University of Pennsylvania (Robert)

Let the games begin...2 weeks ago.

Hasselhoff Jan 18 '07 11

Sorry it took so long to post, but I don't have really anything to talk about. I'm part time this semester, just studio and professional practice. I have KTA. Basically I will graduate with one more credit than we need and save about $4000 by going PT. There were some cool classes to take had I needed the credit, but nothing that interested me enough to spend $4000 on when I didn't need it. Also helping out a friend/teacher with her first year of teaching a class, so that's kind of fun. Starting to get the word out in Japan for a few leads with regards to work after graduation. That's about it. Nothing too exciting to talk about. Peace.

• Arnaud M.
      Jan 18, 07 12:49 pm

Don't you guys have to do a thesis project to graduate?

Hasselhoff
      Jan 18, 07 5:09 pm

Nope

AP
      Jan 18, 07 5:11 pm

word.

enjoy your relatively laid back semester, and good luck on the japan job hunt...

Arnaud M.
      Jan 18, 07 8:59 pm

I thought a thesis project was required in all masters...

Barry LehrmanBarry Lehrman
      Jan 18, 07 9:09 pm

Thesis at penn is an option for the masochists and egoists. the rest of the kids just get to take one more studio. so typically about 10% of each class ends up bushwhacking into the unknown of a thesis...

Hasselhoff
      Jan 18, 07 9:21 pm

Or as is the case this year, 1.3%.

Arnaud M.
      Jan 19, 07 8:00 am

What's the rationale for not having a mandatory thesis for all students?

Hasselhoff
      Jan 19, 07 8:19 am

Dunno. Similarly only 5/75 or so did the Stewardson competition. They just sent all 5. My reasoning for not doing it was, our vacation is short, I was finishing my portfolio, and it was another god damn school. 50% of my architectural education has been schools. I hate schools. I've gotten the "Oh you should be good at it! Do it!" No, I hate them. HATE them.

brand avenue
      Jan 19, 07 9:53 am

I thought the Stewardson, like the Dales, was required. ?

I don't think it's fair to characterize thesis at penn as an option for masochists and egoists.

treekiller
      Jan 19, 07 10:48 am

Thesis at Penn is a chance for independent study - not all students are mature enough, passionate enough, organized enough, focused enough to know what they want to investigate and stay motivated through the arduous year-long research, development, design process.

if you look at the quality of thesis projects at penn compared to those manditory everybody does one schools, the quality of the work at penn is much, much better (I know these are fighting words). I've seen lots of half-hearted, half-assed thesis projects from places like princeton. All those students would have benefited by having another studio where they are spoon fed process and project criteria.

Hasselhoff
      Jan 19, 07 12:11 pm

Nope, Stewardson was optional. Our carrot was "the honor of the school." HAHAHA, that is what I did. Couldn't believe we were supposed to be stoked to "Honor the school." Let's have a pep rally. YAY!

• Hasselhoff