Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

****melt

I didn't watch it.  Did they really cheer when he told then how many people he executed?  I sometimes feel we're beginning to devolve as a society. 

This morning I heard that they are getting rid of the smog regulations, which I found rather disturbing.  I get that we are helping the manufacturing industry, but I fear this could potentially wreak havoc on  the growing asthma population, which as research shows usually occurs in the urban areas among the poor.  If I'm not mistaken a lot of these poor people don't have private health care which means they are using Medicaid, a government subsidy. right?  So while we've made it cheaper for private sector manufacturers to produce goods (which is very beneficial to the economy), we've just in a way, contributed to a rise in government health care costs.  Maybe my brain is just connecting some unrelated dots, maybe I'm seeing a forest where there are just a couple of trees, but I am continually frustrated by the band-aid we are using to try to staunch an aortic bleed.

Sep 8, 11 11:15 am  · 
 · 

@*melt: i do the "fork in left and knife in right" thing whenever i'm eating something that actually requires a knife...

i made pulled pork this weekend for our labor day bbq, which was visited by the philly naked bike ride! (potentially NSFW)... the leftovers become carnitas burritos for dinner tonight...

@jump: looking forward to seeing both the new office space and the new houses...

was jon huntsman in this debate? he might be the one republican worth listening to...

Sep 8, 11 11:40 am  · 
 · 

No, melt, you connected exactly the dots that no politician OR rabid supporter of any ideology is willing to connect because they show too clearly how backward we are as a society.  Did anybody read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH?

I'm officially in freakout mode over the opening tonight.  Too much to still get done, and I don't even know what I'm going to wear!   AAAAAGGHHHH!!!!!

Sep 8, 11 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Phil, yes, Huntsman was in it.

*melt, The recent pollution regulation that didn't pass amounts to a tennis ball's worth of pollution in an Olympic size pool, so while it sounds bad it is not a big deal. BTW, I can't help but wonder if asthma among the urban poor has anything to do with smoking?

Sep 8, 11 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Donna, I saw the movie; just watched it a few weeks ago, but I'm missing your point.

And don't you guys know that criminals aren't people?

Sep 8, 11 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I read Rats of NIMH, but that was probably in 4th grade, so more than a few years ago :)

Sep 8, 11 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

donna - IMO it's been more like "lord of the flies" lately.

Sep 8, 11 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

This is for Donna and everybody else that loves flatware...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdHe2yd5LnQ

Sep 8, 11 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

There is no there - You are very lucky to live where you do.  Your air is naturally more clean than the air those of us that live in river valleys and swamp land.  I think your views would change drastically if you were to ever spend time in the Ohio River Valley.  All the shit that in the air (whether it be dust, mold and pollen particles or pollution) just gets stuck here and lingers in the hot humid air.  Even people with no breathing issues that live here in the Queen City find it hard to get a full breath of air when we've had day after day of smog alerts. 

Our river valley is like an olympic size pool that has a shoddy working filtration system and no pool boy to pick out the tennis balls.  Eventually they keep piling up until you can't move.  So in other words, it's only a tennis ball's worth of pollution what's the big deal keeping with keeping it clean?

Sep 8, 11 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

So while we've made it cheaper for private sector manufacturers to produce goods (which is very beneficial to the economy),

This actually rubs me in the wrong way.

99% of modern manufacturing does not produce any smog-related air pollution.

The reason we have the image of of doom-and-gloom factories was that, prior to the 1950s, before there was a modern power grid, most factories produced their electricity and power on site. Now that almost all manufacturing facilities have converted over to using fully-electrified machines or have replace many of their processes to use clean burning fuels (gas, alcohol, hydrogen, acetylene), the idea that manufacturing being dirty or correlated manufacturing with air pollution is purely historical.

Smog controls would only hurt petroleum, coal, heavy industries that still rely on direct fuel burning and the transportation industry (namely diesel cars). Even the steel industry, the very bit that is left, still hasn't fully switched over to induction or plasma. Germany, France and Italy did this 60 years ago.

Now, manufacturing is different than processing. The difference here is that a manufacturer typically makes a useable consumer product from feedstock. A processor usually acts as a intermediary transforming raw materials into feedstock.

In which case, the United States has quite a "healthy" processing industry left— chemical manufacturers, material manufacturers (paints, polymers, vinyl, glues), distilleries and or refineries, power production et cetera.

Those industrial elements, on the other hand, haven't done much to clean up their act in the last 30 years.

Sep 8, 11 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Thanks.. my bad. I shoulda just used the saying "When a butterfly flaps its wings in one part of the world it can cause a hurricane in another part of the world." to get my point across.

Sep 8, 11 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

Relevant to melt's point, I noticed the other day that Illinois has several nuclear power plants and Indiana has one (maybe two?).  So nuclear fallout from Illinois would land on Indiana, since weather pretty much always comes from the west.  I'm sure the agricultural chemicals Hoosiers use are landing on the Carolinas and other points east.  What a mess.

Sep 8, 11 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

BTW, I can't help but wonder if asthma among the urban poor has anything to do with smoking?

my asthma went away a few years after I moved to a cleaner city - I've never smoked, and my family never smoked, and my friends didn't smoke.  and I grew up "urban poor."

Sep 8, 11 3:10 pm  · 
 · 

****melt...

That was by no means a dig at you!

It was a dig at the industrial sector saying air pollution controls hurts their profit margins. The reality is all this would increase energy costs which are a feedstock to manufacturing. The increased costs would make advanced gas turbines, nuclear power, solar and wind economically competitive. With the exception of solar, the U.S. is far behind the curve on other technologies.

India, for instance, already has a thorium nuclear reactor online. China's thorium reactors will be online in 2 to 3 years. We're not getting behind thorium-based reactors because all of the patents have expired on the technology, there's no way to make money directly and all of the largest power consumers right now have enough thorium in mining waste and spent nuclear fuel to last them for a couple dozen millennium.

We're sitting around on our hands doing nothing while India is already solving its energy problems.

Sep 8, 11 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

toaster... my asthma sucks when the air quality is bad.  I don't smoke or live with a smoker.  I just live in a river valley.

Sep 8, 11 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

isn't thorium the fuel that causes the most problems with dirtiness when it gets out of control?  am pretty sure it was that stuff that was freaking everyone out when fukushima went critical.  i was totally pro nuclear until we got radiation in our drinking water and a significant part of our country lost the ability to produce food again for the next decades at best.

@ toast, the notebook i like the best is possibly this one

@ philip, agree hunstman seems least crazy of the lot.  after that EPA bullshit i couldn't help but think since democrats have voted in a republican president anyway might as well go for the real deal and not some always on-the-ropes pseudo democrat.  

but then i hear rick perry say evolution is not real and global warming a boogy-man made up by assholes looking to scare children, and how education is bad for the country and realise the choice in america has became much more surreal than i could ever have imagined.   the democratic president is pretty far into the right and the right-wingers are so far right they have just about come out the other side.  i am expecting a wormhole to form any minute.

Sep 8, 11 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

OK, about to get dressed, gather the child and outfits for him and husband and head to Museum.  breather, breathe...it will be awesome, but I'm nervous!  Will report back later, happier, and hopefully drunker!

Sep 8, 11 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

melt, I wouldn't be caught dead in Ohio. But I have visited, and I hear ya.

Sep 8, 11 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

good luck donna! it'll be great!

Sep 8, 11 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Good luck Donna!

And just for grins...

It's totally photoshopped, but it's still pretty funny!

Sep 8, 11 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

That picture is so disturbing.

So, the city I work in is trying to municipalize the electric utility. Basically buy the existing infrastructure and run it themselves. This is a city of about 100,000. Anyone want to take a guess at how much the legal fees are estimated to be? (I wish I had a law degree is all I'm saying.)

Sep 9, 11 9:02 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

FRaC, I honestly never thought of it that way.  Hmmm.

Sep 9, 11 9:56 am  · 
 · 

municipalize the electric utility.

how much the legal fees are estimated to be?

Very little, surprisingly.

I'm not entirely sure what the specifics of your city are but the general practice for private utilities is that the city generally builds or retains ownership of the right-of-way and then leases the grid to various power companies or utility providers.

This was the cause of discontent in the early 90s that lead to a proliferation of satellite services— utility providers wanted municipalities to sign exclusive lease agreements with them that they could be the only service provider. If the municipalities didn't agree to exclusive lease contracts, the providers would just turn off service.

Kind of hard to have any successful economic development or long-term community plan when your community doesn't have power or cable t.v., no?

This is one of the methods of how suburbia is subsidized. It would be next to impossible to provide full services at densities of less than 3,000 per square mile without significant government-corporate handouts in the form of "almost-free" infrastructure for service providers.

Sep 9, 11 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The plan is to sever ties and become independent: source, distribution, management, everything. Now I can't find the estimated legal fees that I thought I saw.

Sep 9, 11 11:43 am  · 
 · 

if they are anything like what lawyers charge here then i imagine there are some smiling lawyers in your city.  a lawyers work week in tokyo is measured in hours not days, and they are all billable.

Sep 9, 11 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Melt...I hope you have a young hard body Pool Boy, to get you thru the trying times..

Sep 9, 11 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Jump....good lawyers bill in quarter hour hits....that is after a signaficant retainer. Plus they make all of those expensive copies, photos and milage to boot....Soon I will reveal how much a Lawyer Makes..!

Sep 9, 11 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

snook - No pool boy here.  I am beginning to think it's just not in my cards.

Sep 9, 11 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

snook - No pool boy here.  I am beginning to think it's just not in my cards.

Sep 9, 11 6:38 pm  · 
 · 

it's a good gig no doubt, snook.  my partner pays more than enough in his real estate bizness that is for certain.  they are essential to a lot of the work though.  wouldn't want to do their job myself even with the money they are making.

but bilingual real estate/property lawyer in tokyo is a pretty special thing, perhaps it is not the same for lawyers everywhere.  i have heard that there are underpaid lawyers in usa just as architects....

Sep 9, 11 10:29 pm  · 
 · 

hey folks. I'm off to spend a weekend with my mother-in-law to be. I'm kind of excited.

Anyway the 2nd week of school is over - it was a mess, I almost packed it in the first week. I won't share here since we use our real names and all. Let's just say staffing complications. 

But I was able to finish the week off with a bang. We met with a client today who was thrilled with the projects development - always great news. Even better she told a mutual friend who said see was still excited. I'll share images once we get the okay... it's one of those projects of national interest though

Sep 9, 11 10:52 pm  · 
 · 

"i have heard that there are underpaid lawyers in usa just as architects"

absolutely... as the husband of a lawyer i can vouch for that... throughout the majority of our 8-year marriage i have actually had a higher salary than my wife... it depends largely on what type of law they practice, and on the size of the practice... at large firms in big cities the low end of salaries tend to be in the ballpark of $65-80K... meanwhile at small/medium sized firms the salaries can be as low as $35K... i've even seen craigslists ads for as little as $25K...

the funny thing is, when my wife was in law school, whenever one of her classmates found out that i was an architect they made some comment about how much money i must make...

Sep 10, 11 8:08 am  · 
 · 

they also have shady people looking to hire unpaid interns... although it isn't nearly as prevalent as in architecture...

Sep 10, 11 8:14 am  · 
 · 

that is more or less how i have heard phillip.  guess there really are no perfect careers.

Sep 10, 11 9:23 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The lawyers in my family make good money. Enough to have sailboats and vacation homes, etc. It is good to have family with vacation home and sailboats.

I shouldn't post what the lawyers are going to get on the utility condemnation because I don't trust my memory - number I had in my head was 200-300 million, but being that I can't find it again I have to wonder if I made it up! This would be over several years time, like at least 5. Is that resonable?

Sep 10, 11 9:45 am  · 
 · 

i was too busy yesterday to post, but i wanted to congratulate donna on her role as the artist's wife at the opening of mr donna sink's solo show at the indianapolis museum of art this week. it's a fabulous show, the work is so fun. if only there weren't all of those 'do not touch the art' signs around... i wanted to play!

Sep 10, 11 9:55 am  · 
 · 

Anniversary of 9-11. Keep safe people. 

Sep 11, 11 8:54 am  · 
 · 

sorry, i don't have anything to say but thread central was in danger of going to page 2. carry on! 

Sep 13, 11 7:21 am  · 
 · 
****melt

LOL!!!  I was going to bump it up if it was still at the bottom as well Steven.  Glad to hear mr donna sink's exhibit opening went well.  WIsh I could have been there to see it.  Hopefully I'll be able to do a road trip before the show is over.

Sep 13, 11 8:23 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

For the Cause......Tickle...tickle...I did go look at the Donna's Husbands Video at the Museum Site.  It looks Great!  I have an Attorney Client who is into Space Ships.  He even has a flight simulator in his garage.  I think he has been to Space Camp a couple of times and thinks nothing of traveling across the country to snap up some space related collectable be it a  X-Ray Gun  or a  Science Fiction Costume from some long forgotten movie.  Mr. Donna has the Right Stuff!

Sep 13, 11 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Nice, Snook, nice.  I'm still laughing.

Sep 13, 11 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

hi TC

what's with all the quiet?

i am on vacation and loving it. so far got to meet Barry and get a tour of Cal Poly Pomona and Orhan who gave me a tour of LA and Venice Beach.

Also now that I am in San Fran got to meet Javier and tour some old Navy bases.

More updates etc later. ta ta

Sep 13, 11 8:39 pm  · 
 · 

Just too busy.  Just waaaaay too busy, is all.  Mostly with non-paying work.

Sep 13, 11 9:18 pm  · 
 · 

ditto with the very busy-ness.  i need to clone myself.

Sep 14, 11 7:38 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

tickle tickle... I think I might just be finishing up my outdoor dining project before the end of a rocky week...may the force be with me!  on another note  I think I might have P-  ivy....attacking me.  sigh...cause  I think my Dog Frito  Jack might have been the carrier.

Sep 14, 11 11:00 pm  · 
 · 

snook sorry to hear. I get a chuckle everytime you mention your dogs, especially the name Frito Jack (hehe heh).

In other news, I received an offer today for someone to purchase my blog. I'm honoured but at the same time apprehensive. Thoughts, contributions?

Sep 15, 11 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

david that is really interesting. presumably they want it to continue being a blog? would you become editor in chief or something?

If the money is right why not? might come in handy for wedding....

Sep 15, 11 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

dear big-green head - did you know your website is being used to orchestrate a denial of service attack?

Sep 15, 11 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

people buy blogs???

Sep 15, 11 3:19 pm  · 
 · 

finally coming up for air from new faculty orientation. good info, but I wish it hadn't taken 4 days of my time.

Nam,

great meeting you and the missus. hope your drive up the coast exceeded expectations!

Sep 15, 11 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: