Archinect
anchor

Proprietary information / legal issues / ethics for work shown in portfolio

Proprietary information / legal issues / ethics for work shown in portfolio

I am 2 years out of school now and compiling work from my first job to apply for a new one. I am working on a project that is under construction at the moment and have worked on several competitions and other projects that are on-going. Are there any ethical or legal issues I need to be aware of when copying or printing drawings on which I have worked for my portfolio?

There are other posts that deal with showing work that is only partially yours due to the nature of team work, but I am mainly concerned that my current employer does not want me sharing their information with other potential employers.

One firm I am applying to is a direct competitor. The other is not. While I would like to go to my marketing department and ask what is fair game, I cannot readily share with them that I am actively pursuing other employment.

Examples of the types of things I intend to use:
1. stacking diagram and project rendering that were done prior to me joining the firm that illustrate the big picture of the very large (over a million SF) project I have been working on.
2. images of construction, not necessarily images taken by me but of areas/conditions that I have dealt with.
3. Construction documents of plans, sections, elevations, & details
4. user group plans, leed documentation plans, 3D slices
5. Photographs of models built for competitions
6. Axonometric stacking diagrams for a competition in which the interview has taken place and the firm was chosen for the project
7. schematic design documents with enlarged wall sections for a project going into CD's now

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insight.

Jun 25, 10 11:15 pm
Urbanist

given that your firm has a mktg dept, it seems like it is a big corporate one. Such firms generally have written portfolio policies. It may be attached to your employment agmt, be in your employee handbook or even available on the firm intranet site. If not, HR can give it to you. Best to first consult the policy before you seek outside advice.

Jun 25, 10 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
LauraSteele

just checked the employee handbook and office guidelines. there was nothing regarding the use of firm work for personal portfolios. I saw that there is another post about showing professional work on a personal website. most people seemed to think it was fine with permission. so, it sounds like I need to obtain permission. how do I do this without damaging my relationship with my employer?

Jun 25, 10 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
The Job Captain

use a little common sense and discretion. don't show top secret projects, and don't put the work on your website. don't steal intellectual property, like other people's inventions. give people due credit for their contributions to projects or images. as long as you're respectful and you make sure that hardcopy remains in your possession, you should be fine. you should expect a little discretion on the part of the interviewers as well.

Jun 26, 10 12:49 am  · 
 · 
PencilPusher

The job I had out of school for 8 months was like this as well. They said they did not have a problem sharing images of projects, as long as they were approved by a managing personnel. They said they understand the need for people to keep their portfolios up-to-date and wouldn't assume it was because they were going out looking for a job, i.e.: "We know people move around in this industry and also know that people like to just be prepared." First thing I would do is ask and act like you are just trying to get up-to-date images for your portfolio. I do believe (not certain) there are laws about a place of employment needing to allow you to show evidence to potential future employers of the work you performed.

Jun 26, 10 7:18 am  · 
 · 

it' also important when you use an image to describe your role in a project: whether you were project manager, designer, drafting support, spec writer. if you drew the dumpster enclosure for the cds, for instance, you probably shouldn't be filling a full page of your portfolio with the primary rendering of the project.

Jun 26, 10 7:40 am  · 
 · 

sizzle, you've been there for two years which means you now have a backlog of projects/images to catch up on (it's like keeping your IDP records - you ned to stay on top of it so you're not suddenly compiling 3 years of points all at one). You can certainly ask, respectfully, for permission to use project images now because you are "trying to keep your portfolio up to date", without the reason given being "because I'm looking for a new job".

One very important point: some project contracts have non-disclosure agreements. A research lab may not want any competitors to know the layout of their space, for example, or a store working on branding doesn't want a competitor to see what their new brand rollout is going to look like. It's VERY important to get permission to use an image for a project like this - you will get in far more trouble for causing your firm to break a non-disclosure agreement than you will for showing the potential new employer the money shot when what you worked on was the dumpster enclosures! ;-)

One other thing: if you're in a job you like and don't want to risk rocking the boat, you can also go ahead and compile all the images you WANT to use now, and if you get laid off later you can ask permission THEN for what you are allowed to use - that saves time when you are almost out the door. Just don't use the ones later that they tell you not to.

Jun 26, 10 10:44 am  · 
 · 
LauraSteele

Great advice, thank you.
I have all the images I need; I've been collecting them as I go along because about 3 months starting my job the layoffs began. It was then I realized how difficult it is to get and keep a job. Now that there is a little wiggle room in the market I feel like I can risk it and make a change of city and switch to a smaller office. Also, for the record..I did not just draw the damn dumpster!.. Have a good weekend everyone.

Jun 26, 10 11:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: