Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

awaiting_deletion

ricki do me a favor - post an image of OSB and then tell me how wide a finish nail. where do you drive the finish nail? the largest chunk? this is blasphemy.

Apr 25, 16 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

nice edit ricki

Apr 25, 16 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

rick said glue and finish nails.

Apr 25, 16 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

thanks for the endorsement, olaf.

beta, look in your linkedin mail.  

Apr 25, 16 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
situationist

Rick - crafting a portfolio is all about narrative -  I've put together a story-board of my process:

so - here I am scouring the internet for the latest job postings:

once I find a posting that appeals to me I cater my portfolio to what they are looking for, as you can see in this picture I'm applying for a design position:

Later I meet with my friend who has a job and can give me critique and encouragement:

(are you shitting me?  who the hell puts "design" on the cover of their portfolio?  you are an idiot).  After I make a few revisions I send it out - and low and behold - an interview!

I want to make a good impression, so I show some of my unique "digital hand" skills:

("as you can see, ladies, holding a pen with your left hand makes you look more distinguished") they seem impressed, so they bring in the principal who says "we'll let you know after we review your salary requirements."

(woman on the left only started smiling at me after I told them how much money I wanted).

About a week later I get a call - I got the job (a little less than I asked, but at least it mostly covers rent)!  I start right away doing toilet partition details for a prison hospital in rural texas on "state of the art" hardware:

(you sure the client wants a two-way mirror in the restroom?  that seems illegal...)

And here i am today looking through what the consultants sent us for review before the CD set goes out:

haha - just kidding - the consultants wouldn't send us something early enough for review.

Hope this helps!

Apr 25, 16 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

lol, that is the most realistic narrative of what architecture entails I've ever seen...like EVER!!!

Apr 25, 16 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

what are you talking about, you'll have plenty of time to review.  in fact, after they send you something at 4:00 on friday, they'll remind you that you've had 3 days to review on monday morning.

'i use a laptop for work, but if you look, i do know how to hold a pen in my left hand for when hand sketches are required'  i laughed.

aside from that, best post ever.  that should be a link to that post at the top of a thread somewhere.

Apr 25, 16 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, situationist, that's some brilliance there! Love it. That guy with the scarf and fedora makes me slappy, though.

Apr 25, 16 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

its a god damn NEWS post!

Apr 25, 16 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

With the decriminalization of it is becoming hard to fill all those new cells in these privatized prisons...it's like law enforcement has to actually work on putting actual pedophiles into these cell, which actually takes work.....Balkins?

Apr 25, 16 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

That probably why you didnt get your "asking price"...

Apr 25, 16 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Apr 25, 16 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
That's some sexy OSB. Oriented Sexy Board.
Apr 26, 16 12:24 am  · 
 · 

Honestly,

not bad at all.

Interesting. 

Apr 26, 16 12:32 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

see, when i look at this, i can't but think that this is applied to a plywood, or mdf substrate and construction adhesive is used, but honestly it's possible that it's countersunk fasteners with wood putty covering the holes, i mean, who'd know the difference? this surface also looks less like epoxy resin, and more of a clear lacquer finish.

Apr 26, 16 12:49 am  · 
 · 
situationist

I'd think twice about putting the word "analog" behind a column and then getting it photographed.

Apr 26, 16 1:00 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

what's wrong with "anal folk"?

Apr 26, 16 1:38 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

"I really like that new building that Rem Koolhaas and Michael Stipe designed." "The Rem Koolhaas R.E.M. Coolhouse?"

Apr 26, 16 3:28 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

OSB looks like shit, regardless of application....my opinion

Apr 26, 16 7:05 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

and sand this into the air -

"Health and safety

The resins used to create OSB have raised questions regarding the potential for OSB to emit volatile organic compounds (VOCs) such as formaldehyde. Urea-formaldehyde is more toxic and should be avoided in home use. Phenol-formaldehyde products are considered to be relatively hazard-free. Some newer types of OSB, so-called "New-generation" OSB panels, use isocyanate resins that do not contain formaldehyde and are considered non-volatile when cured.[7] Industry trade groups assert that formaldehyde emissions from North American OSB are "negligible or nonexistent".[8]

Some manufacturers treat the wood chips with various borate compounds which are toxic to termites, wood boring beetles, molds, and fungi, but not mammals in applied doses."

Apr 26, 16 7:14 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Run sheets of OSB through a big belt sander to knock the surface down? Or just a really thick coat of finish? I like the little flakes under the big surface flakes. But-how to use when code requires class A or B finishes?
Apr 26, 16 7:18 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I just build some OSB shelves in my basement.

It did not require stamped permit drawings so I guess I could have hired a certified building designer for $8 to set them up right? $12 only if they hold a ph.d from a reputable diploma mill institution.

Apr 26, 16 7:39 am  · 
 · 
So after close to 90 hours in the last 8 days, I have a couple days off...and promptly woke up at 6:30 without an alarm.
Apr 26, 16 8:08 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Wall Finishes:

EXIT ENCLOSURES AND PASSAGEWAYS            B

CORRIDORS                                       B

ROOMS AND ENCLOSED SPACES                               C

Apr 26, 16 8:53 am  · 
 · 

Good eyes, situationist.

OSB as cabinetry looks cool but it doesn't hold up well over many years.  Once those crisp corners get beat up a little it doesn't look as good. For a space like a restaurant or cafe that might change its interior scheme in ten years it's cool.

Apr 26, 16 8:59 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

its perverse to use OSB this way. adolf loos wouldnt be happy.

Apr 26, 16 9:11 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I quite like OSB in a concrete setting, it looks quite nice. If treated and built correctly OSB furniture can last.

Apr 26, 16 9:18 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

This fad will be over before it has begun. Thankfully.

Apr 26, 16 9:19 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

i'm considering this as a finish material

Apr 26, 16 9:34 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Volunteer,

People have been doing this for several years.  I wouldn't say it's been a short lived fad. 

It's still fugly in most applications. 

Apr 26, 16 10:20 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

didn't rem use gold painted osb in a theater somewhere like 15 years ago?

Apr 26, 16 10:28 am  · 
 · 

I'm not sure about Rem's gold OSB, but this was done 15 years ago. 

OSB for the majority of the wall finish with OSB battens covering the vertical joints.

Closer view showing the OSB (plus Kelvin "KC" Caeser and hand gestures)

Apr 26, 16 11:01 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

case da musica - koolhaas, only it used plywood and gold leaf

Apr 26, 16 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

OMG plywood and gold leaf, how have I not known about this until now?!? That's so fabulous.

Apr 26, 16 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

i think there was some sort of deep meaning behind the use of "humble" materials in a "high society" function.  I'm curious now about the acoustics, looks like a lot of hard surfaces

Apr 26, 16 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Plywood and gold leaf sounds amazing. I think this was around the same time he was playing with material use in unexpected ways, i.e. The unfinished drywall and orange panels at IIT.
Apr 26, 16 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
VHB tape, how could I forget.
Apr 26, 16 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
VHB tape, how could I forget.
Apr 26, 16 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Q! You're back!
Apr 26, 16 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
situationist

Tonight I'm having tacos! What a coincidence!

Apr 26, 16 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

soft or hard? over OSB or not?

Apr 27, 16 7:13 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Come on, everyone knows you go hard, over OSB, I do.
Apr 27, 16 10:20 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I am interested in hearing what do you all do for data backup/ archival? Personal or your firm's solution?

I currently have data spread across 8 hard drives (most of it duplicated 8 times) hoping that if one fails, the stuff I need is on another drive. There has to be a better way.

Apr 27, 16 11:05 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

We do the most stupid thing, We leave the data on the server for about 2 yrs then dump all the larger files in shitty Samsung/WD hard drives and expect them to last, wouldn't be my exact choice.

Apr 27, 16 11:12 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Nightly backups to a server off site somewhere. I keep copies of my revit models on thumb-drives just in case someone else decides to mess with them as a learning experience.

Apr 27, 16 11:38 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

archiwut - seems about right for most firms.

NS - might want to remember to transfer those to another format for long-term archival. Flash memory isn't very reliable past about 1 year. Pesky thermodynamics. 

What do you all do for your personal data? I can't be alone in having almost all of my portfolio, work product, financial records, bills, etc stored digitally. If there was a solar flare or something, I'd be thoroughly fucked.

Apr 27, 16 11:51 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i am no longer employed, which is very exciting. when i was employed (yesterday) we used amazon s3 for offsite backup.  We also kept nightly backups on a hard drive in the office, for when files get deleted or corrupt, or if the server blew up, or something like that.

i love NAS devices.  you can use them for remote backup too.

for personal data, i just figure you should let everything fall apart every now and then anyway.  give you a chance to rebuilt.  if you don't like losing everything and starting over with nothing, use google drive or dropbox or amazon or any of the other remote storage solutions out there.

Apr 27, 16 11:58 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

What happened, curt? New opportunity, I hope.

Apr 27, 16 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

curtkram - what's the story?

I backup most of my stuff on a combo of yahoo and google web drives

Apr 27, 16 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Ya, i'll be working in a new office next week.  I have high hopes.  Looking forward to it.

Apr 27, 16 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: