Archinect
anchor

School Desk Proposal

caste

ok, so here is the proposal:
Remeber in school when you had safety drills and you would go under your desk to protect yourself from tornados, earthquakes and nuclear war. I feel its time to redesign the school desk. Sure the old desk was adequate for old disasters, but I feel now that the kiddies deserve more. Im lookin for a anti-wmd desk. Now im sure there are those of you with photoshop and a hankering to do some ironic collaging but please try to steady yourself and resist that adobe urge. Lets not have any Rem inspired insipid design, rather I think we deserve some suprer badass school desks. If anyone is ammenable I will actually write a brief.
thank you and have a nice day

May 25, 04 12:19 am
CIIW

i'll model something in max when i get some free time. sounds like fun.

May 25, 04 12:32 am  · 
 · 
caste

just to make it clear this isnt meant to be straight out, social commentary (not obvious social critique) is the idea. and remeber its all for the children...and just a little ego

May 25, 04 1:15 am  · 
 · 
Ormolu

Did your school actually make you do this? I went to elementary school in the mid 70s and even by then this "duck and cover" thing was only talked about in a nostalgic way - as something that was taught in schools in the 50s.

May 26, 04 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

hmmm... i like the idea. how about if we make this an informal Archinect competition? each entry can be submitted to a new, specially created folder in the image gallery, with 1 image, title, and description. I can get a couple impartial judges and try to find a sponsor to offer a prize to the winner... an ipod or something like that.

thoughts?

May 26, 04 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
Frit

Sounds like fun.

May 26, 04 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
CIIW

i'm all for a showdown!

i did 'duck and cover' drills when i was in TX. tornados + small childeren dont mix so well, ya know.

May 26, 04 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
Brim

Sounds like a good idea for fun Paul...go for it.

May 26, 04 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
caste

I went to school in the 80's in illinois and we did both the duck under the desk and the crouch in the hallway. Maybe its because of the tornados but for the sake of this 'competition' I dont think it matters. Ok so unlike a real competition lets figure out how much time people wanna take to do this thing. Post if you are interested and in a couple of days we will actually set a date and some infromal programtic elements.

May 26, 04 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

Sounds good. I'm in. It shouldn't take much more than 3 weeks after anouncement, no?

May 26, 04 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
todd

sounds good, will wait for the brief by caste

May 26, 04 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
caste

Ill get things ready by tommorow nite...anyone interested post so I know what to expect

May 26, 04 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
Frit

I went to grade school in coastal Georgia, and we had hurricane drills. How the hell does a hurrican sneak up on you to the point you got 3rd graders doing duck & cover within sight of the beach?

I'm in.

May 27, 04 12:16 am  · 
 · 
TED

i am confused.

How many finalists will there be? Can we have mre information? when will we be notified if we win? can i enter aspart of a team or by my self? If it was a team, do you have to notify all of the team members? Did they call only you and no one else? do you notify the losers and no one else on Archinect? is there a site? Where they site specific depite not receiving any site information? do we have to have a booklet? How long was you booklet? Did you write 500 words for the intro? what about more text throughout the booklet? How do we bind the booklet? What color was the cover? Did you have a cover and then 10 pages or was your cover part of the required 10? who is the jury? did they sleep with qualude?

May 27, 04 12:32 am  · 
 · 
CIIW

i just want to model some action satisfaction!

count me in. i'm willing to team up w/ some people, too.

now, thanks to the cool e-mail feature (thanks, paul!), we can communicate via archinect, too.

May 27, 04 1:29 am  · 
 · 
anti

is this an international competition? What if all the winners are from chicago? Does that mean the chicago designers of WMD proof desks are the best ?

Im in. . .

May 27, 04 5:14 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

this is the best idea i have heard in a long time.
at my office we still practice the "duck and cover" method of hiding from clients or natural disasters. we all cower under our oversized drafting desks and pretend like we are hiding out in a secret bunker that no one knows about.
you can count me in
WMD proof desks here i come.

my only question, what is the peramiters of the type of desk we are to design? desks for elementary school chil;dren, highschool children, or just an all purpose "it will save you butt in nuclear fallout" desk?

May 27, 04 8:37 am  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

Great Idea lets do it!

May 27, 04 11:18 am  · 
 · 
betamax

damn straight...im in...like cornbread in milk baby!

May 27, 04 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
caste

-To begin with this is intended to be an informal ‘competition’. If you are interested in a competition that will garner you prestige or a commission then go away. You will receive nothing, and besides the people who happen upon this no one will ever recognize the time and effort you will expend. That being said you probably would not get any of the above in any other ‘real competition’. There will be no winner, unless you want me to pick one but you don’t know me and I don’t know you so what do you care what I think. Any and all guidelines set below may be violated with the exception of the ban on collaging. NO COLLAGES OR MONTAGES. They are the exclusive realm of numb minds. (bias noted)

-Hopefully all entries will be to be posted on Archinect, if not I’ll provide some space on another website. Any way it cuts this will be a web based competition which should inform the submissions. No one wants to read a big bullshitted proposal so don’t waste your time. You know what they say about writing about architecture. In any case all entries should contain about 5 images. These images can be accompanied by a vary vary vary brief blurb, but you should rely on the images to convey the project. All images should be sized so as to not bore the hell out of anyone with prolonged downloading time.

-All entries should be submitted to a forthcoming email address by the 15th of June, or posted at Archinect by that same deadline.

-the program is as follows. Provide a desk based shelter for children to avoid the oh so terrible results of a WMD incident. As a bonus if it can withstand your local wrath of god event (flood, hurricane, tornado or earthquake) you earn bonus points for your commitment to local boosterism. That’s all, improvise as you go.

-questions will be answered if they are deemed not completely idiotic. Post in this thread.

-And make it good….or else

May 27, 04 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
caste

Feel free to ignore the brief

May 27, 04 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
CIIW

i'm starting right now.

*click* *click*

May 27, 04 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

Its something we've dealt with before, not nuclear war or anything (who wants to bomb Montserrat), but handling the blast from a volcanic eruption. Reinforced desks, what is strong enough? Yet mobile enough for a classroom?

May 28, 04 8:45 am  · 
 · 
caste

if you cant post here the backup email is [email protected]

May 29, 04 12:44 am  · 
 · 

a real stupid design;

video

duh..

May 6, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
binary

just got a cadillac........ throw some wmd's on' it

May 6, 07 7:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: