Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

David Cuthbert

Oh and a note about Aldi. They maintain lower costs for a variety of reasons (location of the stores and different model to typical franchises). Two other contributing reasons are buying surplus from food packagers ie. items not sold to [insert large conglomerate here]. Same food, same content, slapped with a label like Fit & Active their health food line. The other is buying locally farmed - coops or excess fresh food. The volume of fresh food is likely to be significantly less than at supermarkets. But the prices at Aldi are not much different from those at Publix 

Oh and that information I found from a report published in a medical journal about the healthiest places to source food

Jul 12, 11 5:33 pm  · 
 · 

So the last couple of posts were made from my alternate archinect log-in and I didn't even realize. The difference? This one has my ugly mug attached to it

Jul 12, 11 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

vado, that sounds terrible.  and frankly, not too difficult.  i watched a fashion design show (on sundanc, i think) where there was a team of experts trying to help struggling designers become more successful.  one guy deemed this woman's clothing line to be 'architectural' and took her on a walk around ny with a camera...showed her things like the chrysler bldg and that gehry building on the west side highway that whatshisname hates...i was there rolling my eyes the entire time.  she really didn't sound too bright, and when she said she was going to design a line based on the buildings, i was ready for a total train wreck.  but--she totally nailed it!  she put together a line that was really cool as clothing, but definitely borrowed form, structure, and image from the buildings she looked at.  i was totally impressed.

Jul 12, 11 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

Jul 12, 11 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

all the mc australia episodes are on youtube. 

the prob the woman had was she didn't have enough time for her cake to cool off. it was a bad idea from the get go and only got worse. the level of cooking on that show is far above the american version. 

Jul 12, 11 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

not bullshit, david. i'm just an architect, while donna's an instructor. i.e., i don't teach there any more, i just visit.  

Jul 12, 11 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

I usually don't watch cooking reality TV (the whole point of watching cooking channels for me is to not get into the drama!)  but have been following Masterchef this time around. Sarah, I actually thought the architect is one of the likable people on the show - and not because she's an architect. I thought Max was pretentious.

BTW, random cooking tip after mention of canned chicken for chicken salad; I used to work at a deli where we sold some famous chicken salad. Waldorf chicken salad with the fruit, nuts and whatnot has its place, but what we made was simple and awesome. The key was to bake the chicken breast with bone in and skin on. Once it cools we picked out just the good stuff and shred it fine. Celery, Mayo, little salt and pepper, and you got some good stuff.

Jul 12, 11 10:20 pm  · 
 · 

I'm curious, elinor, what you imagined Steven and me to look like?

On the chicken slaughtering: jump, husband built a chicken plucker for a friend and partook in the actual slaughtering (chicken in a traffic cone up[side down, slit the throat).   I didn't, but since getting the chickens have thought about the ax inn the garage and whether it would work.  I hope I never have to, frankly, but I'm sure I'll be able to if the need arises.

David, it's nice to see you!

Jul 12, 11 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

not bad, just...i don't know...a bit older. you guys look like grad students!!

Jul 13, 11 12:42 am  · 
 · 

everyone looks young nowadays!  nowadays everyone gets to be Methuselah ;-)

ok that ain't true.  but I'll pretend.

sounds like an amazing rig donna.  gramma told me she used to just strangle the chickens herself though it is hard to imagine her doing it she so sweet to look at. 

Jul 13, 11 1:08 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Phil, Max is definitely pretentious.  So much so that he's a comic character to me.

Donna, I saw a blog online about backyard chicken slicing.  Maybe I should find it for you.

And Ax Inn sounds cool and creepy  all at the same time.

Jul 13, 11 8:19 am  · 
 · 

Yeah, ax Inn.  That was a funny typo!  We have a bar in town called The Sinking Ship that is about to close, a friend posted that they made a "descent" martini, which made me giggle.

Meetings all day every day lately - that's what I get for being out of town!

Jul 13, 11 8:33 am  · 
 · 
****melt

no kidding jump - this weekend while riding someone asked my age and when I told them I was 35 they nearlyfell of the bike.  She thought I was around her niece's age... who is a junior in college.  WTF?  I'm aware I look young, but that's a little ridiculous.

Donna - why would you ever need to slaughter your chickens?  I thought they were egg layers.  I talked to a woman this weekend that has chickens too.  She's lost a few to racoons.  I told her about your hawk ordeal.  Hope your girls are doing well.

Jul 13, 11 8:36 am  · 
 · 

Morning all!

Hi David nice to see your mug around these parts.I too am thinking of a move but sometime next year, maybe.....

And since I know how much you all enjoy pre-designed house plan packages....

Jul 13, 11 8:39 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh, I simply love the little roof extensions on those wing walls.  And those windows at the top mean it's an architect's residence for sure.

Donna, the Sinking Ship story is funny on all accounts.  Sucks to hear, though.

Jul 13, 11 9:30 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Is this interior designer's assumptions correct in that you should not take a 3 5/8" metal stud all the way up to deck when it's at 28' AFF?  The fixture plan I received from the client shows the wall as 5".  I've beefed it up with a 6" stud @ 16 O.C.  It's been a while since I've worked with such high decks.

Jul 13, 11 10:00 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I've heard stories about my grandfather butchering chickens and that he would blow into the windpipe to make funny noises.

Jul 13, 11 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

*M, you can also spec heavier gauge studs along with bracing above the floating ceiling (if there is one).

david, drop me a note before starting the tenure-track search (or will you be following the missus? 

nam, that is such an 80s house - those roof extensions are brilliant!

as I'm wrapping up my time at the U, I'm gifting the dean and my dept chair with some photos from back in grad school - looking at the prints has been a trip down memory lane. At least I finally bothered to scan most of them (so stay tuned for a blog post). 

Jul 13, 11 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Thanks Barry - There is no ceiling above but there is a cooler and an empty space behind.  I'm guessing the smaller metal stud in a heavier gauge would be more cost effective than the larger stud, no?

Jul 13, 11 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

*m, thicker steel will save floor space (which is my interpretation to why going with 6" studs was axed), but may cost more. it comes down to the physics of stiffness of a shape. but ask a structural engineer or a rep for their suggestion for 28' tall walls (damn that's tall!)

Jul 13, 11 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

Barry - well it's a chicken & the egg deal (sorry Donna bad pun). The missus and I are both interested in Cali - me for PhD, she for work/fellowship. It's an undaunting task to get there since applications need to be in from early December for admission in Fall 2012. 

And I got some great news today. My logbook for my Architect's Registration was approved; as was the outline for my Case Study. That's step 1.5 

Jul 13, 11 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

david - are you trying to get licensed in the states?

and PhD - non architecture?  I have a friend who has been working on her dissertation for the past three years - it does not seem appealing to me at all.

Jul 13, 11 4:56 pm  · 
 · 

28' is indeed a tall wall.  You're right to be concerned, melt.  If possible, get an engineer.

Jul 13, 11 5:14 pm  · 
 · 

David, good luck! yes the application process is daunting, but no worse that landing a tenure-track gig. Too bad Cal Poly doesn't seem to offer PhD's. But are you thinking northern or southern cali?

Jul 13, 11 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

David, do I understand correctly that you have to complete a Case Study in order to get registered in Jamaica?  Curious!

Feel free to email me re: the signage project.  I promise I'm happy to share, even if I've been too swamped (ugh) to get back to *m on the subject!  (I'm sorry melt!!!! I haven't forgotten you!)

Jul 13, 11 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

congrats David and did you mean daunting?

Jul 13, 11 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

sounds exciting things in the future for you david

the system in jamaica is based on the UK system?

reciprocity in usa is another challenge to throw on the pile.  makes me shudder to think about what my license is worth if i ever go back to NA.  would you work on getting license in USA too david?  maybe while doing phd...

Jul 13, 11 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

sounds like you might want to do some bracing to keep the wall framing to a 3.625. that is if you have the room. 

Jul 13, 11 10:09 pm  · 
 · 

Hey all. The license/registration is for Jamaica. The process in a nutshell post-grad school is 2 years minimum with a registered architect with the hours logged - specific tasks 32 in total from pre to post project. Then a case study on a project done in your office - not specific that you've worked on it but it must be 75% complete by submission of study. Case Study looks at pre- to post contract. On approval of that stage you become eligible for the examination - contract law, architect's ethics, etc done over 6 hours. Upon approval you do an interview - the final step and throw back from the old process. 

I'll be looking to "extend" my registration to wherever I am. I've looked into California and there are precedents set. Because we follow some mandate set by UIA etc it's supposed to be administrative only. We'll see.

My heart is set on Berkley (N.Cali) there's a stream that investigates Environmental Design in Developing Countries - right up my alley.

And yes Nam, daunting... I've always had a spoonerism of sorts with that word. 

Jul 13, 11 10:45 pm  · 
 · 

David Environmental Design in Developing Countries sounds interesting...

night all.

Jul 13, 11 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Orhan, fun video. I previously wondered how Jane jacob's ideas would have worked in a city like LA. She proved, on a number of occasions that removal of main traffic arteries had a negligible effect on local traffic. Mostly NYC. I bet LA would quickly turn into a mad max backdrop with 405 shut down. 

melt, 28 foot high non structural stud wall sounds crazy. It would have to be at least partially suspended from the ceiling. Even CMU walls have to be structurally reinforced at half that height. 

Jul 14, 11 1:25 am  · 
 · 

the administrative switching of licenses sounds fantastic david.  i hope it is really that easy. am skeptical but would be totally thrilled if it worked out that way for you.

saw that in the news orhan.  very coolio.  nice experiment.

Jul 14, 11 3:18 am  · 
 · 

I think the Mulholland Drive overpass figured significantly in the book Foxes based on the movie starring Jodie Foster and Cherie Currie from the late 70s.

Jul 14, 11 8:19 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Thanks all for the help. 

So David, what is the plan for you and the missus between now and the fall of 2012?

Manta - I was wondering what happened.  Figured you had found a better offer from someone who lived nearby.  No worries though.

Jul 14, 11 8:34 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

David - first step to becoming Californian: stop saying "cali" ;-)

Berkeley is lovely.  I grew up there... and miss it for all the world.  Would do anything I could to get back.  Unfortunately when you have a partner you sometimes wake up and find yourself tied down to some place you never imagined you'd even visit, much less be stuck in for the rest of your life... ah well.  Maybe some day I will make it back to my beloved bay.

Evn design in developing countries sounds utterly fascinating.  Please find a way to do this so you can teach the rest of us!!

Jul 14, 11 9:32 am  · 
 · 

I agree with everyone that the env design/developing countries focus sounds fascinating.

Also: it's amazing how frequently a significant other leads people to places they never imagined going.  I see it in so many of the professionals we have come speak to my ProPrac students.  Speaking of which, I need to submit my syllabus for that course. Better go work on it.

But first: I took Angus to day camp this morning (he's learning electric guitar this week!) but we arrived early so we took the dog for a walk in the woods behind the facility.  Angus told me he knew there was a "hobo firepit" under the bridge at the end of the path and was excited to show me.  Well we rounded the bridge abutment and Angus stopped short and went "Agh!".  Turns out we woke up a guy sleeping there...we apologized and left him alone to continue sleeping, and the whole way back to camp we talked about how we made the decision to have a home and how fortunate we are that it's working out for us, how some people make the choice NOT to live a life similar to ours, and we shouldn't judge that, and how some people are down on their luck and are working to improve things for themselves, and we should try to help if we can.  All in all a good conversation and "teaching moment", plus Angus has learned to be more careful when exploring under bridges (which is an interest I want him to keep - I loved exploring as a kid, and still do).

Jul 14, 11 9:41 am  · 
 · 

david,the school i am teaching at now has one of the profs building a school in the congo. 

he builds one building on the campus every year and says each time he goes back the chinese are more present, mostly building roads and other infrastructure.  apparently the chinese have been doing something very different than the belgian colonial powers ever did.  it's very interesting stuff.  this year they are going to install solar panels because there is a problem with power outages to overcome.  the students will be doing a mock up on the campus here in japan next week i think.

education of architects today is very different from what it used to be.

@ donna, that is totally true.  i moved to japan the first time in '91 cuz my girlfriend had a job here.  before that i was thinking halifax might be nice, or possibly london.  all major changes in life seem to be random...

Jul 14, 11 10:14 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Oh geez.... my pops just requested to be my friend on Facebook.  Now what do I do?

Jul 14, 11 11:41 am  · 
 · 
elinor

friend him...isn't it about time he knows who you REALLY are??  :)  Facebook has been great for my relationship with my mother-in-law...we never got along before, but since we're on facebook, we've gotten to know each other's interests without my husband getting in the way.  i never expected it, but it's been great.

Jul 14, 11 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I am NOT friends with my mom, or any other people that I wouldn't want to go out to the bar with.  I like to keep my list short.  So family wise, it's just my brother, step-brother, and his wife. Although, Elinor, that's an interesting turn of events.

Donna, are you gonna let Angus befriend the camper?

Jul 14, 11 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

yeah, it's totally freaking my husband out...

Jul 14, 11 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

I did.  It's not like I don't like or don't get along with him, I'm just not sure I want him to be aware of some of the random thoughts I have.  Although he one of the most laid back people I have ever known.  Man of few words, but a good listener.

Jul 14, 11 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

I accept friend requests from all of my family, but put them on the 'limited profile' list so that they can't actually see anything.

Speaking of the facebooks, those who I'm friends with probably already saw that I was in a bike accident last week. I'm back at work now, but drugged up. I could definitely use a nap about now, but I've got more than half of the day still to go...

Jul 14, 11 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

not drugged up, but could use a nap too. can't focus anymore - might be a post-prandial crash or a simple case of being burned out.

Oh, got my tentative teaching assignment for next year. lots of studio time (2nd year, 3rd year, & 4th year undergrad, plus first year MLA).  think one of these may be with Orhan. All these studios will be a different experience then the seminars/lecture courses I've been teaching up north.

Jul 14, 11 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

Teaching with Orhan - what a dream!  Although I am lucky to be teaching with two awesome people this year, too.

My mom is my FB friend.  She's completely cool, so what worries me more is causing her trouble with her siblings via their children (my cousins, who I friend) over my lefty views - most of the extended family is pretty conservative.

Jul 14, 11 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

cool barry.  sounds like it will be a lot of fun.  a lot of studio time though.  how will you find the time to do 2 studios a term (i am guessing that's the split) ?

my mom is also facebook friend.  not a problem at all.  my cousins are too.  it is a cool thing to learn they are all very cool people, at least based on their posts since i haven't seen so many of them for years in person.  s a nice side of facebook.

the new google version of facebook sounds pretty cool though.  up to 10 people in video chat.  anyone here joined the system yet?

Jul 14, 11 7:13 pm  · 
 · 

@ cal poly, the undergrad studios are in the mornings, and grad studios are in the afternoon, so it's possible to teach one of each. This first year, I'm only carrying 2/3rds the normal teaching load with 24 WTUs versus the standard 32 WTUs per year (3 courses per quarter). Just don't ask the connection between WTUs and credit-hours.

got my new 'eco-phone' today! now I'll be able to check my email on the fly (but not archinect or FB since it's not a smart phone).

Jul 14, 11 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

barry, probably 4 th. year interdisciplinary 403 studio. 30 students in groups of 4.. 2 from arch 2 from landarch 1 arch 1 landarch teachers. great studio doing a 10 weeks master plan project.

final quarter for landscape arch students as their team mates have 1 more year to go.

here are some projects..

presentations were at a church in whittier, ca, where the site was and attended by the city officials and community organizations and developers.

Jul 14, 11 7:58 pm  · 
 · 

looking forward to 403! here are my marching orders. It's nice to have

FALL:
301L - MWF 800-1050
510L (2) WITH MILBURN - MW 1200-1620 (SCHEDULED)
WINTER:
402L - MWF 1500-1750
499 - F 1100-1250
SPRING
403L - MWF 1500-1750
203L (WITH UESUGI) - MW 800-1050

Jul 14, 11 8:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: