Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

archiwutm8

Well I managed to fuck up two drawings this week and the qa didn't manage to catch it before it went out to the client. Maybe I'll be fired.

Apr 27, 16 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Everyone makes mistakes. If we all got fired for them, we'd all be unemployed (and unemployable).

Apr 27, 16 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I think I've honestly just stopped caring and I can't seen to get this feeling out...maybe I should take a break from the whole AEC industry?

Apr 27, 16 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

i am no longer employed, which is very exciting.

This is my second favorite sentence of the day. curt, I adore you.

My favorite sentence of the day (thus far) even though it's actually a headline not a sentence proper, is this: Watch A Tapir Scratch An Itch With His Enormous, Prehensile Penis

Archinect theme of the month is Sex, ya'll!

Apr 27, 16 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete is right, we all mess up/miss stuff. The key is in how you fix it, and your willingness to do so versus trying to shift blame elsewhere.
Apr 27, 16 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Also, I'm going to start telling the ladies on Tinder that my spirit animal is a Tapir, the. Show the video.
Apr 27, 16 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

archiwutm8, maybe the qa will be fired?

We do all make mistakes. I just posted about an animal's giant penis from work; maybe I'll get fired.  But that woudl be for intentionally breaking the rules, not a mistake!

Apr 27, 16 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

LOL Josh!

Apr 27, 16 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

My spirit animal is probably the blobfish.

Apr 27, 16 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I just found out I'm being issued a non-compliant type form stating I failed and issued a drawing with errors to the client., what the fuck.

Apr 27, 16 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

^^Do you work at the architectural equivalent of Initech?

Apr 27, 16 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

just take your stapler and get the fuck outta there before someone burns it down.

The issuing of the drawings is 100% QA's fault, especially if you are a junior architect or intern and not actually stamping the drawings.

Apr 27, 16 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Paperwork and policy replacing people and responsibility. Disgusting.

Apr 27, 16 4:23 pm  · 
 · 

I was once advised to never label drawings as "100% Set" because no set of docs is ever 100%. EVERYONE knows that there will be mistakes and inconsistencies that require clarification after the set is issued; it ALWAYS happens. It sounds to me like your firm might have a big stick up their butt. Or maybe a tapir penis?

Apr 27, 16 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Yeah I mean if there is a mistake they should have you fix it and not punish you. That's how you learn.

I made one that cost a few thousand to fix once. No one was happy about it, but I wasn't punished. I learned from it, helped fix it, and now I don't make that same mistake again (it was an issue with height/depth of workspaces in some custom millwork).
Apr 27, 16 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
On Donna's note you always miss something. That's why we have RFIs and ASKs.
Apr 27, 16 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

not sure your level, but stupid mistakes or missed red-lines = your fault, anything else = QAQC fault.  Not that it really matters as your not the one assigning blame...

never heard of a "compliant form," i assume you work for a faceless bureaucracy?

Apr 27, 16 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Why is it not QA's fault? 

Apr 27, 16 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

The thing is, we never used to have all these forms at the firm. All of these things have just recently been implemented because how large my firm has grown, we are now a 200+ company, earning more than ever due to taking on larger and larger jobs.

We recently hired a "management" consultant type guy to restructure the company to comply with the auditing we get now due to our growth. We now do more paperwork than actual work now, every drawing I do I have to submit it to several different systems, submit a submittal transfer form several times, then do Q/A forms which are two pages long and then send e-mail to my coordinator about the project and print the submittal forms to put into folders, plus giving them to our MD.

Apr 27, 16 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Show him your tapir and say here's your compliance...

Apr 27, 16 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

time to find another firm

Apr 27, 16 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Time to shit on QAs desk and call it a job.
Apr 27, 16 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

if you made a mistake, you should own up to it and do what you can to fix it.  even if it should have been caught by qa, you should still try to do what's in the interest of your project

i don't think a non-compliant form will help fix it though.  seems inundating you and your coworkers with useless paperwork and bureaucracy will make more people quit caring, and more mistakes will go out the door.

Apr 27, 16 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

archiwutm8, what do your coworkers think of the data-recording? I've never heard of such a thing in an architecture firm, except during CA phase.

What was the nature of the mistake? On most projects the most expensive problems and greatest waste aren't from mistakes as much as poor judgment. Any idiot can fix a mistake once it's pointed out - poor judgment is intractable once baked in to the work.

It sounds like your firm's leadership is struggling to understand what value they actually bring to projects. 200 isn't particularly large for an AE firm... Management consultants are expensive. And you can be sure they don't error-log their reports, nor track the long-term performance of past clients.

How well do you trust the judgment of your firm's leadership? It sounds like they may be grasping for ideas how to manage a medium-sized office during a pretty good economic cycle, not a good sign for the future.

Apr 27, 16 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

agreed - i was expecting a +10,000 giant, like URS or balfor beatty

Apr 28, 16 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

I honestly feel like I've entered Crazytown. In an online neighborhood forum I have a lady literally telling me the word "node" doesn't exist as an urban design term, only a biological term, and all I'm trying to do is drum up support for the use of public dollars for developers. The project is a federally-funded BRT line.

Apr 28, 16 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

"Joe was able to understand them, but when he spoke in an ordinary voice he sounded pompous and faggy to them....."

sorry Donna, but you can't argue with stupid

Apr 28, 16 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

can you post a link? i'd love to see the arguements

Apr 28, 16 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

I can't shuellmi, it's NextDoor, where you have to be verified as a resident to join.

Apr 28, 16 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
NextDoor, as in, the crazies next door.
Apr 28, 16 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

kangeroo OSB mofo's

Apr 28, 16 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

damn rendering farms are like a high-end drinking establishments

just dropped like $150 in an hour on 11 images and not happy with my designs now...ahhh

Apr 29, 16 12:24 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Olaf, $150 for 11 images?

What do they do for that amount?

Apr 29, 16 12:26 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Meh only 150? If you got someone to do the vis for you it'd cost anywhere from 400 to 1.5k per image.

Apr 29, 16 2:49 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

$150 for 11 images in an hour say versus 24-48 hrs on my computers. since i used to teach 3dsMax I have a real hard time paying anyone to model or do anything as it would only take me aay 15 minutes versus someones 2-4 hrs..........so $150 in one hour just for pure processing power to see some ideas is a mid level architexrs hourly but its just calculators you know...

Apr 29, 16 6:41 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

You used to teach 3DSMax? What are some good learning resources? I haven't used it in so long and need some top ups from the beginning. How did you find the teaching gig? I taught Revit.

Apr 29, 16 7:55 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

archiwut you sound like a person who knows the tech shit. consult for a lot of architects etc...find the academics and hopefully the program they are at are looking for studio digital support. i am in nyc. started as paid studio support and then taught full classes and then the program switched to Rhino, since Vray finally started looking good out of Rhino.......no real good books. i took scrernshots of my lectures and then did a PDF with comments, worked well for students.

Apr 29, 16 8:13 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Oops, posted my awesome Kangaroo meme in the wrong place. I'm not going to dirty TC this early on a beautiful friday morning.

Apr 29, 16 8:23 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Snowing here, but still beautiful. And Friday. 

Apr 29, 16 9:21 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Snow?

It was -2 (Celsius) this morning so I anticipated frost at 6am... but nope, all sunshine and lollipops.

Apr 29, 16 9:23 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Snow?

Its cold and raining here (London)

Apr 29, 16 9:37 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Snow. Turning to drops as it nears the surface, no accumulation. I'm in Denver. Looks like rain falling in slow motion. 

Apr 29, 16 9:44 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

yeah, up in the mountains we've been getting an inch overnight for the past 4 days, gorgeous mornings, but enough of it already!

Apr 29, 16 10:09 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

well my belt buckle finally broke, damn denial...was.off to a big meeting and was worried man if I run into Macys on 34th instead hit a tourist shop and got me a knock off Prada. lets see if its a lucky belt?

Apr 29, 16 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Is it a ninja belt?

Apr 29, 16 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I wear Mission belt now.  One handed operation.  Saves time for the important things in life.

Apr 29, 16 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

How is everyone.....I just wish to know what does a student do when they have so much going on in their personal life and they become demotivated and slowly lose interest :/ especially if they've been working hard lately knowing that any future they dream of is nearly impossible no matter how enthusiastic or hard worker they were for barriers were placed by other people and external factors they have no control over :'( 

Apr 29, 16 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^find a hobby outside of architecture.

Or, take a decent aluminum bat to the barriers and move on with both middle fingers proudly extended.

Apr 29, 16 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

haha :D I don't know... aluminum sounds like a good option though 

Apr 29, 16 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, make sure everyone works as part of your team or "Batter Up..."

Apr 29, 16 4:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: