Archinect
anchor

how to get rid of the white bar when printing?

cmrhm

When i use jet printer to print any documents, there is always a white bar on four edges, I know that is because the cartridge need the space to hold the paper. It is quite annoying since it change the outlook of the document I designed.

I wonder if there is anyway to get rid of this white bar?

Thanks.

May 3, 10 3:41 pm

The border/margin, you mean? Check your printer's manual to see if it does borderless printing, else you're out of luck.

May 3, 10 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

a ruler and an x-acto blade... thats how we do it at my office

May 3, 10 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Thanks for the tip, ismith. If not, I guess I will try kinkos then.

May 3, 10 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

kinkos will charge you, and will do the same thing... they will print on a larger sheet of paper and trim it down... full bleed printing is still largely a labor of love and patience...

May 3, 10 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
LML

look for alternatives to kinkos--there are usually a bunch of good reprographics places on the wrong side of the tracks that'll do it cheaper--exacto/straight edge for just a few pages

May 3, 10 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Easiest way is to design with borders. I make pages with about 3/8" all the way around, looks like you designed it that way.

For printing at Kinkos (or on lasers) you can usually get away with less border, but ask them before you design the pages.

May 3, 10 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

buy a printer that performs full bleed printing.

I have one, (Brother commercial forthcoming) it is made by Brother, it prints and scans 11 x 17" documents, and for most simple jobs, it's perfect. It was 200$ at Office Max. For the price of outsourcing a few presentation jobs, you can have it all.

May 3, 10 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Thanks for all the input. Valuable stuff. now I have two ops for white bar.
design a layout to anticipate it for most printers.
use full bleed printing printer
cut by hand

I here have a further q after finsihing design my new resume:
after I did a layout in illustrator, and save it into pdf format, the printing result was different with what I see on the screen. I select non-scale feature on the printing setup page. Anyone knows the reason for causing this?

May 6, 10 11:55 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

print on 11X17 paper and cut it down from there.

May 6, 10 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
streetlevelfoto

CMRHM - there are lots of possible reasons the PDF print is different than what you see on screen. There could be transparency interactions, page format options buried in the PDF conversion, driver differences between Illus and Acrobat... hard to say for sure without seeing both files.

In general, make sure your Illustrator document size and color space is kosher before you convert or save as PDF. That will help with most of the possible problems.

May 10, 10 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

streetlevelfoto:

Thanks for pointing out kosher. By quick checking, it seems this is sth control the layout. But very few resource talking about it.

What is it really? Thanks.

May 10, 10 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
streetlevelfoto

CHRHM - sorry, I use kosher as a figure of speech to mean that everything checks out ok.

There are lots of layout factors. Document size. Printer settings. Artboard and crop areas. It's very hard to know what's at play from your description. Sorry I can't be of more help.

May 11, 10 12:17 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

OK. I will figure it out by myself then. I guess it is Illustrator preference setting issue.

May 11, 10 12:44 am  · 
 · 
beefeaters

What looks different? The colors? The line weights?

If its the colors you need to set a color profile, as the documents are going from illustrator to pdf to printer, all are using different color spaces if you havent managed them correctly. Most printer websites have color profiles for a specific printer that you can download.

If its the lineweights, Acrobat has a default setting to "Enhance thin lines" so thin lines look thicker on screen then they actually are when printed.

May 11, 10 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: