Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Wilma Buttfit

^ I already did that. It did solve a lot of problems and opened up a bunch of new opportunities. I'll even let you use the title, curtkram. You can work across state lines with that title too.

Donna, isn't that the AIA's main (unspoken) goal--to have the populace believe that? 

Dec 18, 14 7:58 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

if I mention even the slightest bit of the word "designed" or "designer" while referencing my work in the office, I get looks from the interiors staff. Apparently, they have a monopoly on the term.

Dec 18, 14 8:35 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

thanks tint, but i'm happy being a lowly architect.  i'm not as interested in the prestige or external verification for my work as i am in just doing as good of a job as i can.

Dec 18, 14 9:40 am  · 
 · 

The AIA's main goal is to get every architect to join the AIA, then by default AIA would equal registered architect.

However, in Indiana the State is wondering what licensing responsibilities they can privatize, and spoke to the AIA at an official hearing wondering if we could be the State's partner in issuing licenses. Which IMO would be a huge fustercluck, but things do change...

Dec 18, 14 9:56 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Talk about putting the wolves in charge of the hen house...

Dec 18, 14 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Donna...before long they "Computer Companies" are going to strip us of our  title.."Architect."  I always ask myself is the AIA going to step up to the plate or is it a lost battle against the strongest economic sector of the United States.  So guess we should become, "Archinects"  rally to the Flag!

Dec 18, 14 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
Donna Sink, Archinect. Yep, I like it.

My mother-in-law, Maggie Sterling, died yesterday. It's been humbling and beautiful and sad being part of her transition out of this life. Sarah, I hope you are doing ok dealing with your dad.

It's also a reminder of how long this community, Thread Central and all of the Archinect Forum, has been around and how deeply important you all, even as anonymous colleagues, are to me. We've witnessed major life changes of others here. I'm grateful for this place and all you residents of it.
Dec 19, 14 6:57 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Donna, Very sorry for your loss. Hope your family manages to have a very meaningful Christmas together.

Dec 19, 14 8:58 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Donna, so sorry to hear about Brian's mother. I need to visit my mother in Phoenix. She's still going strong and turning 85 on Saturday. Future wife's dad and stepmom are coming to town for a week. I really like them but am freaking because of all the little things that haven't been fixed around the house since his last visit. Happy holidays everyone. Hug your parents, spouses, s.o.s, kids , dogs, cats and goats

Dec 19, 14 9:24 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

goats, who has a pet goat? I want one now.

Donna and Sarah, I'll raise my Bailey's and Coffee this morning to your departed loved ones.

Dec 19, 14 9:35 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Donna, sorry for your loss.

My plans for Christmas Day just fell through. I thought family was coming, but they aren't coming until after Christmas. 

Dec 19, 14 9:48 am  · 
 · 

Baby goats.

tint, now you can have a relaxing Christmas Day at home! Or go to a movie!

Dec 19, 14 10:03 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The best thing about Christmas Day is how there is no traffic, no buzz, ya know. The last time I had Christmas Day free I went back country snowboarding and I felt like I had the whole world to myself. A movie is a good idea too. Are movie theaters empty on Christmas Day? 

Dec 19, 14 10:27 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Guess I get to stick around and be a perfect asshole.  Clean bill of health after second time under the knife.  Health is a great Christmas Gift.

Dec 19, 14 10:31 am  · 
 · 
jitter12

Movie theaters are not empty.  Christmas is usually a very busy day for movie watchers.  I guess most people are tired of all that togetherness by lunchtime.

Dec 19, 14 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Former movie theater employee here. Typically the two busiest days of the year for a theater are Thanksgiving and Christmas.

It makes sense when you think about it. Usually you have a bunch of family in town. Everything else is closed for the holiday. Sitting in relative silence for a few hours after arguing with family all day is really appealing.

If you're looking to avoid the crowds, stay home and rent something on the 25th.
Dec 19, 14 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

Donna, condolences.

Snook, congrats!

Dec 19, 14 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Donna, I agree with you on the familiness of TC. You guys were part of the two BIGGEST events in my life: childbirth and death of a parent. I'm sorry for your loss, but I hope you can take comfort in her spirit, meaning that she must've been a great person to raise such a cool son, and still be part of your lives.

We put the Christmas tree up the day after dad left. I let Abe decorate all on his own. He loved it. Dad always gave us brain teaser type puzzles and cash for Christmas, and Husband and I are going to continue the tradition for ourselves and my brother, minus the cash, though. Dad will be more like Santa.

Also, I found a mcdonalds receipt in dad's car last week for 15 mcdoubles and 4 happy meals. The man couldn't eat, and they weren't for us, so we're left to assume he just bought the for strangers. I cried. He was so much better of a person than I am. Donna, I hope your MIL's humanism is able to shine through and touch your hearts.

-------------
Vado, that explains you cleaning the gutters. Funny to think that even at your age you want to impress your brides father. So sweet. And I didn't mean to make you sound old, I just mean that your worry sounds like a 17 year olds. It's rediculously cute.

And now I'm sad that Husband will never get to impress my dad, again. Gah! This is what you and Brian have to look forward to.
Dec 21, 14 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

The internet continues to bring good things:

A PLEA FOR LIBERTY . Walter Burley Griffin
To improve our conditions requires change. The question is, what changes in our methods will open the doors to the greatest and most rapid progress?
In reviewing European communities we find the greatest progress in architecture, the nearest approach to solution of domestic requirements is found in that community which has fewest governmental restrictions.
If an architect is to solve a problem, he must be free to break away from established methods. Architects should therefore be responsible for their work and that responsibility should not be shifted.  Especially inefficient is the removing of that responsibility to a Board by which system it is impossible to locate responsibility. Experience shows that an architect who attempts to do a model house is
seriously hampered and usually totally prevented from carrying out such work, because the very fact that it is different means that it will not be passed by the authorities in control. This consequence is the very essence of the system of governmental restriction of building, since bodies politically constituted can lay down rules only by reference to and in accordance with what has been done and is the custom to
do.  We find, therefore, that we are compelled to build residences that are too large, too cumbersome, and too expensive. The net result when individual family accommodation cannot be provided at cost within means of those to be provided, is that these are overcrowded in the accommodation allowed.
The real problem of course is not concerned with better housing which is beyond the means of the people concerned, but with making opportunity for sufficient means for these people to have proper housing. As long as the land owners can raise the rent to correspond with the improvement of any
locality, there is small advantage to be derived from our efforts.
[Note: ==== Beginning of page 63 ====]
THE INDIVIDUAL
Page 717 of 923

Dec 22, 14 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Sincere condolences, Donna, to you and your family.

Dec 23, 14 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Jesus Christ..... just read a CNN page of opinion blaming the AIA for waterboarding...... implying that its our fault all of this happened because we designed the facilities where these things took place.... just kill me:)

Dec 23, 14 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
It was satire, right, Carrera?
Dec 23, 14 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

No Sarah its not, guy that wrote the opinion Is an architect and a member of AIA....he rests squarely the responsibility of torture on the AIA because it will not publicly denounced such things and stop designing certain types of prison facilities..... says AIA architects designed Guantanamo which makes AIA architects complacent to torture..... guys a nut but the fact that CNN put it on their front page is very troubling..... its all we need.

Dec 24, 14 12:00 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Peace and joy Necters.

Dec 24, 14 6:26 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

its always the architects fault.

Dec 24, 14 8:45 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

back at you vado!

Dec 24, 14 9:04 am  · 
 · 

Carrera, you're going a bit hyperbolic here. The AIA isn't being blamed for weatherboarding, it's being called out for not taking an ethical stand on the issue of torture.

Despite years of advocacy and formal requests, the AIA -- which claims as its members a majority of the roughly 110,000 architects in the United States -- has officially declined to add specific language to its code of ethics that would prohibit the design of torture chambers in U.S. prisons and around the world. In doing so, it cites anti-trust concerns and the potential difficulty of enforcing the prohibition, but it ignores the claims of human rights.

What a bunch of bullshit: a "code of ethics" that raises anti-trust concerns? 

When one's government routinely violates domestic and international law does that mean that it's OK for you to do it (aiding and abetting)? The only way anything is going to change is if people refuse to support corrupt governments and their actions. One would think that a bunch of highbrow architects - who claim control of the built environment while simultaneously lamenting their lack of control over it - would at least take a stand here for professional reasons if not moral ones. But instead it's all about getting commissions, good money - fat government contracts - in prison design. 

Hmmmm, tough choice. Humanitarian principles as clearly defined under domestic and international law or a fat contract? 

Fuck the AIA. It's beyond irrelevant 

Dec 24, 14 9:32 am  · 
 · 

Merry Christmas Archinecters. 

Blueprints make great wrapping paper.

Dec 24, 14 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Miles – I guess I don’t know exactly how I feel about it, but if someone came to me to build a gas chamber, I guess, because I don’t believe in the death penalty, I could refuse….but you know how things work in our business, the next guy would…..my refusal won’t stop anything so why refuse?  Think we are in a business to crank-out projects….just don’t get this “save the world” thing because most of us are in no position to accomplish that. To me I worked because I had to and while I had a lot of fun and got invited to do many great projects in my life I did it to make money so to survive in this capitalistic society that I didn’t invent. Just my point of view.

Merry Christmas to you Miles and everyone on Archinect!

Dec 24, 14 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Hoping everyone the Merriest of Mary Christmas!

Dec 24, 14 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Merry Christmas Archinecters!
Dec 24, 14 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
Cheers, all!
Dec 24, 14 8:23 pm  · 
 · 

Carrera, that's the age old problem. Do we design a "better" gas chamber because we're the better architect, or do we design it because the next guy will if we won't and we could sure use the dough? The first is ego, the second is simply selling out. Both violate your principles (because I don’t believe in the death penalty).

When we all decide not to violate our principles - by not designing gas chambers, not allowing our kids to go to Iraq or Afghanistan or Ukraine, etc. - these things won't happen. The future is rooted in the choices we make today.

Dec 25, 14 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Merry Christmas, All...

Dec 25, 14 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Merry Merry, everyone. I've watched three movies today and will likely see one more before bed. Given the ℅
Plexuty and exhaustion of the last month we decided today would be about completely relaxing. It's nice. But that said I really miss being in a houseful of people at the holidays. Maybe next year!
Dec 25, 14 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

carrera 

"My refusal won’t stop anything so why refuse?"

If you, personally, have any principles beyond making money it is a no brainer to turn down work that you think is unethical.  Otherwise you are just a dirtbag.

Dec 25, 14 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Don't think "dirtbag" describes me exactly..... just suggesting that while refusing might make you feel better it doesn't change anything..... guess it would be a good thing for the AIA to have a policy against giving the finger in public but it won't stop it..... this country has more laws and policies than a human can count but all of it doesn't really stop anything.... not my mantra just me wondering about such things.

Dec 25, 14 10:22 pm  · 
 · 

Actually, the only thing you have any real power to change is your own behavior. And by changing that you might just change something else. But if you don't you eliminate that possibility.

Buddha said everything is connected. Einstein called it spooky action at a distance. 

Maybe Einstein was a Buddhist?

Dec 25, 14 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

So your logic is because the next guy will do it you might as well do work that goes against your principles?  

Dec 25, 14 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Guess I follow Miles thinking..... we live in a hypocrisy and all we can do is follow our own compass and hope others will do the same.

Dec 25, 14 11:12 pm  · 
 · 

Hi TC! Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukah!

Been on the road since last Friday, Gainesville to Winston-Salem, Winston-Salem to Asheville, Asheville to Gainesville and then Gainesville to Plantation FL.

Getting ready to head back home and back to work tomorrow/Monday.

Of the 48 hrs i took off of work spending a total of like 35 in a car!

Dec 27, 14 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
That sounds like a busy vacation Nam! Do your legs still work after all that time spent sitting in a car?
Dec 28, 14 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Doesn't sound like a Vacation....sounds more like a "Road Trip."  

Dec 28, 14 7:16 pm  · 
 · 

yeah an AWESOME roadtrip. luckily most people who get in a car with me prefer to drive themselves, so i get lots of scenic viewing and newspaper reading and navigating in...

definitely need to do yoga this week! night, night...

Dec 28, 14 10:24 pm  · 
 · 

Looks like tammuz is gone. Can't say I miss him. 

Dec 29, 14 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
How do you figure that, Miles?
Dec 29, 14 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

His cause has fallen off the first page. Or maybe it was deleted? Not a complaint, just an observation.

Dec 29, 14 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
On the other hand, Richard is as loquacious and unhappy as ever.
Dec 30, 14 6:56 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

How was everyone's holiday? I helped house, entertain and feed 16 family members for 4 days. I'm still alive!

Dec 30, 14 8:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: