Archinect
anchor

M Arch Programs that value hand drawings in the admission process

Buff03

Hi Guys,

I'm a first time poster and have been checking out Archinect for about 5 months now. Do you guys know of any particular M Arch programs that place extra value or have a slight preference on quality hand drawings during the admission process (outside of any ivies---I'm not trying to get into a top 10 program) I'm going to be applying to a 3.5yr program and have a B.A. in Econ from CU Boulder so my portfolio will consist of hand drawings, paintings and prints. I saw on the commiserate thread that Univ of Miami likes hand drawings according to the poster who got in and received a nice scholarship - congrats by the way! What other programs do you guys know of that are known to like this type of portfolio. Most of the ones I've seen posted here are all the beautifully rendered digital types. The three admissions offices I've spoken with (Univ Kansas, Univ New Mexico, Univ Houston) have not shed any light on this and stick to the same standard blurb you get at every arch dep website i.e. creative works consisting of drawings, prints, tech drawings, writing samples etc, etc etc. Any advice you all could give would be great thanks!!

Apr 13, 10 2:03 pm
IamGray

Not USA based, but the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg, Canada and Carelton University (Ottawa) are two programs that put a great deal of emphasis on drawing in particular.

In the states, all I can really think of off the top of my head is Cooper Union NY. Depending on the studio professor, there's a good chance much of your time will be spent in front of a drafting table.

Apr 13, 10 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Architwhat

Notre Dame is a great example of a traditional architecture education. Andrews University in Michigan is big on hand-drawing as well. I'd put Miami above both of those because I have a great deal of respect for their approach to "new urbanism."

I'd strongly recommend attending a summer program before you apply, it's not only a great way to see what it's really like to be in the actual program but you get a chance to make an impression on the professors who will be reviewing your application.

I attended Notre Dame's career discovery program during my senior year of high school. Although, I didn't apply to Notre Dame because it wasn't the right fit, it made me realize that architecture was the right major for me.

Just keep in mind, you are applying to a 3.5 year program where not everyone is going to have a background in art or drawing coming in. I'm sure if you have strong drawings or interesting sketches that any school that you apply to will appreciate them.

Apr 13, 10 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

in my opinion the medium doesn't matter so much... what matters is that it is good... and perhaps even more important is that it is presented well in the portfolio...

university of florida has traditionally had an emphasis on hand-drawing and model making, at least in the early years of the program...

Apr 13, 10 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

I went to New School of Architecture And Design(San Diego) in 02' They had then, a strong emphasis on hand drawing all the way through the M.Arch programs(4+2 and 4+3) I was admitted on the basis of my hand drawings esp. perspective, and design axonometrics. In actual practice, I use Revit and have found hand sketching expedites the process. here is another thing - hand drawing helps you memorize design. Before a test in structures, or building technology, codes and or architecture history, I would sketch all the problems by hand in my sketchbook, then come test day, it was a snap to memorize what I did(provided I did not leave anything out). Here is another one, When you are working on computer, you are memorizing keystrokes and mouse clicks - not design. if you sketch it, you memorize the design.

Also learn how to hand sketch people, and put them into your design sketches - it really lifes them up and gives a human perspective to things.

Other schools are UC Berkeley and CCA in San Francisco

Apr 13, 10 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
clearlyambguous

Try University of Washington. Frank Ching was our professor for our undergraduate Design Drawing classes. He hardly teaches anymore, but hand drafting is a MUST for that program. There is a great amount of respect for it.

Apr 13, 10 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
Buff03

Thanks for the response everyone! I'll definitely take this into consideration.

Apr 13, 10 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
azcue

Buff03 ---> What kind of experience do you have when it comes to drawing? Do you have an artistic background? Is drawing a hobby?

Lets not confuse drawing , which when I say it refers to freehand sketching, with drafting.

I can speak for the University of Miami's tradition of emphasis on drawing by hand. However, don't expect that to be the only medium they use. You will most likely get a very healthy dose of freehand in your courses, but will be able to experiment with other forms of rendering.
Do you have an email, and I can talk to you more about this?

Apr 13, 10 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
JDR415

I am in my second semester at U of Miami's 3.5 year program and would agree that hand drawing is a large part of the school's tradition. For the first semester studio, we were required to hand draft all work and produce basswood models for both midterm and final projects. We also had a drawing class (partially coordinated w/ studio) that consisted of half orthogonal drafting and half perspective drawing/rendering. Our studio projects were coordinated to align with our drawing assignments and really emphasized the importance and the role of representation in architecture. Design is design, regardless of the medium used - but it should always be well crafted no matter what.

This semester, all presentation drawings have been done on AutoCAD with computer rendering and massing models encouraged. At this point, all students in the class are expected to produce well-crafted AutoCAD drawings of studio projects with a strong understanding and use of line weight. Many are using Revit, 3D Max, and Photoshop as well so you get exposed to quite a variety of to use for representation. 2nd semester studio has been directed towards contemporary design within a mixed context of classical and modern buildings. (Havana's Malecon)

Apr 13, 10 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
Buff03

Hi Azcue,

By drawings I would be talking about free hand drawings of still lifes, landscapes and the human figure.

As far as my artistic background goes I have always loved drawing ever since I was little. I think a big part of this was because my mom was an elementary art school teacher for 24 years so I always had plenty of art supplies growing up. Until recently, I've never really done much with my talent. I took two drawing classes at CU and have drawn a few works in my free time but never anything serious. After college, I was an officer in the army for four years and did not have much time to enjoy drawing. I got out 2 yrs ago and have had plenty of time to take stock of what I really want to do with my life and the direction I want to go.

Right now I work full time and am taking classes at night and on the weekends at the community college to get an associates degree in computer aided design - I'm proficient in AutoCAD, Civil 3D and will take some more classes in Revit, 3DS Max and a few other programs - I'm also taking drawing and painting classes as well to further develop my art skills and to add pieces to my portfolio. I know that the CAD stuff is really not important for a portfolio and many schools do not want to see CAD drawings unless they are part of projects or original work you are part of. I don't plan on putting any CAD work in my portfolio. I thought that getting the degree in computer aided design would help me at least break into the industry on even a small level as a cad tech in case I don't get accepted into a program right away and being proficient in these programs could help me when I get into school. I also thought it would show an admissions panel that I'm really serious about pursuing architecture and this is not just a whim. After spending 4yrs in the army and now 2 years in corporate America I just want to do something that I love and don't really care about making big bucks. Sorry about the long winded response but that's basically my situation right now.

I was interested in M Arch programs that value free hand drawings because I think my drawing skills will be the strongest part of my application since my GPA suffered from spending the first three semesters of school in engineering. Any other tips you guys could give me would be great. Also a good email address to reach me at is [email protected]

Apr 14, 10 8:30 am  · 
 · 
Pythagoras

Buff03 - you need to show the thinking process! I can totally relate to your story about coming full circle before you realized that architecture is the profession you wont mind spending the rest of your life indulging in. Coming from someone who has the unfortunate experience of applying to grad schs with a drawings-only portfolio and rec'd an all round rejection, I have to caution you against relying too heavily on a drawing-centric portfolio. Architecture is very much a visual discipline and having a gorgeous portfolio can only be mesmerizing to an adcomm that has to review hundreds of apps. I was naive enough to think that drawings could get me into grad sch. I was totally wrong. Unless you have a way to showcase the thinking process of how you arrive at your drawing, I say it's better to include a variety of work in your submission, including some studio work if possible. Don't bother to spend time writing to the school to fish for details - they won't say. This is my own painful experience which I am willing to share here on archinect, cus I dont think anyone deserves to be punished so unfairly and painfully. I had no one to turn to, and i chanced upon archinect only after the app deadlines were over. I knew my chances were nil even before the results were out. I can sense your passion. Good luck ! We may have a chance to be classmates next year !

Apr 14, 10 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Buff03

Okay thanks. Miami and Notre Dame both look like good fits for me. I like the more traditional approach and focus on hand drawings as a part of the education. Pythagoras where all did you apply?

Apr 22, 10 8:25 am  · 
 · 
mespellrong

I had a bunch of hand drawings and paintings in my portfolio. I know that SAIC responded positively to them, and that Columbia responded negatively. SciArc, Harvard, and IIT didn't react to that part of my application one way or another.

Apr 22, 10 11:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: