Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

vado retro

we'll be lucky if we get something like that.

Jan 14, 15 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Vado - I have a lot in a tiny newer neighborhood, bought it because houses were designed by architects and were made of "real" materials.... recession killed off lot sales and in late fall this year a builder came in and started a spec house..... discovered last week he installed vinyl windows and a metal garage door... how did that happen... why give this guy a pass? Thankfully its a dead end street and I'll never see the house.... but the problem is that once its allowed they have to let everybody do it... my have to sue everybody... why have architectural review?

Jan 14, 15 11:25 am  · 
 · 
rationalist

Sarah, that's not actually that different than what real estate agents do. They have access to all the property's history, so they look for neighborhoods that are on the rise and properties within those neighborhoods that haven't sold in decades, and just phone up the owners to see if they'd be interested in selling. 

Jan 14, 15 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

rationalist - that's what they're doing in my neighborhood - i've gotten several cold calls and people showing up at my door asking if I or I know anyone who is interested in selling.  We haven't been here for very long - but many of my neighbors have been in their houses for decades.  those people aren't planning on moving until they're dead, though.

Jan 14, 15 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

anyone else find it weird that in work we're talking budgets that can shift in hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars, but in our personal lives, if something costs $10 more it's a really big deal?

Jan 15, 15 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

oh yeah, I could never afford to live in anything that any of us designed. Which sucks, but then on the other hand that's pretty much how everything is in this city—the people who wait tables at nice restaurants couldn't afford to eat there without discounts, the people who sell nice cars wouldn't be able to buy them, etc. 

Jan 17, 15 10:34 pm  · 
 · 

I had sincerely hoped I would eventually get to a time in my financial life that I wouldn't have to count every $10. I'm almost 50 and not there yet.  Of course, it may just be conditioning by now: even if I have a decent-sized cushion in my checking account, I still count virtually every penny.

Jan 18, 15 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

I hope Balkins is O.K.  He's yet to make an appearance this year.

Jan 20, 15 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

maybe his new year's resolution was to wean off archinect. good idea?

am I misreading the guy asking about installing an office kitchen? to me he just sounds like some small-time contractor who has no idea what to do and is intimidated about finding an architect for a minor job. no reason to confirm his suspicions that an architect will demean and insult him for his inexperience.

Jan 20, 15 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

I didn't mind until he copped the FU attitude. 

On the other hand there seems to be a rash of people who come here to get by without architects, or at least without paying them, like JLaw. Maybe that or the shitty state of the business had an effect on he responses as well?

Talk about FU, 40 years experience design/build and I'm supposed to give it away to some sleaze-bag developer like JLaw? Been there, done that, with the idea of building good will and future business. LOL

Jan 20, 15 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Is it just me... or did the SHoP Construction... out of business thread disappear?

Jan 20, 15 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

yup, just got a 404 not found on a search for it

i was wondering since i couldn't find any other source for that, maybe false rumors?

Jan 20, 15 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
Did I miss the JLaw story? And does JLaw mean Jennifer Lawrence, the actress?
Jan 21, 15 6:59 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Donna, here's the JLaw thread.

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/118815361/nyc-building-codes-question/0#last

Jan 21, 15 8:29 am  · 
 · 

Nope. This is the JLaw thread.

Jan 21, 15 9:17 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i think the kitchenette guy just got caught in the cross-fire.  i read his question more along the lines of 'how to hire an architect' rather than 'give me stuff for free.'

he's a residential remodeller.  the poor guy just stepped outside of his core competency, now he's looking for help.  in the end he'll have to pay an architect to show him what cabinets to install, which is going to increase the cost for the tenant fairly substantially considering such a limited scope.

this isn't the sort of job where an architect gets to pour their soul into a design that will create some great work of art with traditional detailing for the public, as would be suggested by the 'why do we need architects' threads and whatnot that we see here.  it's probably actually going to be hard for him to find an architect, because the cost of just setting up a job number blows a project of this size out of proportion.

aside from that, most experienced architects are really going to shy away from working with this guy because it has red flags all over it.  he doesn't know what he's doing.  it's not just the ada.  you can just throw some stuff together when dressing up someone's kitchen, but in commercial construction you have all sorts of regulations and other parties that come into play.  it might be a bad few days for this guy, but as null pointer said, there is a good chance this guy is making twice what i do, so whatever.

Jan 21, 15 9:39 am  · 
 · 
myiaow

Please read this and kindly give me suggestions. :D

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/118847550/thesis-about-coco-fiber

Jan 21, 15 10:24 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Correct Miles, I mixed up the one-hit-wonder names.

Jan 21, 15 10:41 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

it's 3 minutes to midnight!  yay!

http://thebulletin.org/

Jan 22, 15 3:11 pm  · 
 · 

Hi TC! Sorry I haven't stopped by in a bit. Been busy finalizing wedding plans for late March.

@midlander only 5,000% ?

@wurdan was the "SHoP Construction... out of business thread" a new one? when i perused first few pages of forum didn't see it...

Also, just found out my local theatre is presenting an Architecture Film Series and Public Dialogue. Unfortunately, missed the first and will have to miss second (as i will be celebrating my bachelor party), but at least i will be able to see one on Rural Studio and Mockbee.

Jan 22, 15 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

stepped off the train this evening and there they were, selling what is essentially crack in a box.  don't be fooled, those girl scouts are some serious pushers - they can sense weakness from a mile away.  Dropped an Andrew Jackson and they hooked me up... thin mints, caramel de-lites, peanut butter patties... someone else opened that shit up on the bus and the smell just permeated everything - you could see it in everyone's eyes... jealousy, resentment - I just sat there with mine, waiting... waiting... finally I arrived home and am now downing an entire box... weeping... in about an hour the shame sets in... right now it's glorious.

I know they'll be back tomorrow... will I be strong enough to resist?  I'm not that strong.

Jan 22, 15 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

the president is giving a live question and answer thing on you tube.  hank green got to be one of the interviewers.

someone other than hank green asked him what he wanted to be when he was a kid, and he said 'architect.'  what a dumbass.

you're just not going to look very good following hank green.

Jan 22, 15 5:56 pm  · 
 · 

^ Does anybody even listen to that corporate orifice any more?

Remember Joe Wilson, the congressman who shouted "You lie!" during a State of the Union Address? He was the only person that night who actually told the truth.

myiaow Wrong thread and double post. Why on earth would anybody here want to proof your thesis? Suggestion: do your own fucking homework.

Jan 22, 15 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

hank green is not a corporate orifice.

Jan 22, 15 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

Nice one, curt.

toast, I totally enjoyed your girl scout cookie story.  I have lost track of how many I have coming, I've said yes to 2-4 boxes from every single girl I know who is selling them.

NAM!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! I feel like I didn't know you are engaged! Woohoo!

Jan 22, 15 8:00 pm  · 
 · 

Nam's engaged to a Girl Scout?

Way to go, dude!

Jan 22, 15 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

hah not a chance (is she a girl scout...although perhaps always prepared)!

girl scout cookies are CRACK>>>

Jan 22, 15 9:20 pm  · 
 · 

this thread has so many great quotes ...

Jan 22, 15 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Nam, I thought you got married already. Was sure I saw that picture somewhere.

And Donna doesn't like Top Gun. Now all of her opinions are suspect. What should we do?
Jan 22, 15 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Nam, been married for 41 years to one of the best persons I've ever met and its been no picnic.... the adage that you can't live with them or without them is correct.... jump on in, the waters fine (laughing).

Jan 22, 15 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

@Sarah, may have seen photos of a more traditional (than wedding) engagement celebration my parents threw?

Carrera, can't wait!

Jan 22, 15 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Nam, you're going to love it (laughing).

Jan 22, 15 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Getting hassled regarding my job title on my email sig, last I heard "intern architect" was an acceptable description for my education, and position, but a principle here isn't so sure, now I'm not...  I was following discussion a few months ago regarding this, it comes up ad nauseam I know, but I remember someone posting a map showing the appropriate terminology for each state, now I can find it after combing the last few months of threads and stories.  Anyone have an idea where this map is, or know the acceptable terminology for Texas?  I need something I can show the guy, spelled out and printed on paper. 

Jan 23, 15 11:10 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

even if you were right, wouldn't it maybe make sense for you to be wrong in this particular case?  sometimes people don't like being told they're wrong.

http://blog.ncarb.org/2014/August/Intern-Titles.aspx

Jan 23, 15 11:18 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Mr_Wiggin - I haven't seen any sort of consensus on job titles until people are in management positions - every office I've worked in has had different names for their junior staff.

anyway - anyone else see this?

Jan 23, 15 11:24 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

He doesn't really care much about being right, it's more of a matter of what is legally acceptable when I'm sending out emails to our clients. 

Jan 23, 15 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Thanks for that link, made it easy to find the actual state statute regarding job titles. 

Jan 23, 15 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

In Texas, you can have the title "Architectural Intern" if you are enrolled in IDP. 

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=22&pt=1&ch=1&rl=123

Jan 23, 15 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

Doh. That's what I get for not reading ALL of the comments. Asked and answered.  My bad.

Jan 23, 15 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Standing on the edge of 56. Wtf?

Jan 23, 15 4:08 pm  · 
 · 

vado, that made me smile. We all need to enjoy, because it's all going so fast!

Jan 23, 15 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

vado, my former high school classmates keep telling me  they are retired.....I scratch my head and say WTF....I'm just getting started.

Jan 23, 15 7:25 pm  · 
 · 

I was just getting used to being 20 when I turned 30. I was just getting used to being 30 when I turned 40. I was just getting used to being 40 when I turned 50. 

In related news, a man's brain says no problem while his body says are you out of your fucking mind?

Jan 23, 15 7:36 pm  · 
 · 

@Miles "a man's" or "mans'"?

Also it has been raining for like 6 + hours and I am staying inside this evening. soup, baked squash and catching up after a long (but somehow short) week...

Jan 23, 15 9:37 pm  · 
 · 

Yet another Charleston article messing the place up. Darnit.

Jan 24, 15 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I've actually forgotten my age. I'm not sure that's good. But it might be great.
Jan 24, 15 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

I can relate gruen. Except I was fortunate enough to have been born along side a twin, so whenever I forget how old I am I can call his wife and ask her

Jan 24, 15 8:45 pm  · 
 · 

Crap, you mean there are TWO of you?!

Jan 24, 15 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
I round up. I'll be 48 in April, but I generally just say I'm "approaching 50".
Jan 24, 15 9:36 pm  · 
 · 

You don't look a day over 47.

Jan 24, 15 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: