Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

mightyaa

He's a design professional?  Just keep shipping tan EIFS color samples, vinyl window cut sheets,  frp samples, and 2x4 directional fugly textured lay-in ceiling panels to him (or anything you find particularly aesthetically challenged... "for his next design".  

Or, use your sources and continue to leak to whomever does project lead publications about some project going out to bid (listing him as the contact; phone, email, address)... do various projects types every now and again.

Put out ads that he's hiring home designers and interior designers "no degree required"...  All sorts of wickedness you can do to fill his day with "adventures". 

May 5, 16 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Donna,

put up a fake intern job posting on archinect, require 3 yrs exp and a M.Arch, offer no pay, require a 8.5"x11" head shot, before long the architect vigilantes will be all over him

May 5, 16 4:36 pm  · 
 · 

I met Susan Surface this evening! Last time I ran into her, it was almost ten years ago in NYC.

May 5, 16 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

just a really cool name, Surface.....so 2 days ago dropping off the enterprise car UWS and forgot a check in side door. ran back to get it and this guy who looked just like Jerry Seinfeld comes running into the garagage going "Whose Mercedes is that?" in the Seinfeld voice with his arms and hands asking the quesion. It was Jerry Seinfeld.......then next morning leaving a job site the elevator stops, I have a double take but get on, ask "is this the service elevator?", the tall young man says "you want to go to the basement?" i say yeah sure, he hits B and when he gets off at the elevator at L I say "Have a good one." dumbass (me). next time I am in am elevator with a relative of a presidential candidate I need to be on my toes, but again I was a bit suprised.

May 6, 16 6:51 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

Who on earth sent me this message !!!!!! 

You think students needs fake fuckin' degrees!!! 

"We provide you with legal and accredited degrees from reputable universities and we are the solution for busy adults that do not have time to attend courses and study for exams.diploma, degree, transcripts, and other certificate from Asian, European, American and so on are available.If you buy degree, buy certificate, buy diploma, buy a fake degree, fake degree from our company, we will provide you with reasonably priced and high quality products. 

If you have any interest or needs, 
please contact us soon by Skype: diploma.service or E-mail:topdiplomaservice@outlook.com
More information, Please click our website: http://www.iricocp.com/

This message has been sent to you by an Archinect member via Archinect's "

May 6, 16 8:23 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

That's spam

May 6, 16 8:46 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'm having Goose Island Pils for lunch, that's good, right?

May 6, 16 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

goose island pretty descent. look for Duvels Tripel Hop, its experimental and watch out its 9.5%

May 6, 16 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I choose the pils cuz it's just lunch, don't want to go crazy. 

May 6, 16 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

I had bourbon for lunch. Not a good one, because it was a very old school restaurant bar, but nonetheless. Friday.

I also had a crab cake.

May 6, 16 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

A crab cake in the midwest? At an old school restaurant? You are nuts. 

May 6, 16 4:36 pm  · 
 · 

Indeed! And it was not a very good crab cake either. But it was a good experience. Lots of contractors at the bar, though the majority of them were not drinking.

May 6, 16 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

donna, if you PM us all this guys name and contact info, we will make him a bit shorter. 

May 6, 16 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

the bad bourbon killed the bacteria in the bad crab cakes, its a wash.

May 6, 16 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

we have imitation crab in the midwest.  good stuff, probably not deadly.

i wonder if archinect can be used as a bellwether for the greater economy.  if people actually read balkins posts, that means architects aren't working. 

May 6, 16 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
situationist

Or, use your sources and continue to leak to whomever does project lead publications about some project going out to bid (listing him as the contact; phone, email, address)... do various projects types every now and again.

I'd schedule a bunch of reps of the shittiest products to visit him at the exact same time.

May 7, 16 10:41 am  · 
 · 
Two commercial freelance clients, both just told me they need significant changes to what I've already designed based on the economy growing faster than expected. Dang. I mean it's good, but dang.
May 7, 16 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
I literally just had this conversation:

Contractor: This 12x8 door is expensive; 8 foot tall doors cost a lot.

Me: that dimension says 12'-8". The door rough opening is twelve foot eight inches wide. If you look at the elevation you'll see that it's a regular 7 foot tall pair of doors with sidelights.

Contractor: oh I didn't know there were other drawings besides the floor plan.

------
My expectations are low.
May 7, 16 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
That's just as bad as my "oh we didn't prove the MEP narrative, we just threw a number at it" contractor.
May 7, 16 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
Price instead of prove. I'm in phone.
May 7, 16 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Happy Mothers Day to all the Fine Archinect Ladies!  You are unique, in that you make this profession a better one by being part of it!

May 8, 16 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

re: Philly and AIA convention. wish I was going to be there. Would love to mingle "professionally" with you all...

@beta, you may have already seen this, but seems right up your alley.

I thought potatoes went into the tailpipe...?

Also, do cities, "get" all conventions annually? Seems so, no...

May 9, 16 1:20 am  · 
 · 

Hi all/TC! See you, next week.

May 9, 16 1:20 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

nam, i did catch that yesterday, and i'm all over it.

May 9, 16 5:37 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

beta, check your linkedin mail again. I put another message in there. 

May 9, 16 6:54 am  · 
 · 

Richard's thread on the CBID or whatever has totally turned into Yale Blows. Remember how that one got yanked when people just started posting the most ridiculous images they could find to suck up loading time? Ah, the old days of the internet.

May 9, 16 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Donna, but if that thread disappears, we'll loose all our valuable kangaroo pictures.

May 9, 16 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

if the thread disappears we will lose value insight into how a comedy of errors can happen.

This thread has everything: math errors, code errors, lack of control, free design services, confusion over what actually happened....

May 9, 16 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

agreed shuellmi - there's way to much information on there.  probably should just copy/paste the whole thing onto a word doc to preserve it in case it does get pulled.  but RWCB has already been reported a bunch of times last week so i guess it's been dealt with.  

May 9, 16 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

I shouldn't egg that one on any more Donna - I was attempting to post ridiculous items so people would start ignoring it - hence the xkcd comic and the 1990s WCW history.

I still watch wrestling....

May 9, 16 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Balkinator's thread would make a fine art exhibit.

May 9, 16 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

Despite the ridiculousness of that thread, I do believe there are valuable lessons to be learned by emerging professionals in there. It is a shame they'll have to wade through so much nonsense to find it.

May 9, 16 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

floodplain permits: not chill.

doing an addition.  existing building is over a channelized creek.  city engineers clueless as to size, location, and construction of said culvert (this downtown, btw). 

get culvert surveyed.  12' diameter, outside edge is roughly 8" below FFE of existing building.  existing building is basically falling water, but shittier and for cancer patients.  

city says "thanks for the information!  now we know you need a floodplain permit, nothing can be below 100 year high water.   FFE is 3' below that line.  you're fucked, thanks for paying a private engineer to do our job, have a nice day!"

mfw a variance takes 6 months to process

May 9, 16 4:06 pm  · 
 · 

Ugh. It is true that floodplain permits are NOT chill. Not at all.

May 9, 16 4:32 pm  · 
 · 

Just making sure this thread doesn't drop to page 2.

May 10, 16 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

Great post, Rick.

So remember that permit set I was working an insane amount of hours on? Hasn't been submitted yet because of an issue with the city. Part of me is really ticked off about it, the other part is "well at least it is done".

May 10, 16 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

this made me laugh. and somehow reminded me of what my job is...

http://qz.com/679782/programmers-imagine-the-most-ridiculous-ways-to-input-a-phone-number/

May 10, 16 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

midlander - i saw that a few days ago. I thought it was hilarious and so appropriate for much of architecture

May 10, 16 11:08 pm  · 
 · 

Hi TC!

May 11, 16 1:06 am  · 
 · 

Also if you haven't, I recommend the epic rant/post by "Mike" here.

Good night.

May 11, 16 1:19 am  · 
 · 

Although, perhaps some good points are made...?

May 11, 16 1:30 am  · 
 · 
midlander

^that rant is a lot of emotion wasted on a tepid blog post.

I don't know. I'm a millennial by any standard definition. I'm kind of indifferent to software technology, though fluent enough. I silence my phone at 10pm and don't check it again until I'm on the subway the next morning unless I'm really bored.

I have changed jobs 4 times in 9 years, including 1 return to a previous firm. So I guess that generalization applies. It would be hard to distill the motivations down to any single cause - the factors he lists all applied. Especially career development, money, and belief in the competence and direction of the firm's leadership. Did that used to be different?

Overall I don't see that the post revealed any insight into the mindset of today's young architects, if there is in fact such a distinction to be made. It might have been interesting if there were something more like a series of interviews of millennial employees and older ones about their entry into the workforce to look for differences or trends. This was just a rehashing of generalizations we've all been seeing for as long as I can remember.

May 11, 16 2:29 am  · 
 · 

Curious, I'm intrigued by this millenial definition. I would only have to say those young folks entering the work force in the mid-2000s into the mid-2010s are certainly accustom to make do any damn way because many entering the work force during the recession was entering the profession had no damn choice. They graduated without job opportunities.

Even when I was taking some courses at the University where a professor was diatribe and attitude she was giving with pure utter pessimism with statements to students basically telling them that they have no job opportunity. After a few times she said that, I had to take her aside and basicly told her to knock that shit off. It is not the students fault that they are entering college in a shitty economic times and that they are probably doing the smartest thing they can do and getting an education because this recession won't be forever. 

Times will change and they just have to make do during this time and one productive thing one can do during a time of recession is taking classes and getting skills they can use for a career. 

The recession did get bed enough that it impacted across most occupations not just architecture. All I can ask professors to do is in those times, to prepare students even if it means they have to do some entrepreneurial work before working for others because there isn't always the convenient option. It serves no one any good to be pessimistic without being creative about finding solutions. We have to recognize that the younger generations coming into the work force are coming into the work force in a different economic environment and subsequently job/career environment than we were in the 1950s and 60s and subsequently the 70s and 80s. We lived in a different environment back then than we do now. What worked for the baby boomer generation is not going to necessarily work for this current generation entering the work force.  

Doom and gloom from the podium doesn't help any of the 100-200 students in a lecture hall.

May 11, 16 2:51 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

The real only difference I see between my parents and me is that I'm now given the opportunity to achieve what I want and where I want. I don't see the point of staying at the same place for years and years unlike my elder colleagues because company loyalty doesn't exist. Younger professionals of all industries now want more than just money, we want opportunities and excitement. Why would I want to do X in Y compared to A in B? Which which is more lucrative to the mind? There's a reason why start-ups and less conservative firms are now attracting people, it's the flexibility and isn't as stiff. I recently left a corporate firm that was very stuck in the past, the youngest person they could manage to hire was me when I graduated. When I left they asked me why I was leaving and how could they attract more young people, the average age at the company was roughly 50 and many people retired. PS: I'm on mobile, apologies for grammar mistakes.

May 11, 16 2:52 am  · 
 · 

no prob archiwutm8,

That's okay.

May 11, 16 2:54 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I always find these types of articles interesting.  Is the core issue that the old guys have with millennials a lack of loyalty towards their employers?   I agree that millennials are probably less loyal than more established professionals, but I'm not certain that it's a generational shift or simply a result of being younger.  

I've also noticed a distinct lack of loyalty towards employees at a couple of my past firms...

May 11, 16 10:23 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

the business model and general economics for Architecture does not provide the real financial opportunity for loyalty. even large firms can not provide stability so a less senior person who might be cut first in downturns has to keep their opportunies open.

May 11, 16 10:36 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

exactly

i read the article as a complaint about employee turnover, which I basically have no sympathy for what-so-ever.

May 11, 16 10:39 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

scumbag boomer principal 

pays a shit wage with few to no benefits

wonders why he has such high turnover 

May 11, 16 11:31 am  · 
 · 

Funny how the concept of employee loyalty starting going out the window right around the same time as the concept of a guaranteed pension.

May 11, 16 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: