Archinect
anchor

Acceptances Letters came back

talentjones

okay here is the deal. im in my late 20's and i have a financial industry background. i worked in the financial industry at various front office capacities for the past 10 years. For the last 4 years i have been in the commercial real estate space doing investment banking and i have been more intrigued by the the design and creative side of the business, however i dont want to completely abandon my finance background. i recently decided to change my career to architecture. I applied to 6 schools. My undergrad degree was in finance and information technology with a minor in economics, my gpa was 2.5 overall (primarily because oi was pre-med when i started but changed majors in my 2nd year) graduated with a 3.0 gpa in major. My GRE score was 800, im not a great standardized test taker. i thought i had a good portfolio and excellent reccommendations and decided to apply to M.Arch programs.

Well letters came back, i got waitlisted at Syracuse and Sci-Arc and denied at the others. Not sure what to do or what my next step is...

any advice??? I really want to do this and possibly get my MBA in Design a d Strategy in the process, but i wanted to get into Arch School first. I do have a family but are finances are in order so that we have the flexibility.

Im thinking of doing the summer institute at Harvard and a few others, still trying to decide and see which one is the most cost effective and beneficial for me.

Need advice pronto -- it'll help

Apr 13, 10 2:06 am
med.

Call the schools up and ask to speak to the chair of the grad programs. Ask plenty of questions about your short-commings and make it clear how interested you are in their programs, and how serious you are of pursuing an architectural education and career. There might be a chance they could offer you provisional acceptance.

I speak from experience.

Best of luck!

Apr 13, 10 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
talentjones

@ med. Thanks for the advice. I will do that, and already had been contemplating calling and speaking with a few after all me decisions came back and I knew what my next step was/is.

Now that I have an idea, I will def pursue your advice. Much Appreciated!

BTW: do you have a preference as to what Summer Programs (in Arch) are the best/have the most to offer?

Thanks. TJ

Apr 13, 10 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

Sounds like your still not 100% sure that getting an M arch is right for you. The programs are very intense and expensive in the long run. I would definitely take some introductory courses before making the leap into a grad program. Taking some of these courses could strengthen your body of work and possibly get you into more schools next year if you decide to postpone enrollment.

I came from a science BS as well, took some design classes for a year at a local college and decided that archictecture was it for me. In the long run tt was definitely worth the wait.

Good luck!

Apr 13, 10 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: