :P

Xanadu song in case you've forgotten (age does that...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m1UWSD-FaA

Apr 13, 15 10:53 am  · 
 · 
gruen

Drinks are on me!

Apr 13, 15 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

I am being harassed by a woman who got contact info, footsteps, job, etc. from my Archinect and web information. She called all the way to my job and told the chairperson, accusing me of ruining her life. This Ms. Thompson (yes, she left a name and # number) when I called the number an enthusiastic woman answered and as soon as I introduced myself she cut me off. I know no one by that name. Does anybody know how to report a cyber threat and invasion of privacy at a professional level? Damn, it is now too late to go unknown again when I have thousands of links on me. It was really disturbing when I got the call from school. # was from Bay Area and I haven't been there in 2-3 years.

Apr 13, 15 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ ouch...

I've only ever had people toss the occasional crazy conspiracy email or an attempt to break into my gmail or facebook account. This goes way beyond that. Is she a past student?

Apr 13, 15 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

No, I don't know anyone by that name, I don't think so. Whoever completes the project in my studios passes the class. This is how I was schooled at SCI Arc. I am not particularly known as a mean critic either. In fact, there are a lot of laughters in my critiques and in juries. I think I will file a complain in campus sheriff's.

Apr 13, 15 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

sorry to hear that orhan.  does your school administration have an office that might be able to help?  A complaint to the sheriff might be a good idea, but if someone at your school has experience with that, maybe they would be able to provide more personal attention?

Apr 13, 15 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Orhan, fortunately with this kind of thing being telegraphed by media so much these days it should be of no surprise to your leadership, and no threat to your position….I would get a handle on her locale to evaluate any personal threat.

Apr 13, 15 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Happy late birthday Donna.

Orhan, I know some hackers who could take care of that problem for you. 

Apr 13, 15 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I was thinking....Sarah should throw  a Wille Nelson kinda Build a Garage Party!  You have everyone bring some construction material on the planned weekend  (people of course selecting what they want to bring)  Check all the material upon arrival,  Then you have a design charrette based upon what people show up with on a Friday night, fueled by  beer, wine and of course Whiskey cause your in the Great State of Texas.  Saturday everyone just starts putting it together and well by Sunday night your out of there.

Apr 13, 15 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Good idea snooker! 

"Hemp" is a construction material, right?

Apr 13, 15 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

I'm sorry that's happening to you Orhan. Is there someone at your school who assists professors with complaints, etc? Or could you get ahold of records for your previous classes to see if that name pops up on the roster, see what grade you gave her, whether anything jogs your memory a bit? 

Apr 13, 15 8:29 pm  · 
 · 

Orhan, if you are being harassed, call the police. If your reputation has been damaged, hire a lawyer. If it is interstate contact the FBI.

Apr 13, 15 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

just out of curiosity, how does ms. thompson think her life was ruined?  certainly not from internet blogs or forum posts?

Apr 14, 15 7:49 am  · 
 · 

Yes, archanonymous, definitely. The Primitive Hut used hemp, IIRC.

Orhan, I'm sorry. I hope it isn't ongoing and that the mystery lady is harmless. Hang in there.

Apr 14, 15 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: