Archinect
anchor

GRE AW score 3.0, Need to retake the test?

smileus

Hi,
I am a M.arch applicant and would like to try some top schools. Currently I got my GRE score which is V 550 Q 730 A 3.0. I guess my verbal score is OK for me because English is not my native language. But the AW score 3.0 makes me so upset coz it seems so low.
My question is that does the score block my chance to those top schools? Do i need to retake the test?
I have been seaching on this forum but few posts talking about GRE aw score so I bring my question here. Any advice will be appreciated!!!

Jun 10, 10 2:40 am
C-anad

I believe that your scores are good, and ur verbal is perfect as an international student. I think u better focus on your portfolio and SOP (statement of purpose) from now on.

Jun 10, 10 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

GRE V 570 Q 660 AW 2.5

I didn't think it was that bad, until I started seeing other peoples scores.

I plan on just applying with it, assuming the GRE scores aren't heavily weighted in Arch program, much less the Analytical Writing section.

It did make me feel pretty dumb though, but considering I suck at writing essays and got like Cs in English, I don't really plan on retaking it unless I'm told that's the reason I got declined.

PS English is my first (and pretty much only) language, since I live in America.

Basically I would think that, unless students at your school(s) do more research than design projects for their thesis, you should be ok.

Anyways, here's what ETS sends you along with your GRE scores:

3 and 2.5 - Displays some competent in analytical writing, although the writing is flawed in at least one of the following ways: limited analysis development; weak organization; weak control of sentence structure or language usage, with errors that often result in vagueness or lack of clarity.

Mind you, I don't know which one of the 3 or 4 essays I had to write was actually scored, but I pretty much only gave 1 page worth of text before I gave up and moved on. Perhaps I didn't write enough....I don't know.

Anyway, stress over your portfolio until you actually have a reason to worry about this, that's my two cents.

Jun 10, 10 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
Endooo

If it's any consolation, retaking the test is always an option, and it's not necessarily an option that would hurt your chances.

Someone from the admissions committee at the GSD told me that when looking at retakes, they place more emphasis on the most recent score if the exam was retaken a while after your first try (i.e. 6-8 months), whereas if they were written within a brief time period of each other they would be looked at as a whole.

She also told me though, that the GRE was just one part of your application, and it wasn't necessarily the most important part. I believe your portfolio and personal statement are much more heavily weighted.

Jun 10, 10 11:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: