Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

****melt

I'd love to see photos Lars when it's done.  Reminds me of a poster I saw at a local coffe shop that has about 100 chairs on it from different designers and architects.  Love, love love that poster.  Wish I knew where to find it.

Jul 19, 11 8:47 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

erin sorry bout your crackup. techno that's cool. donna that's cool. manta that's cool. sarah that's cool. barry that's cool. phillip thats cool. orhan that's cool.  sorry you all are broiling this summer. i think its cooler here than in indianastan. the song to replay over and over again....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrffDM3hHk8

Jul 19, 11 9:18 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

melt, this poster?

Jul 19, 11 9:25 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Yes.  Had I not been with friends I probably would have stared at it all evening.

Jul 19, 11 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

That's a lot of furniture, Rusty.  Wow.

So I topped out at 330 yesterday.  Pretty intense.  Wonder how many will come back.

Vado, what's the temp there?  It's been 100, but heat index of 110 here for a month.  I realized this morning, while mowing the lawn, or, the dirt out front, that a horse would break their ankle in the cracks we have.  Glad I don't own a horse farm.  I wonder if the ranchers are all out plowing fields to save from having to put down their horses.  Strange to think that severe drought can make you lose a horse.

Jul 19, 11 10:23 am  · 
 · 
elinor

erin, that is awful! glad to hear you are well, though.

and lars, please start wearing a helmet!!  as someone who frequently drives a car here, seeing a cyclist without a helmet weaving around my car is one of the scariest things about driving in nyc, since they move quickly in and out of visibility and often pop out of nowhere...

Jul 19, 11 11:03 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I wear my bicycle helmet every single time, but I am yet to get run over by a car of fall off on my own accord. Logic says helmet was a superfluous purchase. Yet my non-helmet wearing friends get into accidents all the time. I should sell my helmet to one of them.   

Jul 19, 11 11:57 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Elinor - I feel the exact same way here in the Queen City.  I cringe everytime, especially when they decide to run through a red light and turn when it disctinctly says no turns are allowed. It also makes me incredibly nervous after the sun has gone down and they are riding wearing all dark colors and have no flashing tail lights.  Ya... I kid you not.  But then again, I live up near campus and most of them think they are invincible at that age.

rusty!  Please keep wearing the helmut.  You're noggin' ain't as hard as you think it is.

Jul 19, 11 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Lookout!  Another rfuller sighting!

Jul 19, 11 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

How many profs do we have on the 'Nect these days?  I've had some recent life changes and I've decided to do what I want to do and not just what will make me the most money.  I really want to teach.  I have for years.  Is it something you guys would recommend or advise against?  Any tips on how to get in to being a professor?  I've got some meetings set up at my old university.  I just wanted an outsider's perspective.  

Jul 19, 11 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

rfuller - teaching rocks! (but maybe that depends on the school). different mind set, but seeing student's succeed is just as rewarding as seeing a project built. drop me a note if you want some more tidbits from the trenches. recently wrote about the academic job search I just went through here: http://bit.ly/pZv3fx

Jul 19, 11 1:28 pm  · 
 · 

thats the best way to get into teaching rfuller.  the gig i have now was one i applied for because i wanted to do research (i know it's a dirty word to some, but what the fuck, i say).  But the other jobs i had at school were all invited by network of colleagues.  these latter tend to not pay very well but are the most flexible.  not sure which way is best to go. 

full-time teaching is a much more difficult gig to get but i guess the only way to start is with the pt stuff.  out here a phd is mandatory even for part-time teachers, and a license is not out of place as well.  i hear in the usa it is not so strict but getting more so...

have fun.

@ rusty, can i have yor helmet?

@ the chair people.  nice.  best exhibit ever is the one where you get to sit in them just to feel what its like. 

@ my mom.  the canadian embassy just dropped me a note saying i should let you know the upcoming typhoon will be massive but we are not dead and will be safe.

@fukushima farmers, why the hell did you leave the feed out in the radioactive rain and then sell your beef to the rest of the country?  i know farmer does not equal stupid so really wtf?

Jul 19, 11 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

yeah, unfortunately I was not wearing my helmet. I own one and have kind of gone through phases of using it and then phases of not. Pretty needless to say, this is the beginning of a pretty long phase of use, because I don't really fancy feeling this way again. Jump, waking up in the ambulance was indeed quite scary. Fortunately I was so in and out of things though, that I didn't really start experiencing time and consciousness continuously until hours later in the hospital, around which point the manfriend showed up, which definitely helped the comfort level just knowing that someone who WAS continuously conscious was there looking out for me. I can't imagine getting up and having to walk home with the bike after that! I hope your head injury level was a bit lower than mine, cause that seems totally unmanageable to me.

Jul 19, 11 2:16 pm  · 
 · 

rfuller... like barry i really enjoy teaching... i left a VERY well paying job back in florida to start my phd 3 years ago, and while it would be nice to be a little more financially stable, i wouldn't really go back... teaching studio is particularly rewarding because of the amount of one-on-one contact with students, but i also really enjoy lecture/seminar classes as well... that said, it is certainly difficult to get your foot in the door, especially without an ivy league school or starchitect name on your resume... that's actually part of the reason that i decided to do the phd... i'm currently teaching as a part time adjunct at a public university... unfortunately the pay is REALLY low... like, ridiculously low... starting salaries for assistant professors at public universities tend to be in the $55-60K ballpark, which i look forward to eventually getting after "paying my dues" as an adjunct...

Jul 19, 11 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

oh yeah... also, it really does seem to be all about personal connections... my adjunct gig actually evolved out of meeting someone at a party... i went to a party at a colleague's house (actually her 2-year-old daughter's birthday party) where i met a friend of the first friend who taught at the university that i now teach at... she invited me to a few of her reviews... the next semester she was the studio coordinator for 2nd year students and wanted me to teach one of the studio sections... she introduced me to the chair of the department who then asked me to teach a different studio instead... this fall will be my second year there and i'll be teaching two courses: graduate thesis prep and an undergraduate modern history/theory lecture...

Jul 19, 11 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

Erin - that was quite a concussion. Hope you fully recover and can start biking (with helmet) again.

Phil - the assistant prof salary range seem more like $55-$70k (a phD may help land at the higher end), but mostly it depends on the institution.

Emily - what do you know about the 2030 District?

Jul 19, 11 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I wish I could teach at Uni level, but HS is pretty fun too.  Problem with HS is that it depends on public money and politics more.  Bummer.

Rfuller, aren't you a Raider?  Would you try to change the way the school is set up, or have they already?

Erin, the details are terrifying.  Wow.

And I need help from you guys.  My 5th anniversary is Friday, and I have no idea what to get Husband.  Nothing like waiting until the last minute I know.  Every year he hasn't really been enthused to get what I've given him.  First year I put together a framed photo thing, second year I gave him some shirts and a handmade necklace to wear his ring on  — which he doesn't, I don't remember the third year, and last year was the flask.  Tradition says to give wood, or something made of wood, rather.  Donna, what did, or would you give your husband?  He's a car guy, maybe they have similar personalities.  

But help from any of you would be much appreciated.

Jul 19, 11 3:49 pm  · 
 · 

happy anniversary sarah!  sorry no ideas. i struggle as much as you, sadly.  am sure there are gifted people out there for whom such things roll off the.....hm, what would such a thing roll off of?  well whatever.  you know what i mean.

@ erin, that sounds much better.  my brain was mostly misty from shock and from pain all over my body than from a smack to the noggin,  so i was lucky.

@ philip that is pretty much exactly my experience with entering teaching.  except that i was considered briefly to teach at my alma mater and that was most easy  path to follow (in the end timing wasn't right).  my salary as low-level research lecturer is not so high either, but better than most schools cuz i am in a private university.  the difference between public and private is pretty big i am finding.  the kinds of work that private schools do is different though, which is also a consideration.  Also i got into the current gig because they simply needed someone like me as far as i can tell, and there aren't that many people like me in tokyo.  pure luck. like all big opportunities randomness is the decider.  annoying, eh.

Jul 19, 11 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

@jump, I'm sending you my helmet then. As far as customization goes, you can either have a Godzilla sticker, or a sticker of radioactive cow. Either way when they see you rolling, little girls be running the other way in pure terror.

@Sarah. Can't go wrong with erotic cake. Ties in nicely with your 'wood' theme.  

Jul 19, 11 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

So I just got a lead on a construction management position at a large retail firm located here.  I'm almost certain I would have a good chance at getting the position because they've been clients for two places I've worked and I've worked on their accounts.  The only thing is I'm not sure I wanna do construction management but it's guaranteed to pay better.  Hmmmmm....

Jul 19, 11 8:29 pm  · 
 · 

DO IT!!

Jul 19, 11 9:51 pm  · 
 · 

you can do it!

cheers rusty.  funny enough i already have a radioactive cow t-shirt so that would be great. i could totally match.  does it glow in the dark?

Jul 19, 11 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Totally do it! The only risk you run is never being able to jump back into 'design' ever again, but what the hey.

jump, no. The helmet doesn't glow, but it has some brain matter on the inside. I found it on the street. It used to be a pasta strainer, I think. The speed holes totally work though.

How much you want for the cow tee?

Jul 19, 11 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

@ sarah the temp today was only in the low 90's with a breezy breeze.

Jul 20, 11 12:07 am  · 
 · 

cow shirts are impossible to price rusty.  the helmet sounds good.

actually i just learned of a cardboard reinforced helmet that works better than the stuff usually used.  gonna get me one a them.

Jul 20, 11 2:43 am  · 
 · 

jump you got a picture of the cardboard helmet? If Gehry can make a chair out of it right?

Barry re: the 2030 District from their site it looks like they are using the Architecture 2030 Challenge for their performance goals/planning.

So you might want to shoot Quilian an email as he has been working closely with Ed and the 2030 group for awhile now.

mornign all.

Jul 20, 11 8:04 am  · 
 · 
****melt

I'm doing it.  Was working on my resume last evening.  It's long, two pages and I'm still not finished.  I don't know how to shorten it, though with having six or more jobs since I graduated in 1999.  I haven't even gotten to inserting everything I do at my current position.  Ugh.

Jul 20, 11 8:40 am  · 
 · 
****melt

If I get this job I feel like I've put the last nail in the coffin and am stuck doing retail forever... something I was so hoping to move out of one day.  Oh well.

Jul 20, 11 8:42 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

In my opinion the fact that it's construction management will be what future interviewers will see, not the "retail" part.  Construction is construction is construction, and it's gonna look great on your resume that you actually know how to build.  I've gotten my share of jobs simply because I had a ton of CA experience and the other candidates didn't.

If you have a lot of different firms on your resume but you did similar things at each, and they were all low-level (just intern), just condense them to one line.  The only experience you usually need to elaborate on is your upper-level (project management) experience.

That said, at this stage of the game personally I feel it is appropriate to be on two pages.  Be concise but don't do yourself a disservice and inadvertently make yourself look like a younger, less experienced candidate than you really are.  Only in this field do we seem to have a weird obsession with 1-page resumes... now that I'm outside the field I've had lots of people give me a weird reaction to that.  ("Why would you want it to be only one page?"  "uhhh... I thought that was the goal...."  "No.")  These other professions have the right idea in my humble opinion. 

Jul 20, 11 8:56 am  · 
 · 

mantaray is brilliant as always.

melt, I actually dream of going into the construction side of things.  I'll live vicariously though your experience if you continue to share here on TC!

Jul 20, 11 9:56 am  · 
 · 

i was surprised by my dad's resume years back, cuz it was 6 pages long. after 30 years and 3 or 4 related careers it was how much space he needed. 

non-radioactive non cow cardboard helmet better than plastic they say

Jul 20, 11 10:19 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I've been really grumpy around archinect lately - will try to be more positive (and apologies to those I've acted dickish to).

erin- scary.  I've been in a couple bike accidents, but nothing where I lost consciousness.    glad to hear you're ok.

melt - agreed with manta - construction experience is huge.  I know lack of CA experience has held me back in many ways in the past - not only for jobs, but as a project manager and as a designer.  I really don't understand why some firms don't bother sending their entry-level people out in the field more often... it's the easiest way of making them more useful.

Jul 20, 11 10:26 am  · 
 · 

OK, well just about ANYTHING is better than plastic, and pretty much everything is better than radioactive cow, and cardboard is a favorite material for most, so seems like a good option.

But rusty, if you give away your helmet you will immediately have a bike accident.  So please keep it and use it.

Jul 20, 11 10:58 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I don't get why young architects don't get to go to job sites either. It's unfortunate for them and the industry in general. And people wonder why architects lack practical construction knowledge. Because we don't consider it part of our job of course!

Go for it melt!

I woke up a hospital once, after being in and out of unconscious for a few days with a severe bacterial infection. I only knew people had been there because there flowers by the bed. It was when I was in college on a super hot day in July, like we are having now. I barely remember calling 911 and telling them I didn't feel well and the firemen coming into my apartment, picking me up off the bathroom floor and carrying me out to the ambulance. Scary. Glad you are recovering, Erin. I will ride with my helmet from now on too. I never used to.

Jul 20, 11 11:00 am  · 
 · 
n_

n_ Motherly Comment of the Day: WEAR YOUR BIKE HELMET! 

No matter how in control you think you are on your bicycle or how comfortable you are on a bicycle, the truth is that you aren't your biggest risk.  The automobiles, pedestrians, curbs, sidewalks, everything around you become your biggest risk and you have little control over them.  I was in a major bike accident that left me with a chipped skull (and a lovely hospital stay for a number of days).  If I was wearing a helmet, the damage would have been minimal.  I am very, very, very fortunate that it wasn't worse, although it was still really bad. Wear a bike helmet, kids.

@erin, get better!

@*m, good luck!

@ Sarah, do something with the number 5! Or get 5 of everything...like 5 different cupcake flavors - time consuming, yes but thoughtful.  Or 5 different books.  Or 5 different albums. 

@ everyone else, hello!

Jul 20, 11 11:30 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Manta/Donna - two of my previous positions were prior to my career change/decision to go back to school for interiors.  I've condensed them, but not as much as I probably could.  I'm a history major at heart so I always seem to be long winded in any written form. 

It's good to know that CA in retail does not mean I'll be stuck in retail forever.  Funny... when I went to school for interiors I never pictured myself ever doing anything else but space planning and selecting finishes and furniture.  In any case, I;m counting my chickens before they hatching anyway.  I need to stop getting ahead of myself.

Jul 20, 11 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

hi n_ and toast!

Jul 20, 11 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

hi nam!

hey landscape people - I'm looking for resources on permaculture "guilds" for edible landscapes - specifically for the northeastern US, but would also be interested in examples elsewhere.

Jul 20, 11 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

melt - there's another way to think about spending some time in CM.

If you play your cards right, that sort of experience can open doors for you -- even leading to an expanded role as a decision maker on the Owner's side of the table. There, you'd have much more 'real' control over the design of projects than is likely to ever occur in the role of a designer.  Of course, that'd also mean you were fighting the war as a 'general' instead of a 'private' -- causing you to function more at arms-length from the design and working through others. But, that has real appeal to some. 

Jul 20, 11 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I think the term is "food forest."

Jul 20, 11 2:55 pm  · 
 · 

piero is the new per, and man o man do I love having him around!

Apropos of nothing, I love a good "...that's what she said!" joke, and I love a good "I got your ___ right here, pal." joke.  I think of both of these jokes as typical construction site humor, and for some reason, toaster, when I read your last post my first thought was "I got your food forest right here, pal.".  I have no idea why, and I hope that doesn't ruin your current good mood!  FWIW, I haven't noticed you being dickish at all.

This heat, honestly.  I'm ready to move to Tragic City.

Jul 20, 11 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

Donna where is the tragic city?

Jul 20, 11 4:21 pm  · 
 · 

toast not sure what you mean by permaculture guilds. locally we have a couple of organizations such as  Grow Gainesville

Jul 20, 11 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Try dealing with this heat sans car A/C.  My compressor broke last year and I've been putting off getting it fixed.  Fortunately last weekend, I bought the part online and my mechanic is set to install it next Tuesday.... just in time for the weather to break.  Grrrr.

Jul 20, 11 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

what's this? rex is posting listings requiring professional degrees in architecture?  i guess the non-architects he was hiring didn't work out?

(sorry, couldn't resist a little snark)

my car ac hasn't worked in months...actually, it works fine, but floods the floor under the passenger seat with water.  the last couple of weeks, i've decided that a potential rusted-out hole in the car floor is preferable to the 110 degree heat index.....

i also don't have ac in my apartment...the grossest thing about this heat is that i washed my hair, and it just never dried. 

Jul 20, 11 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

ps, best to you, melt!

Jul 20, 11 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

nam - in permaculture a "guild" is a group of organisms that benefit from one another - the only one I can think of pertaining to food are the three sisters.

Jul 20, 11 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

anybody know where that cardboard bike helmet is for sale? I want one!

toaster, there are tons of 'companion planting' suggestions/guides out there if you look.

Jul 20, 11 5:44 pm  · 
 · 

toaster now I'm utterly confused - Three Sisters is a lesbian-run organic breakfast restaurant near me.  What are they in the food world?

nam, Tragic City is Traverse City, Michigan, where my husband grew up and where it frequently snows in May.  Or it used to, anyway.

Jul 20, 11 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
file

elinor: your car a/c probably has a clogged condensate drain line -- that's usually a very easy and inexpensive fix -- my guy typically just blows high-pressure air up the line and clears it out -- takes about 30 seconds.

Jul 20, 11 6:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: