Archinect
anchor

UPenn vs Cornell vs Pratt

delirious

I was accepted to these 3 schools. I am an international applicant and hava prof. architecture degree in my country. I applied generally March1 AP programs.

Cornell accepted me to March1 AP. It takes 2.5 year. I am really interested in digital parametric design and fabrication but it is not the only thing that im interested. I want a strong design school. I am not really sure Cornell is actually involved that much with digital design. And they have some problems with accreditation too.

Upenn accepted me to March2. It is 1 year program. It is post prof. so it is not accrediated. It has digital design courses. Strong design studios. More prestiguous than Cornell. But it is only 1 year. I am not sure it is enough to learn many things. Is it much better to go Upenn 1 year instead of 2.5 years to Cornell?

Pratt accepted to March1. 3 years programme. Have strong digital design courses and lots of electives. In NYC. It is just the right programme for me but it is not prestigous as Cornell and UPenn. It is not an Ivy. I am not sure it is as good as them.

I am leaning towards Cornell. I would like to hear some opinions about it. It will help me a lot. I am not going to be able to attend any of the open house event of this universities. And since I am an international applicant, it is really hard to find correct info about them.

Thanks

Apr 1, 10 1:59 pm
tuffgong

if you are seriously into digital design i would consider penn. when i was there they had excellent faculty pushing parametric design and fabrication and you'll will be surroundend by very talented students as well.

Apr 2, 10 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
metal

My general opinion about Cornell for grad school is that its very "smart". However for digital stuff Penn is really good. You could be able to put out great digital work in 1 year. If you go to Cornell, you might be left on your own a lot, without the kind o feedback you would get at Penn. At the end of your studies your digital work will look better coming out of Penn.

I'd like to think that Pratt nowadays is more digitally experimental than Cornell too.

Apr 2, 10 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
anvi

Just look at Penn's school portfolio. If that's the kind of stuff you're into. go to Penn. No questions.

Cornell's website is shit, but is an awesome program. I don't know why you think Penn is more prestigious than Cornell though, but I guess that's opinion. Accreditation should be no problem, NAAB just came by. New building by Rem up in 1 year. It has enough digital classes, of course not as much as Penn. I disagree that you would be left on your own in Cornell. It's a small program... you're supposed to get more attention at a small program.

Don't know anything about Pratt.

Apr 3, 10 2:37 am  · 
 · 
palito77

Not to be sarcastic or anything, but I hope when you graduate you will have the same question, or if any the question will be relevant, when you are trying to find a job.

cheers

pz

Apr 3, 10 7:35 am  · 
 · 
metal

Soon going to architecture school will be like going to art school

Apr 3, 10 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
whimmzie

If you are interested in digital and fabrication penn is defiantly th school to be at. Although many penn professors also have association with pratt and have either taught there in the past or teach there currently. thus despite pratt not being ivy league its still a great school that is actually doing simmilar work to penn.

although penn's program is only one year if you chose your elective courses wisely you can get just as much experience with the digital and fabrication as you probably would want. The opportunity to take course with cecil balmond and ali rahim only can be done at penn.

Apr 4, 10 11:58 am  · 
 · 
delirious

Thank you for all good answers.

I haven't decided yet. I hear lots of good things about the prof. of Upenn. And it is really hard to find info about Cornell. I am not so sure about the OMA prof. who teaches in NYC program. I heard that these names generally don't come to give critics, they come only for juries. Is that true?

About the accrediation thing. Is that really important? Can I still be a licensed architect after graduating from March2? (I have B.Arch degree from an international school)

I am really worried. Still need more help.

Apr 14, 10 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
delirious

I am trying to decide between Cornell and Upenn. Upenn accepted me 1 year March2 program and Corrnel 2.5 year March1 AP program.

I want to study longer however i am not so sure the March quality of Cornell. Upenn has really great Prof.s like Leatherbarrow, Ali Rahim, Cecil Balmond on the other side Cornell has practicing architects in their studio. Most of people says Cornell teaches traditional arch. which is a kind of old stff. They are also not very sure how often practicing architects comes to the studios for critics. my prof. says that don't fall for the fancy architects names like OMA, Rem Koolhaas. They come to their studio only once or twice in one semestre.

Upenn is more digital and focusing more on future systems. If i would be accepted to Upenn's 2 years/3 years March 1 program I would definetly go there. However I am not sure in this situation. Upenn is good in digital design and the last year program of March 1 and March2 has the same curriculum.

I haven't learn anything about digital design in my previous school. So in Upenn my works can look very slow and basic in digital design while studying with March1 students.

I am so worried. I need more help. I am an international std. Please help me :)

Apr 15, 10 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: