Archinect
anchor

Using Current work drawings/photos for portfolio

J.

So I have a question for others that have been in a similar situation. I was wondering if those that have created websites for their portfolios have run into a delema on what to show for current work experience.

I am basically wondering what I should show from working on? Is it too soon to show some work? Does it need to be built? Would my firm be upset to see some of their work on a website? What should I do?

I am currently employed at this firm, but am looking to become more marketable so I can make a move later...what should I do to show my current work experience?

Jun 7, 10 3:47 pm
madesign

If the work you are doing right now is through a firm, it would be good etiquette to ask the owner/ principal architect if you may show your work on your own website as long as you provide credit (or a link to) his/her firm. That's what I did with my ex-employer, and he was happy to oblige. Keep in mind that even though it's your work it's still the property of the firm under which you created it.
And no, it doesn't need to be built--I have a healthy amount of interest in my ongoing projects, judging from the traffic those projects get per Google Analytics data.

Jun 7, 10 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
J.

Ok, that makes perfect sense...and I have been wondering about google analytics, do you have a flash website? I have a flash website and can't figure out where/ how to put the code for the google analytics on my website.

Jun 7, 10 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

J. im running a flash website with google analytics. Id imagine youre publishing your flash document? thereby creating an html file from flash? if so, the analytics code needs to go in that html file. Basically, whatever is your index page... whichever page people land on when they go to your website... thats where the analytics tag needs to go.

Jun 7, 10 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

check your terms of employment and other employer procedures too. Mine has specific procedures to follow which, if followed, allows us to show most of our work.... but yes, when in doubt, check with your principal... especially as s/he may have made contractual confidentiality undertakings to the client while the project is still in design.

Jun 7, 10 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
J.

And what about if you currently work there, but are using the website to find work elsewhere. Isn't there a bit of an awkward moment asking a current employer about permission to show work for something that seems obviously for self marketing for another job?

Jun 8, 10 10:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: