Archinect
anchor

Things to see in los angeles?

jennysue

I'm going next week, first timer...... any recommendations of interesting things to see/ places to go/ food to eat?

Apr 27, 10 2:47 pm
do2

Schindler house... and the lorcan o'hurley, habotat 825 multi family project next door.

Apr 27, 10 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

how many days are you going to be in town?
where are you staying?
will you have a car?

Apr 27, 10 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
jennysue

i'll be there thursday night thru tuesday morning next week. staying in echo park with a friend, will have a car.

Schindler house...YES!

Apr 27, 10 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Pasadena: Gamble House and City Hall
Downtown LA: City Hall and Central Library
West Hollywood: Pacific Design Center (not far from the Schindler)
Westwood: UCLA campus
West LA: Getty Center
Santa Monica: Palisades Park

Have fun!

Apr 27, 10 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

hit up the big stuff downtown - disney concert hall and the cathedral of our lady of the angels of the city of los angeles of the state of california of the country of the u.s.a. of el mundo.

then run across the 101 and check out that coop himmelblau l.a. unified high school/roller coaster though i don't know if that's open or how dangerous it is (hey, it's l.a. unified!).

and while you're north of the 101 you'll end up in chinatown and i recommend dim summin' it up at the empress pavilion on hill street (blues!).

and it ain't super-cool hot modern indexing/regressing/rhinoed/blobby (do people still blob?)/grasshoppery but i really like the little greene & greene gamble house tour.

yeah!

Apr 27, 10 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

You could check out the Eames House as well...

You can spend a good day walking around downtown and see a lot of different work by big names. Highschool #9 by Coop, the Catholic Cathedral by Moneo, the Disney Concert Hall by Gehry, & the Caltrans building by Morphosis are all within a few (large) blocks from each other.

You can could check those out in the morning, grab a bite to eat at Grand Central Market for lunch, and then spend an afternoon checking out Little Tokyo, the Artist District, wander into sci-arc. There's tons of places to eat so I suggest just walking around there and finding something that looks interesting to you.

Farmlab has cool little seminars and talks, usually on Fridays I think, and the Geffin (in little tokyo) is showing that exhibit on Venturi & Scott-Brown right now.

Apr 27, 10 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

looks like I got beat to it...

Apr 27, 10 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Mossland!

Apr 27, 10 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

word, you can drive to Culver City and see a bunch of EOM in a small area just east of downtown.

Also, I know it's touristy, but it's a lot of fun to rent bikes at the Santa Monica pier and bike down to Marina Del Rey. Lots of bars and restaurants along the way. You can ride into Venice Beach and check out Mao's Kitchen for good Chinese Food.

Apr 27, 10 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

that's right, loopy! though citizen beat me to the great gamble house suggestion

but i forgot the caltrans district 7 building (NOT District 9 oh no!)

also downtown/near downtown is union station - it's been in a lot of movies and t.v. crap the one example i can think of is 12 monkeys starring bruce willis and brad pitt (hubba hubba!) and then go a couple blocks north and cross the street to philippes from some cheap french dip sandwhiches and coffee and pie (yum, that's good pie!)

Apr 27, 10 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

Listen to the Smiths and sketch beaux-arts mid-rises on the back of a greeting card while being mopey.

Apr 27, 10 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

While your out and about in Mossland head down Venice Blvd and visit the Museum of Jurassic Technology. It's beyond explanation. And it's conveniently located near India Sweets and Spices. For $5.99 you can have an Indian food inducted coma that is ever so tasty. Plan for a good long nap afterward.

Many of the younger offices in town have some smaller work scattered across the city in the form of interior buildouts and facade improvements. Worth doing some research to see some of the newer work around town.

Apr 27, 10 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

speaking of listining to the smiths and beaux-artsy sketchin' has anyone been to the bradbury building? supposedly you can only go into the lobby and can't see a whole lot .. intotheloop are you in the loop?

Apr 27, 10 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

I have actually never gone in, but I've also heard you can't go all the way up.

FRaC, are you asking if I'm a political satire about english/anglo politcal relations?

Apr 27, 10 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

nah - just wanted to know if you (or anyone) knows the secret handshake to really check out ze bradbury building. i think there's some architecture tour you can sign up for that takes you up the atrium space but i ain't got time (or cash) for that ..

Apr 27, 10 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

you can try...

Apr 27, 10 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

Or maybe a LA Conservancy Tour?

https://secure2.convio.net/lac/site/Ecommerce?store_id=1922&VIEW_HOMEPAGE=true&FOLDER=0&TYPE=&NAME=&JServSessionIdr004=8czszk2nj4.app202a

It says on there that they go to the Bradbury Building, but it would be wise to check with them to see if they get to walk up to the top.

Apr 27, 10 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

oh YES! *strokes beard*

thanks strlt_typ !!

Apr 27, 10 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Isn't there an architecture office on the top floor?

Apr 27, 10 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

yeah, plus you'll need to drop $10 bones and a couple hours. Typs got the right idea.

Apr 27, 10 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

haha, if so, then you could apply to work for the architecture office...

Apr 27, 10 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

yeah that's what i was thinking, intotheloop

so it's $10 and they put the little * after the bradbury building which means:

Bradbury Building*

* Interiors visited, subject to availability

maybe i'll have to contact the tour peeps to see what exactly that means regarding brad's building

it's a 2-1/2 tour and you're seeing a bunch of stuff so they can't be spending too much time in one place

Apr 27, 10 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

I actually just called because I have some friends coming to visit LA and thought it would be cool to finally check the building out. They said that even on the tour you don't get to go up past the first level as most of the space is occupied by LAPD Internal Affairs.

If I do this, I need to remember my protest posters so I can join the march afterward.

Apr 27, 10 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

yeah i should protest, too!

i mean, what part of 'illegal' do those illegal aliens and illegal alien supporters not understand?

Apr 27, 10 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

eh, let's not wade into this one, shouldn't have brought it up. All I'm saying is I wouldn't be caught drinking Arizona Iced Tea on Saturday in downtown LA...

Another good thing to do if you haven't been to LA is to take Mulholland Drive from the Westside all the way east. It will give you a good sense of how the place is laid out.

Apr 27, 10 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Loop makes a great point: drive!

Taking Sunset Boulevard from downtown LA to the ocean provides an amazing cross-section, as it were, of Angeleno landscapes and social life.

Apr 27, 10 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Barnsdall Park: the FLW Hollyhock House

Any of the FLW Textile Block houses: Ennis, Storer, Millard.

The Neutra Lovell House, Hollywood

Drive through Hancock Park, or Bel Air, or Beverly Hills.

Greystone, the Doheny Estate in Beverly Hills, is a great period house, with beautiful gardens.

Just buy the David Gebhard guide to LA Architecture, and drive around.

Apr 27, 10 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

and don't forget Silver Lake - Neutra, Schindler etc. as well as some newer things . . . spend a some time with a map and make a big loop beach to downtown in the flats and back again through the hills.

Apr 28, 10 12:18 am  · 
 · 
LOOP!

Also, while Philippes is really good, the Eastside Market Italian Market, in Chinatown is really amazingly good. If you get the chance go Thursday morning to Eastside Market and get the lasagna, sooo good.

Canters, located in Mid City is a great deli that's open late. Mexican food at El Tarasco's, if you make it to Venice or Southbay...

Apr 28, 10 12:53 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

If you anyone stops you when you are trying to go up the stairs at the Bradbury, you can say you are there to make a complaint with LAPD's Internal Affairs Office. Serious.

Related note: On the ground floor/Broadway side is the fantastic Ross Cutlery, where OJ may or may not have purchased the murder weapon. Great place to buy wet shaving accessories or professional hair cutting supplies.

Apr 28, 10 1:24 am  · 
 · 

As of now...

Dec 31, 10 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

The food at this West Hollywood restaurant is amazing: http://www.animalrestaurant.com/

Check out the bar... it is raw copper which has been left to patinate from wine-glass rings and random spills, etc. Really cool-looking.

The block that the restaurant is on has a lot of cool shops & galleries that are open late. There is a book store across the street that sells a lot of hard-to-find art & poetry books, and there is a DJ store a few doors down that has an amazing display of turntables.

Have fun!!

Dec 31, 10 5:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: