Archinect
anchor

Dear NCARB:

They will when I'm registered ... but not if you're just a candidate. They will reimburse you for exams when you pass, but not for failed exams. 

It kinda sucks, but I get it. The firm doesn't want to pay for people who don't finish the process. They are willing to pay for progress, but not maintenance. I'm sure we can all think of someone who would forever be a candidate and would continually need to renew their record just in case they get enough drive to finish one day.

Sep 2, 16 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

David, I'd assume most firms would pay fees, but I'm currently a student.  I'd be much happier to pay NCARB if I was making money practicing as an intern architect or as an architect.  

Sep 2, 16 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

WHAT THE CRAP?

Seriously man.  This thread topic can not be even remotely interesting to you.  Yet here we sit talking about C64 pc's and you writing a software programs, or not, for it.  Go start a C64 video game thread and have at it.

Sep 2, 16 4:12 pm  · 
 · 

Let us not forget that Rick is listed at various places on the interwebs as being born in 1981.  So, he made his massive contributions to these Millions of 80's Commodore users before the age of 10.  That is a serious accomplishment.  Just think what he could have done had he been a bit older.  

senjohnblutarsky,

Well, the C64 market was a big market at the time. Best selling personal computer. While my sales may not have been to every single one of them. That would be outrageously impressive marketshare and sales of any video game title at that time. However, even a fraction of that wasn't necessarily bad. My locale at the time was the Los Angeles area. 

By age 11, I knew what I wanted to be in life.  Difference?  I followed through with it.  All I want is for Rick to follow through.  Then he can post here about his NCARB problems. 

I do see the criticism for not following through.

Sep 2, 16 4:19 pm  · 
 · 

On the Fence,

You can't possibly be interested in NCARB. Wow.... NCARB charging you $85.... wow.... how's that very exciting.... seeing the OP's middle finger.  Just hold up your own.

Sep 2, 16 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

Note: Richard Balkins, RickB-OR, RWCB_PBD, does not hold an NAAB-accredited degree or foreign equivalent.  He is not a licensed architect in the United States or abroad.  He is not an experienced design professional.

Sep 2, 16 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Untitled-169b7

Sep 2, 16 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

N.S.,

You're below creationists. They had to trash everything below that.

Sep 2, 16 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Ummmmm, an your evidence for that acustation are where?
Sep 2, 16 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

you. It's written in your DNA.

Sep 2, 16 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I'm telling you Balkins, dress like sloth and run Goonies tours...you will Make good money.  

Sep 2, 16 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Jla he can't unless he's going to get paid. Would take him too much time and effort with no guarantee. Way too much for Dick Ballskin to attempt.
Sep 2, 16 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

DNA?

Sep 2, 16 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Told ya he wouldn't.

Sep 2, 16 9:59 pm  · 
 · 

tduds,

Have you ever created video games before? 

I doubt it. Before you put the cart before the horse, wouldn't you think  one needs to think about the video game? What it is going to be? What the game objectives are ? What are the game mechanics? How are the game mechanics going to be? What are the graphical assets are? How they will the game asset be produced? 

Even with the C64, that's a lot of work going on. When the current generation of C64 media is micro-SD / SD and in case of emulator users... any media on the PC. This means we are talking gigabytes scale. That means there is a shit load of content development. 

Do the math and we are looking at over 1 hour of NUVIE videos stringing along a bunch of .REU files of NUVIE video clips. When you look at 4gb or 8gb microSD / SD modules, There would be a lot of coding, graphics/bitmaps, sound effects/music, etc. 

Don't you think there would be quite a bit of work involved. Therefore, as a complete package, there is quite a bit of work still involved and a lot more than 1980s era commercial C64 video games which were usually less than two 1.44 Megabyte (formatted at 1.6 MBytes on CMD FD-2000 disk drive) 3.5" floppy disks or multiple 5.25" floppy disks formatted on the 1541 Floppy disk. Those disk drives were basically 171KB disk image per disk side. Do the math, you are looking at 9 disk sides per FD-2000 disks.

An 8GB micro-SD would be equivalent to 49,000+ 1541-formatted (or .D64 disk image) disk sides worth of content. 

Even half a gigabyte worth of content is a lot and I mean a lot of work for a C64 project. I would have to fill a lot of that up with video clips that would be generate with PC animation tools and converted into NUVIE format. 

It's still a lot of work to produce something that uses up a lot of SD/micro-SD space. It's a lot to do on a C64.

Would you not think there just might be a lot more work than a day? 

It took a lot of time to make video games on the C64 even in the 1980s. 

Sep 2, 16 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
How's that game coming Balkins? Guess you can't prove me wrong. Guess you don't know shit about programming or gaming. Guess I win and you lose. As always.
Sep 3, 16 2:42 am  · 
 · 

no_form,

A game that would be considered 'AAA' in the context of C64 games, we have to contextually assess it in like kind. Comparing a C64 game to that of a video games for a Windows 8/10 PC would be outrageously unfair. Therefore, it would be best to compare to that of big hits. After all, back at the time, the term 'AAA' was not used. 

A close comparison would be the Nintendo Seal of Quality for the NES and you might say the big sellers from the big name C64 video game publishers like Electronic Arts, Activision, Sierra, Mastertronics, etc. Basically, their big hits. 

The current "AAA" titles for the C64 would be games like Metal Dust and Newcomer by Protovision, and games like those with the scale of quality and comprehensiveness. 

You are talking about a lot of work which by any measure. If you think some strange magic or miracle that a video game of that scale can be developed in 24 hours or even one week, you are insanely stupid.

No one can make a commercial quality Commodore 64 video game in one or two days by themselves or a team of ANY SIZE. 

It just doesn't work that way. That's like saying you can design and build an entire skyscraper in a single day. 

I never said I could do something like that in a day to create a commercial video game for the C64 in a single day. 

If you think you can, give it your best shot.

Don't even attempt to pass off someone else's work as your own. Don't attempt to pass off existing work as new. It has to be new. If I see it somewhere else, I'll be on you about it.

Sep 3, 16 4:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

oh, I am sure all of ricky's life work fits nicely on a single 5-1/4" floppy.

Sep 3, 16 5:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"Don't even attempt to pass off someone else's work as your own. Don't attempt to pass off existing work as new. It has to be new. If I see it somewhere else, I'll be on you about it."

says the serial copy-paste masturbator.

Sep 3, 16 5:17 am  · 
 · 

Of course the term 'AAA' is marketing buzzword and there is no absolute direct correlation of quality, or budget or anything. Games developed for C64 in the 1980s were very different than modern PC games so a direct correlation is iffy at best. What I am saying is even with some loosy goosey correlation of budget or more product outcome. The commercial games on the high end tier (which we typically associate with the terms "AAA" these days, back then were developed on quite paltry budgets in today's terms but more closely associated with quality, in depth game design, etc. They would have a high standard of QA associated with the development of titles.

They just weren't just slapped together over a weekend.

While I wouldn't be financing the direct capital like a 'AAA' title we think of today or even the big publishing/developer studios back in the 1980s but then if I do it, the cash value equity is in my labor not in the capital shelled out to other people. It's the quality and outcome that matters in contextual related metrics like comparing this C64 games to other commercial C64 games past and present. Comparing in like terms. 

There certainly not the user base for millions of  copies type of sales like there was in the 1980s.

Sep 3, 16 5:22 am  · 
 · 

N.S.,

Buzz off.

Sep 3, 16 5:24 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

ricky, no one here is impressed.

Sep 3, 16 5:25 am  · 
 · 

N.S.,

You don't impress me. Quit defending no_form. Let that pansy defend himself. How big of you guys to gang up on one person like chickenshit gang bangers.

Can't you shit heads fight me mano a mano.

Sep 3, 16 5:29 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

you don't offer much of a challenge ricardo.

Sep 3, 16 6:03 am  · 
 · 
Schoon

Rick, let's see a design doc for your game.  You know how to write those, right?  Surely if you intend on producing and releasing a game for sale you should have a basic idea, genre, and mechanics outlined?  

Any competent developer can bang one out in a few hours, provided they actually have the idea in mind.  Which it appears you do. 

Sep 3, 16 10:42 am  · 
 · 
gruen
If I could make $150k in my spare time I'd just hurry up and do it. Or, really it's $0? I can't tell because rick said both.
Sep 3, 16 10:46 am  · 
 · 
no_form
So how's that game coming RickB-BSMNT? Looks like you're not going to make one. Loser. Guess you won't be making $150k any time soon.
Sep 3, 16 11:41 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Have you ever created video games before? 

I doubt it.

If you really think I can't or don't know how to develop software, I'll prove I can even to this day. 

Lets start with your stupid ass claim with regard to the Commodore 64. Software ranges from all kinds.I'll prove to your sorry ass that I can put together a C64 video game for commercial release. 

There's still a user's base and a not too crowded market. It'll take some time putting together the programming code and the sprites and the C64 'bitmap graphics' together and even SID chip tune and sfx. I had usually had SID stuff done by someone else but it may take a little bit to do. Software development quite often involves developing project teams so outsourcing SID tunes and sfx isn't unusual. There's about 15,000 or so world wide... more or less. Hard to ascertain as the numbers fluctuates and even then, what criteria do you go on? C64 hardware users? C64 emulator users which can easily skyrocket into the tens or even hundreds of millions when the emulator is a free download on PC (Windows, Mac, Linux) and other platforms. 

Even if only 5000 paid $30 on the software, that's $150K. That would take care of the student loans and then some.

Sep 3, 16 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

tduds,

What I said did not mean I or anyone can write an entire commercial video game for the C64 or any computer, console, tablet, smart phone, etc. platforms in a SINGLE day or two. 

Sep 3, 16 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I'll prove to your sorry ass that I can put together a C64 video game for commercial release. 

What I said did not mean I or anyone can write an entire commercial video game for the C64

Sep 3, 16 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Then take a year. It's still good pay. I'd do it.
Sep 3, 16 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins can't do it. We all know it.
Sep 3, 16 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

We all know that he won't do it, and that he will claim it's all our fault, somehow, that he could not do it, and that it wasn't worth doing anyway, and that he's much too busy with "other projects".

What he CAN do - if anything - is not something any of us know, and he doesn't know himself, because he's never done anything.  I think he's never done anything because he's afraid to find out that there are things he can't do.  As long as he just talks about things, and pretends to be doing things, he'll never have to find out that maybe he can't design a game or a building or a house plan, or hold a job, or live on his own.

Sep 3, 16 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Ahem. What happened to not talking about him anymore?

Sep 3, 16 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

We are flawed, emotional creatures.

Sep 3, 16 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

Sep 3, 16 5:31 pm  · 
 · 

Then take a year. It's still good pay. I'd do it.

gruen, 

It'll be an on-going process so a year or so is realistic for any commercial level video game. Even 1/3 of $150,000 would still be respectable amount of money for one person's time over a year. 

Sep 3, 16 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

So do it.

Sep 3, 16 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
I wonder how those other sites finally bid Ballskid adieu.
Sep 3, 16 8:05 pm  · 
 · 

b3tadine,

There was no 'finally bid.......adieu' of any kind.

Sep 3, 16 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

well can you leave already. 

you suck as human.

Sep 3, 16 8:25 pm  · 
 · 

Being human isn't something to aspire to. 

Sep 3, 16 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

^yes, we know, you've proven that very well.

Sep 3, 16 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

I was going to compliment you Rick, but now I'm curious.

what the hell you aspiring to?

Sep 3, 16 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Being human isn't something to aspire to. 

that's actually a very interesting proposition.  or i drank too much.  or both.

essentially, existentialism is the study of existence, so to say 'i think therefore i am' is sort of on the same lines as 'i'm human, therefore i'm human.'  so, you would have to sort of say to aspire to be human also assumes there is something along the lines of not aspiring to be human.  so what does that mean?  are you really aspiring to be something other than human?  something like zarathustra, that might be 'more than human' so to speak?  how do you do that rick?  how is it working for you?  i've read a bit along those lines, and it seems the decisions you make are not complimentary to that sort of lifestyle.  or do you see 'not human' as a devolutionary thing, like maybe becoming all id or just getting rid of the superego or something like that?

it would be nice if there was some content behind what you said there.  suppose that's just poking at the dark though.

you could do it olaf.  i know you could respond for rick, one way or the other.

Sep 3, 16 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

curt I haven't drank enough yet and been distracted by work and college football all day, give me a few, but lets see if ricki can do it first.

Sep 3, 16 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

"Whoever is the wisest among you is also a mere conflict and cross between plant and ghost. But do I bid you become ghosts or plants?

--zarathustra, or someone like that.  i don't even know.

huskers should have done better, but then a W is a W and at this point, you're building a season, not looking back at your season.  what happened to oklahoma?  i don't know what you people talk about in new york. . . .

maybe rick is a savant of some type.  like, we can pull out something useful.  i don't know.  if he can't pull off a good and understandable expression of existentialism, i believe he needs to be banned.

Sep 3, 16 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

curt, you are correct, bots can't do existentialism no matter how well you program them.  I'm a philosopher, I should know.

W is a W, go Husker nation.  and my two upsets happened - Houston beat Oklahoma and Wisconsin beat LSU.  I really think if Les Miles had Lane Kiffin on offense LSU would be unbeatable...

Sep 3, 16 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0E0ynyIUsg

Sep 4, 16 10:56 am  · 
 · 
gruen
I think rick has a history of negative interactions with people, thus his lack of desire to aspire to be human. Rick, don't take it personally man, it's just a result of your condition, the rules are different than they appear to you, and you break as many as it appears that we do.
Sep 4, 16 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: