Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

hey folks keep safe. Having experienced a few hurricanes I know they aren't anything to sneeze about. Added that I know you guys don't design structurally to withstand hurricane winds. Keep safe, keep safe, keep safe. And please don't go out during the eye of the storm - no matter how calm it seems

Aug 26, 11 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

rusty - lol!

.someone's going to ride out the storm in a cocktail-induced haze.

sounds like a good idea to me

Aug 26, 11 7:12 pm  · 
 · 

Yep, cocktails and heavy rain sounds very fun.  If the roof blows off, not so much.  Be safe, everyone, and thank you David for hurricane experience advice!

Aug 26, 11 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

We picked all the apples off our small apple tree this morning ahead of the impending storm. She gave us a couple of bushel of apples, so Mrs has been busy distrubuting them to friends and even took  a box full to the gym with her this morning.  I have also cleaned all the lawn furniture off the patio and  parked the cars such that a tree will most likely not fall on them.  I know our neighbor is going to loose a massive tree. It currently has a split at least 6' long in the main trunk.  It is an ole swamp maple so when the wind kicks up and starts twisting the trees.....It will be best to be a long way from the action.  My really only concern is our back yard fence. I have a feeling I will be rebuilding it this Fall after the storm. Oh ya stocked up on beer, wine and absolute so we should fair well.  I also filled all of our 5 gallon water jugs just incase we loose power for any extended time, and filled up an extra propane tank so we can use the barbie, if need be.

The first bit of rain hit us  at about noon, so Irene be on her way.

Be safe people.  I'm glad Gin is no longer in NYC...this would have been a real pain in the ass for him.

Aug 27, 11 1:40 pm  · 
 · 

Hang in there, snook!  Glad you are so well prepared!

Aug 27, 11 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

The most current info about rain fall is 11 inches in 12 hours....could be called a soaker.

I'm glad the rivers elevation is 200' below where our lil stone shack is situated.

Aug 27, 11 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

The "hurricane" is under 80mph now. Kinda wimpy. I have morning farts stronger than that. 

Aug 27, 11 7:59 pm  · 
 · 

Well then head on over to the east coast and push Irene back out to sea, rust.

Aug 27, 11 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I'll do it in the morning.

Aug 27, 11 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Apparently, as part of NYC's great storm freakout of '11, all elevators in the city must be shut down. Any NYCers who live on high floors?

I always wanted to say "I live on a 36th story walk-up".

Aug 27, 11 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

I'm still alive after a 2 day 106 mile cycling extravaganza.

Hope everyone is staying dry and safe.  Is that really true rusty!?  I find that hard to believe... but then again they did stop the mass transit systems which seemed kinda overkill.

Aug 28, 11 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

oh makes perfect sense to me - you don't want anyone out and about. If you really want a snoozer read a city ordinance on elevators.... makes you wonder which idiot would sign to it.  Hurricanes are tornadoes crazy step mothers - you know they are coming and try as you might to prepare for their arrival there is fuck all that you can do other than hold tight and wait for it pass.

Aug 28, 11 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Logic behind elevator shutdown order is that NYFD would be too busy as it is to bother rescuing stranded elevator passengers. Makes sense if the fatass tornado delivered on the destruction promise.

NYC damage due to storm:

Aug 29, 11 12:05 am  · 
 · 

Jeez - he's middle aged and scruffy and sloppily dressed and still, every time I see him, I get breathless and giddy.  Even without the stories of how he's saved a woman from being trampled.

Aug 29, 11 10:39 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

We survived...had the tree in the neighbors yard lost on fricking big branch...I'm glad it fell away from our property.  Our back yard stockade fence has become an official Fall project.

Aug 29, 11 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Really, Donna?  He's got puffy cheeks.

Aug 29, 11 11:24 am  · 
 · 

That's jawline.  Yowza.

Aug 29, 11 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Agreed Donna.

Sorry he fence fell down snook.

Aug 29, 11 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Although it has nothing to do with the hurricanes or Mr. Pitt, you guys are the ones I think will appreciate the link the most.  Space Oddity Book.  Would have been handy when Abram was younger.  He used to insist that I sing all his books!

Aug 29, 11 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

donna,

is it at all weird that i thought you were talking about the guy in front whom I thought to be a well-built peter gabriel? or a peter gabriel on roids if you will?

it made a lot more sense after i looked at the second guy in the photo.

Aug 29, 11 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
postal

AWESOME LINK SARAH!

Aug 29, 11 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Thank You, Thank You.

Aug 29, 11 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

I thought the guy in front looks a little like Jean Reno in the professional - another major dreamboat for me.

Sarah I get a downtime error whenever I click - will try again later.

Aug 29, 11 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

sort of like this but with more hair?

Aug 29, 11 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Very cool link SH.

Brad Pitt.  Peter Gabriel, Jan Reno... very nice on the eyes, indeed.

Aug 29, 11 8:42 pm  · 
 · 

woh, i am starting to look like peter gabriel!  aaargh!

Aug 29, 11 8:43 pm  · 
 · 

Separated at birth, totally:

I loved that thread.

Aug 29, 11 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

rusty has his own thread!

Aug 30, 11 1:52 am  · 
 · 

morning all, that rusty! thread is awesomesauce. 

do people still use that phrase on internets?

Aug 30, 11 8:43 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Well, Nam, you just did, and you are "people" right?  Or are you a cyborg?  Crap.  Did I just blow your cover?  Please don't send any drones after me.  I'm sorry.

Aug 30, 11 9:53 am  · 
 · 

you are safe for now.

Aug 30, 11 9:59 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

i for one know that Nam is probably a cyborg, but doesn't kill every human he meets...and that some cyborgs can definitely party.

Aug 30, 11 10:37 am  · 
 · 

lars, i can definitely party often to hard :p

Aug 30, 11 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Do you think cyborgs would need some sort of drinking encoding so that they can appear drunk at parties, even though they wouldn't actually be able to get drunk?  Maybe something like:

two drinks = talk more energetically

4 drinks = talk louder, and laugh loudly and often

6 drinks = veer sideways when walking

Aug 30, 11 11:02 am  · 
 · 
postal

hmm, so this whole rusty business reminds me of the week mdler and tumbles decided to take over the forum.  somehow I found their hijacks a little more hilarious (at the start) than whatever rusty is trying to accomplish.  although, perhaps i was just younger back then.

Aug 30, 11 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Pardon this bit of off topic linking, but I thought was was very Archinect...

It's way too expensive for my kid, but Eames House Blocks would rock.  Then again, knowing that a child is going to slobber all over them, chew on them, and who knows what else, maybe they should just go on the shelf.

Aug 30, 11 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
postal

oh sarah, have you stumbled upon designer furniture for kids?  Part of me thinks it would be cool to put a kid in a designer chair with some black rimmed glasses.  The other part of me thinks that's probably the worst way to blow money.  knoll kids and little nest  ...this all unusually interests me as our first is on the way... I should also mention Sarah, that I really enjoyed the pregnancy thread you had going a while back.  (I think that was you.)  It's helped me prepare as a husband I think a bit.  It's interesting that something so commonplace (having kids) can feel so unfamiliar.  It feels like there should be a 2 yr associates degree with giving birth to a kid.  How are you supposed to know all this stuff.  If the kid is ok after a year, you should get some kind of certification or diploma.  And parenting, I guess you don't really graduate from that program.  

anyway, my kid ain't getting a jacobsen/saarinen chair before I get mine!

Aug 30, 11 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

archinect used to have a chatroom. I think we should bring back the chatroom just for rusty.

and back then a basic discussion on office wardrobe ended much more creatively.

the internet never forgets.

Aug 30, 11 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Thanks, Postal.  And no, the link is to a set of ABC blocks, but only sort of.  Still, I think they want 175 bucks for it or something.

Aug 30, 11 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
dia

goneski

Aug 30, 11 10:55 pm  · 
 · 

the eames blocks are cool but not cool enough to pay that much.  i own two of the knoll kids chairs though.    they are pretty comfy actually.  i like the furniture my daughter made the best though.

Aug 31, 11 6:35 am  · 
 · 

Yep.  That was fun, if odd.  A new phase starts.

Aug 31, 11 7:08 am  · 
 · 

so, it appears that the rusty thread was deleted... was rusty banished along with it?

Aug 31, 11 7:54 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Speaking of expensive ABC Blocks, I really want these: https://www.sifteo.com/product (electronic ABC blocks don't look so expensive at $149 anymore.)

Aug 31, 11 7:56 am  · 
 · 
metal

i guess rusty-musty is gone for now, seems like he was on some pcp the last few days

Aug 31, 11 8:05 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Why does everything happen while I'm asleep at night?  Don't you guys ever go to bed?  Oh, that's right, you're architects.

So the rusty thread was deleted, or is it on another page?  And I see Musty is a new name, is that him?  I'm so confused.

I do wish people would play the "Would You Rather" thread, though.  James Posted, then I Posted, and now people are only choosing.  I guess Donna is right about the humor being gone.  Sniff.

Aug 31, 11 8:59 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Donna, for you...

Aug 31, 11 10:09 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I guess Donna is right about the humor being gone.

I wonder if the youngsters no longer see public forums as a means to anonymously connect with people - they already have their social networks

Aug 31, 11 11:24 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Toaster, you may be on to something.  

Aug 31, 11 11:52 am  · 
 · 
****melt

I'm still thinking of a "would you rather" senario.  My creativity today is rather lacking.

Aug 31, 11 11:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: