Archinect
anchor

Bringing in Work...

Larchinect

For the more experienced, when did you start bringing in work to your current or former firm(s) and what was it like? How did it happen and how did you deal with the potential clients peronalities and negotiations?

I am a junior level landscape architect (unlicensed, so I am actaully a designer) with a LA degree, fwiw. I graduated just about a year ago from a local university and subsequently went for around 6 months unemployed. In that time I worked diligently on my portfolio and website. Through these two things I've actaully had two calls regarding my availability to work on fairly 'prestigious' (poor word choice perhaps) project in the area, both of which have yet to follow-through, but nonetheless exciting. It looks like one project will happen, we're just waiting for the deal to go through and the other seems pretty uncertain, but the client owns some very important land.

I'm working in a very small office and my boss and I have had the discussion about a raise or bonus considering the potential work I'm bringing now. I declined, maybe stupidly, a raise about a month ago in lieu of waiting for the project terms to be solidifed and now I'm still waiting.

I guess what I'm getting at is that some of these experiences are probably somewhat out of the ordinary for a junior level person, and that the experience in terms of the business aspects has been somewhat humbling in that I realize how little I understand (or really care to) about the mechanics of business behind the design and pretty pictures.

What advice would you give?

Any feedback is appreciated..

May 17, 10 1:09 pm
mightylittle™

here's my advice:

think long and hard about this statement you just made...

I realize how little I understand (or really care to) about the mechanics of business

see what i just did there? you should care far more about the business of business than about pretty pictures.

pretty pictures don't pay no bills, and the mechanics of business is what allows those pretty pictures to mean something.

May 17, 10 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

I see what you did there and appreciate that, but as cliche and corny as it sounds my first priority is to be very good at what I do, my craft--'pretty pictures'... rainbows, unicorns, and roller skates if you will. Yeah, I know.

But really, my view of business, free enterprise, capitalism and the like is akin to the simplicity of running a lemonade stand. I care little for the politics and bargaining, but I understand it's necessary.

When did you start bringing in work to your office? How did you retain those relationships, or did you? Should I ask for a raise yet?

May 17, 10 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

of course you need to be good at your primary craft. that's the work-product you're selling, i'm just pointing out that you cannot afford to ignore the business side.

in both of my last two jobs, i brought in a significant amount of work. the first was a sole proprietor, the second a large contracting firm.

in the case of the first, i negotiated a higher hourly rate on the projects i brought in. regarding the second, they were a soul sucking nightmare of mis-management that i would've preferred not to ever introduce current or prospective clients to, and i did not negotiate any additional compensation for the value-added work.

it was understood that it was for the longer term good, but i couldn't stick around long enough to reap the "benefits" that never seemed to arrive.

it took some two to three years at the first firm before i considered it appropriate to bring work in house, but that was my situation. your mileage may vary.

perhaps you could consider negotiating an increase in responsibility for the clients you've brought to the table? if not a raise, per se, maybe you could be their point of contact, learn a bit of contract negotiations, scope discussions, or the like.

May 17, 10 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
outed

la - to answer your question:

#1 - you haven't brought anything in yet (at least until the contract is signed and invoices are being paid). not saying that to be an ass, but if i had a nickel for every 'prestigious' project that was talked about with us, i could retire. consequently, i simply don't measure anything but closed deals.

#2 - for your situation, a lot depends on the money involved: if you're potentially getting these projects, but the fees being tossed around are so low it'll be hard for the firm to break even....well, that's hard to say. in general, the firms i've worked for in the past would typically have the person who brought the project in actually run the thing. if it made money, they got a nice cut of the profit (say 25%). if it didn't make any money, then no bonus. to me, it always seemed pretty fair - there was more pressure on you to deliver on the follow through.

now, if you're in a situation you couldn't legitimately run it, then just ask for a raise or bonus. trick, again, is how much the firm is really making on the deal, how badly they want/need the project, and how much your personal connection means in sealing the deal.

May 17, 10 10:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: