Archinect
anchor

studio sleep space

andytee

somehow a few weeks ago i came across some photos of small sleeping nooks constructed in an architecture studio, and perhaps it's end of semester procrastination but i've become obsessed with the idea and have been turning a design for a space in my studio over in my head.

however, i can't remember at all where i saw the image - maybe one of the school blogs here, maybe something on flickr, maybe who knows what else. i remember two constructed nooks, maybe black paint on them. can anyone help me re-find them, or remind me what they were?

i'm also curious to hear other stories of constructed sleep space in studios or other non-traditional locations. especially studios.

the classic sleeping under the desk thing (http://www.flickr.com/photos/35898001@N00/213406755/) is really not satisfying or exciting, and the floor in our studio and fucking gross.

Apr 29, 10 2:24 pm
josimar
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/prolite-plus/product

That makes it comfortable to sleep just about anywhere, which makes it good for floors at school, airports and especially camping. Packs up super small too.

Apr 29, 10 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
andytee

yes, thanks - but what i am excited about is a community use semi-private space, like a booth and nook, that is dedicated to the purpose.

it's killing me that i saw these photos somewhere online just a few weeks back and can't remember where.

Apr 29, 10 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
kyleseyz
http://www.wrapanap.com/
May 1, 10 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
andytee

that's awesome.

May 1, 10 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

maybe it was these student lounge things at michigan that were designed by PEG:ola...

May 3, 10 8:00 am  · 
 · 
andytee

ooh, nice. i don't think that's the one i saw, but it's closer to what i was thinking of. thanks!

May 3, 10 10:00 am  · 
 · 
d-arch

Listen, sorry guys and gals, but this really is a silly conversation.
Architects-in-training over fetishise overwork, self sacrifice and endurance, and it's a self-destructive, self-perpetuating attitude.

Figure out how to get faster, more focused and more efficient, or you are setting yourself up for an endless grind of late nights at school and in the office, which are almost never really necessary and no one really appreciates.

The sooner you abandon this need to prove you are the most hardcore by avoiding your own bed, by measuring productivity purely in terms of hours awake through preternatural caffeination, the sooner you will realize that you can get 90% (or more) of the work done with 10% of the all-nighters, and that the people who are 'slacking' have become leadership by delegating their production work to you while they focus on more important things.

May 4, 10 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
andytee

thanks for the moralizing, but i'm interested in this more as a design project than anything else, and posting here mostly in hopes of tracking down a specific precedent i stumbled across a while ago and forgot the details of.

i largely agree with you about the perils of making a fetish of exhaustion.

there's a spot in our huge, high ceilinged brutalist mess of a studio building that seems just right for a terunobu fujimori inspired place of refuge. something enclosed, apart, and above. call it a tea house if you want to, but it would also be a good place for a nap. and culture-of-exhaustion issues aside, it's always nice to have a good cosy private spot for a nap.

May 5, 10 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

skank tank

May 5, 10 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
andytee

yes, that possibility has occurred, but the building is also home to a lot of more private and more seedy random bathrooms off of rarely used stairwells, etc., while this place is right above a well occupied public area.

May 5, 10 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
ballyhoo

could it be this?
http://gsappsleep.tumblr.com/

May 6, 10 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
andytee

hahahahahahaha.

when this gets developed i'll have to see plans to those guys.

May 6, 10 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
andytee

see = sell.

May 6, 10 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: