Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Wilma Buttfit

i am changing my vote on whether or not to ban Balkins. Ban him. Because you can. Think of the entire city of Astoria and do it for them, because they can't. But we can.  

May 3, 16 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

that thread is a legal document tintt, we will all have to perform expert testimony with our handles.

\\. what a knucklehead.  his only shot is to plead insanity.

May 3, 16 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Shouldn't be much of a stretch...

May 3, 16 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

fortunately that won't be a hard sell, Olaf.

May 3, 16 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Seems like we've done a good job of baiting him into quarantining himself inside the CPBD thread. Let him live out his days in there.

May 3, 16 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Good point. Keep him busy.

May 3, 16 5:25 pm  · 
 · 

He'll only stay there as long as it keeps him occupied. The dumpster is slowly running out of fuel to keep it burning.

May 3, 16 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
That glorious dumpster fire is not running out, it's just those tending to it unfortunately have lives worth living on occasion where as balkarino does not.
May 3, 16 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I've yet to see him *not* take the bait. It's up to us to keep tossing bait in, no matter how ridiculous.

May 3, 16 5:28 pm  · 
 · 

@JeromeS I'm headed to the AIA convention..

What's good to see/eat in Philly? 

Also heading to NYC for a few days after the convention..

May 3, 16 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

send a fucking Kangaroo in to keep the dumpster fire burning in that one location!

May 3, 16 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

@honolulu

A cheesesteak?  Bring me a good chicken katsu plate lunch and I'll buy the cheesesteaks.

Livery Bell, independence Hall, Boathouse Row. I see there was a tour you could sign up for. That was sold out.

May 3, 16 6:10 pm  · 
 · 

I understand that roasted pork sandwiches is becoming the food in philly. I'm guessing the historic image of cheesesteaks and "established" residents of Philly conflicts with the how newer residents imagine themselves. Bug don't forget water ice. 

May 3, 16 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
Schoon

@honolulu,

Jones Restaurant has pretty great comfort food and is super close to the convention center, but you'll probably need a reservation around convention time.  And yes, Marc, Jones has a killer roast pork sandwich!

Otherwise Pagano's Pizza is the best slice in Philly imo, that's located among the shops in 8th street subway station.  Only open from ~11am to 2pm on weekdays though.

Wish I could've gone to the convention, but that's finals week for me.  Have fun!

May 3, 16 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
I'm going to AC, fuck Philadelphia, I need to get my game on.
May 3, 16 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
situationist

Hey everyone! Let's meet up at the AIA convention. It won't be weird or awkward or anything. Anyone else cosplaying?  I'm going as a furry: mies van der ruff

May 3, 16 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
Bark Ingels?
Frank Lloyd Weimereiner?
Le Cockerbusier?
May 3, 16 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Frank Lloyd Wrong

Wait'll you see my cape...

May 3, 16 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm going to be the one dressed as John Heyduck.

May 3, 16 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
JeromeS
Are you referencing the ying yang twins?!!
May 4, 16 1:34 am  · 
 · 
no_form
I'm going as Walter Gopherius. Or just a kangaroo. Whichever is easiest.
May 4, 16 1:38 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

i am bringing a kangaroo

May 4, 16 7:06 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Damn it... why did I not get an invite to this killer  box social?

I'm considering building this and adding it to my desk at the office.

May 4, 16 7:23 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

looks mechanical? you selling them on Etsy or something?

May 4, 16 7:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ha!

I think these were a promo thing a few years ago.

Instructions at the link below for anyone interested:

http://cache.lego.com/bigdownloads/buildinginstructions/6122647.pdf

May 4, 16 8:01 am  · 
 · 

In the spirit of TC being the bar where we come hang out to complain:

The last few days I've been dealing with this phenomena, and it's happened frequently enough that I'm really starting to think it's a real thing: a gay man who is in the design world is attacking me for being an (intelligent? female? tall? all three?) architect.

A local guy has gone out of his way to libel me online because we disagree on a local neighborhood issue. But he's not the first (short) gay man to be completely obnoxious to me when he found out I'm an architect. 

I mean, my best friend in the world is a gay man, who never got registered, and doesn't care about anything but talent when it comes to design "credentials".  But I strongly suspect these couple-few men feel threatened by me. (Looking at their design abilities, frankly, I can see why, but still.)

Anyway, just saying this here, and not on Facebook or whatever, because I'm fully aware of how prima donna-ish and conceited it sounds, but I imagine you all have also dealt with people who were clearly intimidated by your accomplishments. I'm *not* a great designer, I'm a competent one.  And this is nothing more than an annoyance, especially in the face of the very serious challenges that so many women in our field face.  I'm fine, and it kind of amuses me. But sheesh.  Remember those "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful." commercials from the 80s?

May 4, 16 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Donna, there is a prominent interior designer who shares office space with the firm I work out. He is older (short) and very gay. 

He is typically super nice and complimentary to me, but if he talks to one of the women it is usually about their poor choice of clothing, inferior aesthetic sensibilities, or professional conduct (none of which are any worse than the men in the office.)

May 4, 16 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I went to a design university where half the guys were gay or metrosexual....amusing at times, especially the fashion students.

May 4, 16 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Donna, what did he say?

May 4, 16 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

its a gay man' s profession, straight dudes should take advantage of this, like wearing only chaps to work.

May 4, 16 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

tintt, this person decided I must be getting a financial incentive to support certain infill projects in our neighborhood. So he said I have a broken sense of ethics or something like that. Which might, or might not, be an ethical breach in this context, but I *don't* have any financial incentive in any of them, that's a story he made up in his own little brain, so the accusation is moot.

Note that he accused me of this a couple years ago, then there was nothing, and then when someone on the same forum recently complimented me on my work he roared into the conversation, totally without context, to "remind" everyone that I have a broken sense of ethics and only support the projects I get money for. Which is a total falsehood;  if he had accused me of licking live animals on the sidewalk that would be more closely aligned with the truth than this story is!  But he couldn't deal with me getting praise. It's hilarious, and pathetic. Bless his heart.

May 4, 16 8:56 pm  · 
 · 

Look at this hair!!!

That's the hair of my teenage years right there! But mine never looked that smooth, always frizzy. This is the tagline my friends and I sued to use on architecture studio whenever a review went well or someone gave us a compliment. I may have to use it on this guy.

May 4, 16 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

this is probably too obvious to say, but you should t.p. his house.

May 4, 16 9:07 pm  · 
 · 

That hair is from 1980, a d that is probably the last time I ever TP'd someone's house, so yeah. Maybe it's time for a throwback?!?

I meant to say "used" not sued in that previous post, BTW.

May 4, 16 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'll help you tp his house. I have experience. From the 90's. 

May 5, 16 4:40 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

piss in his gas tank

May 5, 16 7:02 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
This degenerated quickly.

Good ok' 90s TP. That brings me back.
May 5, 16 7:05 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Amateurs.
May 5, 16 7:54 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

TP is for amateurs.  Want to make a statement?  Cap his VTR's. 

Though that would definitely be a dead giveaway on the culprit.  Who thinks to do something to a plumbing vent? 

May 5, 16 8:05 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

piss in his radiator

May 5, 16 8:07 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Donna, don't you work for the city in some capacity?

Have his house condemned and torn down. Or... too much?

May 5, 16 10:28 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

use a pair of diagonal cutters and clip the valve stems on his tires.

or a tennis ball pushed deep up his tail pipe (all puns intended)

May 5, 16 11:20 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Cutting the valve stem is too obvious.  Get a valve stem puller and pull the metal piece from the middle.  This will release all the air, but under normal observation practices, the cause will not be obvious.  The victim will attempt to reinflate the tires, to no avail. If you put the caps back on the stem, it will slow the release a bit.  They might even manage to drive for a while before the tires go flat. 

May 5, 16 11:33 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

on the other hand, the victim simply buys new valves, reinstalls them and inflates with a bike pump and is on their way.  Clipping the stems means a flatbed to the tire store, all the tire need to be removed from the rim for new stems to be installed.  Its tire slashing lite...

May 5, 16 11:46 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Amateurs.

Banana in the tailpipe.
May 5, 16 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Sounds kinky. 

May 5, 16 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

aaaargh. I am so close to getting my license. These last 100 hours are taking forever. And I'm nearly 3000 over on design categories.

Switched firms to get them but within two months I was diverted back to almost 100% design role.

I could finish the hours i need if i could take freelance work. I could take freelance work if I was done with my hours and had my license. Chicken and egg.

Any licensed members of Archinect need some bids reviewed and qualified or some drawings done at cut-rate prices?

May 5, 16 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

I don't work for the City, but I am friends with the head of Department of Code Enforcement for the City, and he told me that he loooooooves it (note super sarcasm) when neighbors use the DCE to fight with each other.

Seriously, when people call the code inspectors on their neighbors over a petty argument it's resource-wasting bullshit. A serious violation is worth a call, of course.

May 5, 16 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

anonymous, you could use some of the Emerging Professionals Companion things if you are desperate for hours.  

Or just do it like this:

If you do a sketch during bidding, that was a bidding activity.  If you copied addenda, emailed, fielded a phone call, anything, it was a bidding activity. If it had to do with the project and during the bidding period, apply it. 

The firm management one kills me.  What intern gets 40 hours of firm management? Insurance and 401k meetings start to count, right? 

May 5, 16 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

senator blutarsky - EPC doesn't apply to the categories I need, but it's definitely a good resource. 

Strangely at the last place I worked, firm management wasn't tough to get, nor was construction administration. 

Documents have actually been pretty tough for me because my first two jobs did a lot of BIM model delivery as the contract documents... so at the end of DD, you are done with CD's, thus no good way to get CD hours.

May 5, 16 3:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: