anchor

Dear NCARB:

tduds

Don't drink and internet. Whoops.

Sep 6, 16 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Follow through, Rick.  Follow through.

Either follow through with a psychotic meltdown in this thread, or follow through with your (P)rofessional development. You're not in a good place right now, and need to find your way to another one. 

Sep 6, 16 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

Just to make sure I'm following along...

Ricky got the cops called on him because he intimidated a 60-year-old woman by complaining about the fact that he didn't want to take the SAT because he's afraid that if he steps foot on a high school campus some teenager will claim he molested her? 

I never said to her that I wouldn't take the SAT for those reasons. What I said to her is the SAT is not a valid measurement for determining a student's success in architecture. The subject matter that the SAT deals with, I have already addressed in college classes. The SAT is for aptitude and placement based on lower-division placement at Universities. I also stated I would prefer to take the SAT at the University vs. a high school campus. At the time, the SATs weren't offered on the University. The alternative I could take is the GRE. I did complain that requesting SAT scores when the University itself doesn't require it when the SAT has absolutely nothing to do with architecture is ridiculous.  

I reviewed the portfolios of other students that did get in and I frankly said like it is. I'm sure these students had continued on to develop their knowledge and skills in architecture, their work weren't shiny examples of people who knew how to do architectural design. What is crap is crap. What is crap in a fancy template is still crap just crap wrapped up in a fancy template. Personally, I'm not interested in fancy template background. 

In short, I'd be studying architect to become an architect not to make fancy magazine covers. I maybe a bit old school in that there is no fancy covers. I like keeping it pretty straightforward and communicating design. 

If I were to take the SAT, I'd prefer to take the test at a college campus or similar facilities vs. going around a high school campus. It's insulting for a person who has been in college for over a decade to go to a high school campus to take a test that you're not suppose to take after graduated from high school or equivalent with GED. 

With millions of dollars the University gets, don't you think the architecture department can't come up with some aptitude test relevant to architecture?

Don't you think AIA and NAAB and NCARB can't come up with something on the order?

They can come up with an exam for licensing. Why not an exam for gauging aptitude in architecture.

They get my portfolio, admission application and my transcripts when I apply to the program.

Whatever........

Sep 6, 16 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

i guess that's balkin's standard of care and code of ethics?  

really, can balkin's be banned now?  he's shown evidence in his personal and "professional" life that he has no business being on here.  

this guy is a creepy fuck with a fucked up life that doesn't need to be on a forum dedicated to architecture.  

this is really a new low for archinect.  that somehow it's okay to have someone dominate every thread with bullshit and now find out he's a violent misogynist. 

Where the hell in your retarded, fucked up mind, do you draw a conclusion of me being a violent misogynist?

Where do you get 'violent'? Have I physically beat or harmed Donna or other women on this forum? No. Would I? Hell know.

I don't hate women or distrust them because they are a woman. I'd confront a man the same damn way. 

Just because I distrust an individual person does not mean that I distrust women because they are women. I distrust a person because of what that person does not because of their gender.

Sep 6, 16 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

It's called the GRE.  Why not just take that?  Let me guess, the testing facility is in a gang infested neighborhood and the nearest bus stop is a mile away and next to a forest where the Sasquatch was seen...

Sep 6, 16 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

Follow through, Rick.  Follow through.

Either follow through with a psychotic meltdown in this thread, or follow through with your (P)rofessional development. You're not in a good place right now, and need to find your way to another one. 

You're right. These guys just trying to piss me off to the point of a psychotic meltdown. I should proceed with following through on my professional development and things that matters more than debating with a cluster fuck of ass-hats.

Sep 6, 16 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

jla-x,

I could but the GRE wasn't particularly listed with regards to admissions requirements for undergraduate. 

If I do bother to apply again, I'll send them the admissions applications, portfolios, etc. with GRE Score. If they don't like it, they can screw themselves.

Sep 6, 16 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Balkins, you won't apply again anyways.

Sep 6, 16 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
You're a fucking piece of shit Balkins. Your narcissism knows no boundaries.

Go fuck off and rot in your parents basement.
Sep 6, 16 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No-Form, I am pretty certain he's got the rotting in his parent's basement part down. It might, in fact, be the only thing he's actually good at.

Richard Balkins: professional fraud and amateur basement dweller.

The advertisement against homeschool writes itself.

Sep 6, 16 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

I think you are leaving out something.  It's not that the SAT is absolutely required for entry to the major.  The universities policy, at least at that time - I don't know about today - was that the SAT was required for transfer students seeking entry to competitive majors, when their GPA from previous college-level work was below 2.5.  In other words you somehow managed to spend 10+ years doing nothing but part-time community college and didn't manage a C+ cumulative average.  It seems like a good policy to me - because when there is limited space in a major, why give it to somebody who has proven themselves a poor student in the past, refuses to take the SAT to help provide some evidence of aptitude to contradict that GPA, and yells and threatens the administration, when there is probably a stronger candidate right in line behind that one?

Sep 6, 16 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

^ Exactly. Tulane required that I get both my SAT and High School transcripts when I transferred in, even though I had a 3.8 GPA while at IUPUI. So, I drove down to Columbus one day, got both from my high school/school corporation administration, and sent them off. I don't get why someone would be so adamant to let an exam keep them from accomplishing their goals, unless they are actively looking for an excuse.

Also, someone pop some popcorn please. 

Sep 6, 16 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Just tossing this out there: being a successful architect requires a lot more shutting up and slogging through trivial bullshit than sitting for the SAT. If you can't suck it up and get past that tiny hurdle, your career outlook is pretty bleak.

Sep 6, 16 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Also, I'd *love* to see this portfolio that's objectively so much better than a bunch of freshmen.

Sep 6, 16 4:19 pm  · 
 · 

^ I mean, it does have the Astoria Theater in it.

To a certain extent, it is good to have confidence in your work. But to have too much confidence causes you not to question your first pass, which leads to bad design most of the time.

Sep 6, 16 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

Sponty,

I think you are leaving out something.  It's not that the SAT is absolutely required for entry to the major.  The universities policy, at least at that time - I don't know about today - was that the SAT was required for transfer students seeking entry to competitive majors, when their GPA from previous college-level work was below 2.5.  

The University didn't require the SAT. The Department of Architecture did. Get it?

My GPA at CCC was higher than 2.5.

Sep 6, 16 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

...the SAT was required for transfer students seeking entry to competitive majors, when their GPA from previous college-level work was below 2.5.

The architecture is a competitive major.  Get it?

Look at it from the architecture department's side:  they've got a limited number of spots.  They've got no shortage of applicants with adequate portfolios and solid past GPAs.  They've also got this angry, belligerant guy with sucky grades and no portfolio, who refuses to take the SAT and scares people.  Such a tough decision.

Sep 6, 16 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Balkins, is the CCC not just some glorified high-school for "adults" anyways? What's a 2.5 there worth vs a 2.5 at a real post secondary place?

Sep 6, 16 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

As for "my GPA at CCC was higher than 2.5" - no, it wasn't.  Are you forgetting that you posted your entire transcript online?  This is a little like earlier in this thread where you said "I never hosted a page of pictures of that woman" - until someone dug up the link - and then the story changes to "uh... yeah... I recall now that I did that, but, um, they weren't mine, they were my friend the stalker's pictures".  What happens as soon as I find the sub-2.5 transcript?....  "oh yeah... now I remember that I had that really bad year where I failed every class because my cat died and I didn't have lunch money and I was so busy repairing the spindlework on my porch..."???

Sep 6, 16 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

I'm not sure we should engage Balkins anymore on anything.  This whole thing with threatening the administrator and his insecurities about being around underage girls is really sick.  He needs help.  

He doesn't belong on here airing out his personal problems.  Same for architecture.  He has no place talking about it like he is one.  

Sep 6, 16 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

Sponty, 

My GPA at CCC on the transcript was certainly above 2.5 GPA when I started classes at UO.

I can show you but I won't because you its one of those things protected under FERPA. 

Sep 6, 16 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
You didn't take the SAT? You had a 2.5 at community college? WTF man. I mean, really. Come on.
Sep 6, 16 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

a good ol' fashioned ncarb bashing thread ruined by balkins the turd - talk about going south quick - king of the trolls attacks again.

Sep 6, 16 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Balsweat: Is FERPA some kind of gag order? It's your transcript - show it if you want to. Don't hide behind some BS reg.

Sep 6, 16 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Ballskin reminds me of these two guys I went to high school with, they swore they knew a ton of shit about cars, women, and drugs. Hell, you'd think they were the best of friends, that they hung in the same circles. The one kid, his name was Didley, the other, his nickname, was Squat. It turns out, Didley didn't know Squat, and Squat didn't know Didley, but man, could the roll a sweet, sweet ass joint, and roast the tires on their mom's 1976 Plymouth Volare; yes, they were brothers.

Sep 6, 16 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

I had a big long response, but screw it. You're beyond reproach. Complete fucking narcissist.

I''m glad I sat on an admissions committee pro-bono if it kept anyone even remotely similar to you out of this profession. Good riddance.

Sep 6, 16 6:54 pm  · 
 · 

gruen & Sponty,

My cumulative GPA at Clatsop Community College is by above 2.5 GPA. It has  been that way since 2011. 

Sep 6, 16 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

is he still not banned?

Sep 6, 16 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Clatsop, sounds like Last Chance U.
Sep 6, 16 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
It does not bode well for the college when one of its alumni is Ricky Balkaruna.

Hopefully he did gave to spend too much of his parents money on that garbage "above" 2.5 gpa bulldhit education.
Sep 6, 16 8:58 pm  · 
 · 

N.S.,

Parent's money..... LOL. Really. What dream world do you live in?

Clatsop Community College is an accredited college. You are not.

Sep 6, 16 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Parents money is not a big stretch given you still live in their house but you're right Balkini on one thing: I am not a college. Gold star for you.

However, your education and professional career are still bullshit. 

Sep 6, 16 9:19 pm  · 
 · 

@tduds, that is the only way to do it, right?

Sep 6, 16 9:38 pm  · 
 · 

Do you want to what bullshit is? 

Talking to assholes like yourself. Yes, it is a bullshit waste of time because no matter what you are told, you are going to twist up what is told to you just because you are an asshole. 

Therefore, if I become a licensed architect, it will be done with no credit to you fucktards.

As for software and video game development, it never was, never is and never will be to any with any credit to you. You couldn't even program a program in BASIC other than a copy & paste of 'hello world'. 

Sep 6, 16 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Talking to assholes like yourself. Yes, it is a bullshit waste of time

So stop. I dare you.

Sep 6, 16 9:55 pm  · 
 · 

Alright yapping monkey fucks, since C64 is too archaic to your neanderthal brains, I'll put the video game together on PC executable binary form and develop it in C with the AmigaAnywhere API and put you naysayer too shame in all full brilliance of 16.7+ Million "techno-colors" with modern high fidelity polyphonic music and sound effects. 

Same relative timeline as well.

Sep 7, 16 12:06 am  · 
 · 

the video game -> a video game

Sep 7, 16 12:28 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Do it.

You won't.

Sep 7, 16 1:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Ricky, all you ever do is confirm our observations. You know nothing about architecture, building sledding, or programming. You're a pathetic failure and a walking "stay in school kids" billboard.

You won't do what you say because you're too lazy and incompetent. You also will not be s licensed architect because you can't even understand basic construction. Good luck emerging from anything else than a dust collector wasting away in your parents basement.

You're jealous that so many people here have and excell at things you can only dream of. We get that, you make ur obvious with every post. Just come to term with reality and understand that you simply do not have the quality of character to join us.
Sep 7, 16 4:15 am  · 
 · 

Non Sequitur,

You think I can't design and develop a video game. Okay. What would you think if I put a video game together? Hmmm......... We'll see. 

Sep 7, 16 5:08 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

haha rick. no not happening

Sep 7, 16 7:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Ricky, let's just say I'm not cancelling my weekend plans just in case there is a big unveiling.
Sep 7, 16 7:42 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

All I wanted to do was bitch about NCARB

Sep 7, 16 10:21 am  · 
 · 

Lets get back to that. I honestly don't get why it cost $225 a year for a certificate versus $85 for a record. The paper certificate they send you can't cost that much.

Sep 7, 16 10:30 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

This really isn't funny anymore.  Rick, you need to stop posting (or keep it directly related to the thread topic, and short to the point) and the few other posters that are continuously antagonizing Rick need to grow up some too.

Now, go to your rooms.  No dinner tonight.

Sep 7, 16 10:50 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

But Josh! The certificate is embossed. And it has a shiny sticker!

Sep 7, 16 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

NCARB's explanation for the $85 vs. $225 is that the pre-license people are being subsidized by the post-license people.  The $225 supposedly also subsidizes the costs of the ARE.  They have also said that the $225 also pays for the time supposedly involved with verifying and keeping records of the various states in which one is licensed.  That would make more sense to me if they hadn't also claimed that the $400+ transmittal fee that they charge every time you want to transmit your record was also going toward those same activities.  If my $225 has already paid for them to check out and record anything new that I report to them each year (like getting licensed in each additional state, or letting a license lapse, or meeting my state's continuing ed requirements) then they already have that on record - so when I ask for that record to be transmitted it should just involve pushing a few buttons.... shouldn't it?

Sep 7, 16 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

Completely agree with you Bloopox. If my $225 a year covered transmittals too, I'd be fine with it. 

I don't really have too much of an issue subsidizing ARE/AXP records. 

Sep 7, 16 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

I'm posting only to echo On the fence: Please, everyone, stop egging Richard on. If we want him to be quiet, which I think most people here do, we need to just ignore him. This thread has gotten far out of hand.

Sep 7, 16 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

So, they're claiming the fee is partially paying for verification of licensure???  They sent me an email saying I needed to have a form filled out by the state of Virginia. Then attached the form.

In the time they took to do that, they could have gone to VA's website, looked up my name, and confirmed licensure.  Instead, I ended up paying $35 for Virginia to do the verification, and waiting another month or two for my certification from NCARB.  Giant waste of time and money.  

Like I said before, my initial certification fee was waived because I maintained my record the entire time. 

Sep 7, 16 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: