Archinect
anchor

Can a graduate from Cornell(m.arch II) find a job in NYC under current economic environment??

luckymini

As the title of topic, I've received an offer from cornell and I am hesitating..... one of advantage of cornell i think is its location (near NYC)
I hear lot of ppl said that it is difficult to find a job. but I still want to know how hard it would be.

Thanks

Mar 15, 10 10:38 pm
iheartbooks

its not about the school as much as it is the person.

I know some people that have bounced around from several jobs recently, and other that can't land a single interview.

Mar 15, 10 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
luckymini

thanks.
actually I am chinese graduate who can find a job in China now. But I still want to broaden my horizon in US since it has the best education in the world. moreover, my thought is if it is possible , attain some job experience in US before i go back to China. I think the attitude toward design and the way of operating project of US firm are also appealling to me.

so the potential job opportunity is also my concern ....

Mar 15, 10 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
blanco teko

Cornell is quite a well-recognized school, especially in the northeastern US. The problem with jobs at the moment is that there aren't any, regardless of which school you've attended.

Mar 16, 10 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
NowStephly

It'll be hard to find a job in NYC right now of course. But if you really want to work in the US after graduating you'll probably have to consider looking outside of NYC at other areas of the country that are doing a little better economically. Cornell is well respected all over the country.

Mar 16, 10 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

define job...

Mar 16, 10 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
montagneux

There's jobs in architecture not doing architect-- if you have scant experience in financial management, bookkeeping, accounting, marketing/new media and project management (not a project manager but the software)... you have a shot at getting into a firm at least.

Mar 16, 10 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
NowStephly

LOL! I mean a job at an architecture firm. For instance, there are some firms hiring in the Southeast. It comes down to how much you want to work and where you're willing to live.

Mar 16, 10 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
plugnpla

The answer is not likely.....If you have an opportunity to work in China, I would take it.

Mar 16, 10 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
luckymini

Yes .thanks all the reply.
In China, the architect is not respected that much that US. architect like a drawer and rapid producer in the industry.because there are too many projects, little ppl will slow down the step to think of the design carefully. That's why I want to study in US and find some work in US.although I know the market of homeland will be my final destination.

Mar 17, 10 8:19 am  · 
 · 
luckymini

SORRY, correct the mistake:"....that much than US."

Mar 17, 10 8:22 am  · 
 · 
tuna

if you go back to school....network. things tends to favor for those that networked with people other than architectural peers. look at other areas as engineering, construction, economics, social studies, and such. it can save you a hassel in the long run.

Mar 17, 10 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: