Archinect
anchor

Software newbie: Why/when to use Photoshop/Illustrator/Sketchup?

fleur

Hi,
I'm starting MLA in August and thought I would try to learn a little of some of the relevant software this spring/summer. I know the intro/basics of AutoCad but have no experience with Photoshop (except for Auto adjust!), Illustrator or Sketchup. Not asking for step by step instructions but am interested in what types of things you use the programs for when representing your work. At what stage do you "take your design into Photoshop, Illustrator, etc". Also, any suggestions for particularly helpful/relevant tutorials would be great. Thanks!

Apr 27, 10 5:53 am
do2

Not sure there is a answer to this. I think it varies with what your trying to achieve.

Do a search on the web or amazon for Scott Onstott "Enhancing CAD Drawings with Photoshop" its an older book but I think it will help.

Apr 27, 10 11:22 am  · 
 · 
trace™

SU - 3D, modeling, design work and rendering (although you'd at least need a plugin, like VRay, to make the rendering a high quality image)

Photoshop - take your rendering into Photoshop to add a sky, landscaping, people and adjustments.

PS - is a bitmap editing program, meaning it works with pixels and is geared towards "photo" like images (it has text and vector capabilities, but they are limited).

Illustrator - this is a vector based program. So, like Autocad, the lines and fills that make up the shapes are mathematical calculations. This allows you to scale the art work indefinitely, without losing any quality.

This is what a graphic artist uses for logos, so you can print on a business card just as easily as you can print on a billboard.

Autocad - Illustrator - you can take a floor plan from Autocad into Illustrator to pretty it up (adding solid walls, etc.). They are both vector programs, so you can bring the floor plans into Ill, make pretty, then export as a PDF (which keeps the vectors, allowing you to scale, zoom in, etc.)

(Note that you cannot do this with a bitmap image, like a jpeg, tiff, targa, gif)

The www.lynda.com tutorials are great, but you can also find tons of free ones here and there. Personally, I bought books and learned from there.
Nowadays you can probably find tons of free videos, too (I know Adobe has a bunch).

Apr 27, 10 11:36 am  · 
 · 
fleur

Thanks so much -- sounds like fun!

Apr 28, 10 5:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: