Archinect
anchor

ANYONE currently getting their Master of Urban Design ?

pdigi

ANYONE currently getting their Master of Urban Design ?

If so, what school are you going to? How do you like it? What other schools did you apply to? How competitive is it?

Thanks!

Mar 11, 10 12:43 pm
pdigi

no one ???

Mar 13, 10 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Hi, pdigi,

I did mine many years ago:

1) at UCLA
2) enjoyed it tremendously; it changed my life, literally
3) USC and Berkeley
4) not very competitive, either to get into, or among admitted students.

I know this probably doesn't help you. Plus, my strong impression is that UCLA has all but dropped UD from everything but the department name.

I just didn't want your thread to disappear into the night....

Mar 13, 10 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
pdigi

I appreciate the feedback citizen.

I'm interested in finding out if it's becoming competitive to get into because many people are returning to school while unemployed ( at least the people I know ). I also want to know what schools have good programs and if any help their graduates with jobs. I'm not sure, but I believe Michigan does this?

I've been on the east coast my whole life and am interested in exploring other areas of the country. So, all feedback is appreciated!

Mar 13, 10 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
Sbeth85

citizen-

i also am considering urban planning... though despite numerous attempts, cannot understand the different between urban planning and urban design (and town planning.)

Care to elaborate?

Mar 14, 10 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
li dandan

the simple difference, at least to me, is urban planning is focused on public administration and urban design is, well, design based. they're fairly interchangeable just slightly different focuses.
town/city planning is urban planning with a different name.

Mar 14, 10 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
Sbeth85

i like designing.

i like sociology.

I don't necessarily like CITIES, though of course I appreciate public space that's well used and serves the community.

does this mean i'll like urban design?

Mar 14, 10 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
pdigi

+ question(s):

Will they get the same job?

Will they get A JOB?

Mar 14, 10 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Sbeth,

Big topic. Big.

There are threads galore on Archinect that supply different takes on the differences. I've written some of them.

Start here:

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=53747_0_42_0_C

After that, enter "urban design planning" in the search box at the bottom of the discussion page.

You'll find a lot of food for thought.

Mar 14, 10 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
Sbeth85

thanks, citizen, again :)

Mar 15, 10 9:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: